Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

straight razor

CloudCloud Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter
Anyone ever shave with a straight razor AKA barber's razor? Tried for the first time tonight, got a few little cuts but once you get the knack of it, not so bad. They have "disposable" ones that have replaceable razor blades so ya don't have to sharpen them, etc.

Maybe some day I'll do it right, otherwise it's hardly worth it from the feel of my face. Shave isn't that much better than with one of those powered Gilette razors (Fusion Power or something). Ofc I know it's just a matter of technique...

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Never tried using it myself, but nothing feels better than a shave with a straight blade done by someone who knows what they're doing with it. Very few barbers know how to do it anymore :(
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Face is still a little bit cut up, but at least I'm not vain; my brother wouldn't leave his house if he cut his face up (or had a pimple, or anything).
  • edited October 2010
    I tried it once, and didn't get far. At the time, I presumed that the blade wasn't sharp enough because it kept feeling like I was trying to pull own face off --hair and all. Though, by the fact that it took the hair off my arm smoothly when first testing, it made me wonder:confused:. I eventually reverted back to the disposables I used just to make some headway as the straight razor was leaving behind as much as it was taking off.:mad:

Who knows, I may try again in the future just to see if a change in life perspective may alter my success rate.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Once you learn how to do it properly, it'l be the best shave of your life. I also recommend shelling out the money for a well-made one. and learn to strop and sharpen the blade.

it takes awhile but it is a very good investment.