Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mayan Calendar and humanity's path towards enlightenment

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
Humanity's path to enlightenment and other enfluences is the discussion of my Philosphy group this month. It all started with an article by Carl Johan Calleman.

In this article Carl Johan Calleman predicts a unification of the modern expressions of some of the most advanced ancient traditions of the West and the East; the Mayan and the Vedic. In this unification it seems that it is the West, the Maya and some other Native American peoples, that is providing the calendrical knowledge about the cosmic plan, while it is the East, the Vedic and Buddhist traditions that is carrying the time-less wisdom of the Self. The practical unification of these thought systems and traditions is then brought about by all those that are taking a path towards Enlightenment And according to the Mayan calendar, the time for this is now.

It is also is stated that the Mayan Calendar only extends to the year 2012. Humm Wonder what happens after that? Any Thoughts?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    The Mayan calendar is fascinating as are many aspects of the ancient world that we fail to understand.

Without wishing to support its thesis, you may find interest in a book called The Atlantis Blueprint by Rand Flem-Ath and Colin Wilson (Little, Brown & Co. 2000).

When I found that the Mayan calendar ended in 2012, and heard all sorts of apocalyptic explanations, I was reminded that I have a copy of the Book of Common Prayer which was published in 1859. It contains a calendar of the date of Easter which ends in 1899, plus the method (using Golden Numbers and Sunday Letters) to calculate it to 2199. It does not imply that either date is, somehow, terminal! You have to stop somewhere.
  • edited October 2005
    Osiyo Simon, I do not know when this world as we know it will end. Carl Calleman's article was just the one I pulled out of the hat so to speak. Now my job is to either disprove his opinon or prove it. Guess the group thought it was right up my alley Being that I am of Turtle Island and studing Buddism. My Cousin has to do Genetics and Religion. Should be an interesting meeting. Don't you think?
    edited October 2005
    Is the article available online? I have a book, somewhere, about the Mayan Calendar but I do not appear to have stored much information in memory (organic, that is LOL).
  • edited October 2005
    Yep, Here is a link to it,
    http://www.dharmaweb.net/article.php?sid=104
    I am having my local library get ahold of his book so I can better understand the man behind it.
    edited October 2005
    This looks interesting. Useful links:
    http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Mayan_Calendar/id/1720
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks Simon, Another Book to add to my list.. LOL.. My local Library all ready knows me and Groans when I come in. They know that I will have a list with some of the most unusual books on it. ( alot of times they can't even get them)
    But at least Amazon has this one listed.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Think about this: The world, as the Mayans knew it when they formulated their calendar, HAS already ended. In that case, their estimate was wildly optimistic. ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Obviously when 2012 arrives, everything will cease to exist!

Actually, the Mayans were brilliant astronomers, far ahead of their time in comparison with the bumbling Europeans. They discovered precession a thousand years before the Europeans, maybe longer. So what, you may ask, is precession? Picture the earth as a top. If you spin a top, eventually it will begin to wobble on its axis as well as spin. The earth also has a wobble to its axis, but it's a very slow one. In fact, it takes nearly 26,000 years (actually more like 25,800 years, but we won't quibble) to make one complete revolution! So what? You may well ask. Well, as the axis of the earth rotates through its wobble, it points the axis of the earth at different places in the heavens. Right now the northern axis points at Polaris, which makes Polaris the North Star, which is unique because it is the only star in the Northern Hemisphere that doesn't rotate from horizon to horizon in the night sky. In 13,000 CE, however, the North Star will be Vega, and Polaris will be a minor star 45 degrees away from North.

Another feature of precession is that the axis of the earth, through its wobble, passes through all 12 astrological signs during its 26,000 year journey. We're currently pointing toward Pisces, which means, in astrological-speak, that we're in the Age of Pisces.

So what's all this got to do with 2012? Well, it just so happens that the axis passes over into the next astrological house, Aquarius, on December 21, 2012. Now, this is also a very important date from a precessional point of view. On this date, as we slip into the Age of Aquarius, the constellations in the night sky also come to turning point. For the last 13,000 years these constellations, such as Orion, have been steadily climbing up from the horizon higher and higher into the night sky. On December 21, 2012, they reach their highest point in the sky and begin their long descent. In other words, we're coming to the end of the 26,000 year precessional cycle! So we're not only entering the Age of Aquarius, astrologically a very significant time, but we're also coming to the end of a 26,000 year precessional cycle. In other words, it's a very significant time.

The fact that the Mayans were able to figure all this out without the benefit of telescopes or computers or even slide rules is absolutely astounding. I mean, most people I know don't live anywhere near 26,000 years, so it must have taken an incredible amount of coordinated observation just to figure out that something like precession was taking place, much less the mechanics of it. So whether the world ends or not on that date, it is a remarkable time and a remarkable achievement by the Mayan astronomers.

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Palzang,

That is really interesting. I say this because somewhere, someone told me that "this" is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius! I never knew that!

They also said, "When the moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars. Harmony and understanding, sympathy and trust abounding. No more falsehoods or derisions. Golden living dreams of visions and mystic crystal revelation. And, of course, the mind's true liberation. Aquarius! Aquarius! This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius!"

I don't know what they meant exactly, but the music playing the background was really awesome.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Palzang, May I ask where you got your information? I would like to look into it a bit more.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, Buddhafoot, it's called "Hair"!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Moon Light,

I actually read it the first time in one of Graham Hancock's wonderful books, probably Fingerprints of the Gods. If you Google precession, you can also find a lot on it. Graham Hancock is the best source I've found though. He really goes into it in great detail, tying the numbers associated with it to many of mankind's oldest myths. I also like Hancock because he doesn't tie his research to any wild leaps of imagination, like UFOs or any of that crap. He just tells us what he's uncovered and leaves any conclusions to us.

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    Yeah, Buddhafoot, it's called "Hair"!

Oh. Right.

Uhhh.... forget that whole post of mine. My bad.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks Palzang. Boy do I have alot of reading, studing and decifering.
  • edited November 2005
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all your help. The meeting is this Thursday. And I think I'm just about ready to present my findings. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks Again.