Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who would they chose?

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter
If there was a very unlikely situation where a buddhist monk was in great peril, but another monk of the same sect was also in great peril, would this monk save himself or his fellow monk? He is only able to save either himself and let this fellow monk die, or save his fellow monk and he subsequently dies. They are of similar age and rank..

Comments

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    My first thought is that we would need a lot more information before being able to give any kind of opinion on that - and even then it would be at best a guess really or well formed judgement if a lot of detail was known and understood about the entire situation, however this would be most unlikely. There seems to me there could be/ there is no right or wrong, definitive answer due to the multitude of variables even in such an unlikely possible scenario as this one.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I thought of this scenario because I was looking into how buddhism has such strong thoughts on suicide, I even heard somewhere that it is worse than that of taking somebody else's life... I cannot remember the source but I know I have read/heard that somewhere. So I am curious to know what would they actually do in this highly unlikely situation.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well, I don't put myself after other people, but nor do I put myself before them. In that position, I'd save whoever had the most important duties/closest family/friends and stuff. Whoever's death would cause less pain to others.
    In the case of suicide, I'm of two different minds.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    OP: "Rank" doesn't tell us the foundation of a monk's mind. If you were to say there were two Arahants, then each would likely go out of their way to save the other.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't know that this would apply to the situation you describe, ThailandTom, but I seem to recall a lesson concerning compassion wherein the buddha, I believe, speaks of selflessly giving up his body to feed a tigress and her hungry cubs. So I suppose it would come down to compassion versus non-asceticism. :scratch:

Being that these would be monks, and therefore both would likely know the concept of compassion very well, the self-sacrifice for another would likely win out as the choice.

That having been said, these are monks and they could also possibly possess the insight to recognize a possibility of mutual escapes thus making this situation nothing more than a "close call". As others have said though, we would need more specific info to make a determination.

Nanimo:om:
    edited October 2010
    That's what you call selfless, feeding yourself to a hungry tigress. I myself would poop my pants and sneak away, but, it's fight or flight instinct. It would take a lot to just give yourself up.
  • edited October 2010
    Either I have missed the point entirely or there is a more simple question here; if you are stood on the side of the road and see someone just a few steps ahead of you in the middle of the road and there is a truck speeding towards this person.. what do you do?

Let's say the person is deaf, and maybe blind, so you can't shout a warning and the person cannot see the truck..... what do you do?

if you leap into the road the chances are you might be able to push the person clear but you will be hit and killed yourself.... what do you do?

The fact is there are many variables; is the person young with all his / her life ahead of him /herself, is the person old and will die soon anyway, can you reach them, can you not....

The fact is this is all speculation and we can sit and discuss it for days but to be honest I don't think anyone knows what they would do until they are actally faced with the situation itself. Let's hope, perhaps, that we are not faced with it at all!

talk, talk, talk, what if, what if, what if... the original post was talking about monks in particular but surely this is more than a simple 'Buddhist' question, it is a 'humanity' question perhaps?
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I believe it was Kirk who said "I don't believe in a 'no-win' scenario." :)
  • edited October 2010
    ah yes, the 'Kobiyashi Maru' simulation .. (excuse my spelling please!)... of course he did cheat in that one, so that would mean somehow rescuing the person in the street and not getting killed, maybe by manipulating the space time continuum to transfer the oncoming truck to some alternate reality.... oh dear, my Trekkie genes have just kicked in!!!

Mr Scott, beam me up!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Usually there's not enough time for something like that. I agree with whoever stated you can't actually know what you would do... until that situation arises. Many variables, many conditions, and our mental state and how we see the situation will dictate the actions we take.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    In this case, I do not think that it is suicide if the monk decides to save the other monk, and then dies. I mean technically yes it is suicide, but not in intention. He is not wanting to escape life, instead he is wanting to save it.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Have to agree with Zayl here. It's not suicide at all setting aside consideration of one's well-being in order to save another's life. If, in consequence, one's life is lost, so be it! At least one's motives and act were pure!

The only answer I can give to the first post on this thread is that one should first see to saving his fellow monk. On this point I believe all spiritual teachers agree, namely that there is no greater love than for someone to be willing to lay down his life for a friend. Only a very depraved mind IMNSHO would even consider calling that suicide.

There are just some things that seem very clear to me. To be alive and not to have love throbbing in your heart is no life at all. I can imagine no greater adventure nor more noble endeavor than boldly to act to save the life of a friend.
    edited October 2010
    Wise words Nirvana- as always
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    si :)
    edited October 2010
    What does si mean? Do you mean "sigh"??? *tut tut*
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Probably means "si" as in Spanish for "yes".
    edited October 2010
    Por supuesto