Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Form (Rupa) and Perception (Sanna)

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
can anyone explain the difference between form and perception?
(take time before answer please)

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I'm not so sure, I can see how they are tricky from a non-dualistic perspective.

All I can discern is that it appears that rupa is that which has the capacity to be objectively recognised. Anything that can be manifested as a physical or apparently mental formation (which brings to mind a good question: rupa vs skanda) whereas perception seems to be anything whose capacity is subjective and possibly when combined with sensation (vedana) creates mental formations (samskara) all of which together creates consciousness. But it seems they're all one and the same, sort of like the concept of dependent origination maybe? Maybe that's the beauty of it, it's just the skanda torn apart into conventional discernments, but that's not as thought out as I would prefer, so take this for a grain of salt.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If it's not a trick question or you're not looking for some "enlightened" answer, maybe this will do:

Forms/Rupa(s?) are transient [impermanent] physical phenomena, devoid of self nature and dependent upon conditions to arise/change/disperse. They are interdependent with their surroundings and are impossible to describe without making note of how they affect those surroundings in some way. Forms are the purely "physical" phenomena, without consciousness.

Perceptions are mental reflections of Forms as experienced with one or more senses, often become attached views or conceptual templates, and are influenced heavily by ignorance of the nature of those forms and of the aggregates that "perceive"; thus the apparent forms as perceived may differ greatly from the actual phenomena. Perceptions are how humans classify all that they come into contact with, and are one of the factors of "mind".

It is the nature of Forms to change; it is the nature of Perceptions to solidify and preserve an abstract/conceptual view of those Forms. Mind precedes all matter; with wrong view, perceptions stand in stark contrast with reality and are a powerful source of dukkha.

In an ultimate sense, all phenomena including these are empty, and we can then focus on the engineers of change: Conditionality (Karma), Impermanence and Dependent Origination. In this way, there is no difference at all; all phenomena are merely conditioned.

I'm sure you probably have something much cooler and awe-inspiring to say about it upekka or else you wouldn't have asked. :) You've been around, it's gotta be better than what I came up with (probably nice and simple and will make me feel stupid, but I STILL WANNA KNOW! lol).
  • edited October 2010
    In a few words:
    Rupa = matter
    Vedana = Feeling (Pleasure, displeasure, neutral)
    Perception = awareness or "understanding" of sensory information (rupa by contact with the sense organs). For example: recognition of that being a something. The recognition per se, not the application of the category of that something: an animal has perceptions but not the recognition through categories like us.
    Formation and Vijñaña are a little bit more complex to explain in a few words imo, and I should be doing some translations for a seminar class tomorrow :(
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Perception (Sanna)

On coming into contact with a sense-object, the mind perceives it, that is to say, it notes it as to its colour such as: “This is white, this is red, or this is green.” It notes it as to its former shape such as : “This is round, this is flat or this is soft, this is hard and so on. This is called cognition of an object. Once the mind has perceived or cognized an object, it recognizes it as it has cognized on noted. A child who has everything around him to cognize, and which he is able to recognize. Sanna means simple sense-perception, the cognition of a child. It does not know about what the object actually is. It does not know the ‘whys’ and ‘hows’ about it. But the sense perception lasts, so that it enables one to recognize the object that has once been perceived. Repeated recognition of an object as such and such makes the mind conscious of it, like phassa and vedana, that makes the mind conscious of an object. Sanna is called by the object it perceives - not by the sense-door.

Thus there are six kinds of Perception;

1. Rupasanna=the Perception of a visible object,

2. Saddasanna=the Perception of a sound,

3. Gandhasanna=the Perception of a smell,

4. Rasasanna=the Perception of a taste,

5. Photthabbasana=the Perception of a tangible object, and

6. Dhammasanna=the Perception of a mind-object.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    make me feel stupid,
    never under-estimate yourself:)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Thus there are six kinds of Perception;

1. Rupasanna=the Perception of a visible object,

2. Saddasanna=the Perception of a sound,

3. Gandhasanna=the Perception of a smell,

4. Rasasanna=the Perception of a taste,

5. Photthabbasana=the Perception of a tangible object, and

6. Dhammasanna=the Perception of a mind-object.
    and
    there are six kinds of Forms
    1. Rupa-rupa
    2. Sadda-rupa
    3. Gandha-rupa
    4. Rasa-rupa
    5. Photthabba-rupa
    6. Dhamma-rupa

if we (i/you) touch the back of our neck (form) we can not see it but we can feel it
    at the same time we have sort of picture in our mind (sanna) even though we never see the back of our neck

we can do it now and get the experience and think a bit more
    can anyone give an answer to OP, please
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited October 2010
    OP?
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    valois wrote: »
    OP?
    Openning Post:)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Because everything we experience is known through the eyes of perception, and this fact does not change, the fundamental difference becomes... a mere conception, something to guide us. There is no difference.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    everything we experience is known through the eyes of perception, and this fact does not change,

so to what we react?
    so where our ignorance lie?:)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    We react to conditions; or rather reactions are conditioned. The ignorance is in assuming we are separate and that we are in control of anything.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    We react to conditions; or rather reactions are conditioned.
    do not you think
    the perception is the condition (conditioning through the whole history of knowledge of particular thing or incident)?

ignorance is that we think our perception is the true form/condition?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It's true that we are ignorant of the true form, but we can not actually know the true form. We have to experience it through our senses and perception. What we can come to know is the true nature of all formations. Then our perceptions become clear (as clear as they can be), we realize that there is nothing wrong with the world and that everything is exactly the way it is. There are no issues to deal with; there is no self, no birth or death, and all suffering is needless.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It's true that we are ignorant of the true form, but we can not actually know the true form. We have to experience it through our senses and perception. What we can come to know is the true nature of all formations.
    Then our perceptions become clear (as clear as they can be), we realize that there is nothing wrong with the world and that everything is exactly the way it is.
    There are no issues to deal with; there is no self, no birth or death, and all suffering is needless.
    :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well did I learn something, or did you learn something, or what was this all about? :) I was hoping you made the post fully aware of what the answer is (or at least having conviction in one answer), and hoping after several attempts were made that you'd clue us in to that answer. I'm breathless with anticipation, and all that stuff.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    ok
    what i wanted was, for people to see where the problem (suffering) lies and how easily they can grasp it if they look for it

thanks to you, you bring down the thread exactly the way it should be

if one can grasp the perception at the time of the perception arise one will be able to see 'what is dukka, what is the cause for dukka, how can one get rid of dukka and stay without dukka , in other words be able to face to face 'the four noble truths'

one can pay attention to the perception when one is doing walking meditation, sitting meditation or while doing day today activities whenever it reminds oneself
    we use our six sense bases all the time (except when we are sleeping)

we can call this vipassana meditation

remember ,when we say 'paying attention', that means we are trying to grasp the perception at the time the perception arises and it is hard because our attention is always slower than the perception
    but
    one day we will be able to grasp the perception at the time it arises and see everything through and through

thanks for your input Cloud!
    thanks for everyone who participate in this thread!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Good stuff. Felt good to participate, though it still feels like there's something else missing that could be said...

Thanks to you too! (and the other posters)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    still feels like there's something else missing that could be said...
    practice will bring the missing part:)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    And so we go on. :)
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hi Upekka,

Sometimes I think that form is a conceptual construct based on perception. For instance if I see a wall I immediately get the conceptual image that it is solid and flat, and furthermore the conceptual idea that if I was to move my hand toward the wall then it will meet resistance and texture. I also have the conceptual idea that it has matter underneath the surface of the wall, ie if I scratch the surface I will expose some of the inner material of the wall. So to me, the "form" part of the wall is a conceptual entity. Without these concepts the wall becomes formless.

Cheers, WK
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »

Sometimes I think

that form is a conceptual construct based on perception. For instance if I see a wall I immediately get the conceptual image that it is solid and flat, and furthermore the conceptual idea that if I was to move my hand toward the wall then it will meet resistance and texture. I also have the conceptual idea that it has matter underneath the surface of the wall, ie if I scratch the surface I will expose some of the inner material of the wall. So to me, the "form" part of the wall is a conceptual entity. Without these concepts the wall becomes formless.
    see, it still is thinking
    but
    practice will bring the knowing/wisdom:)
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "If we approach sensory experiences with curiosity and awareness, allowing them to come to us rather than seeking them out, we find that no sensory experience is right or wrong or good or bad. The senses are innocent. Unfortunately, often our perception is corrupted by past experiences. Learning to let go of past impressions and habits permits us to see the world as it is rather than as we expect it to be. We learn to be innocent and natural."

This childlike/innocent perception is not identical to a child's perception. Otherwise one would walk into the path of oncoming car. The idea is to drop all preconceived ideas and concepts conditioned through society, thus allowing direct knowing.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    see, it still is thinking
    but
    practice will bring the knowing/wisdom:)
    Merely language and quite deliberate.

Cheers, WK
  • edited November 2010
    Form is shape, while perception views this shape via a sense-organ.
    ex:
    form: the form of a tree, for example
    perception: the eye seeing the form of the tree.