Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there meaning in evil and suffering?

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
On one of the discussion forums I frequent (freeratio.org), someone started an interesting topic on the meaning of evil and suffering based on a panel... Continue reading

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thank you very much for that, Jason.
  • edited November 2010
    Very nicely written.
  • edited November 2010
    If it weren't for suffering, there would be no need to desire to escape from samsara. Samsara wouldn't be samsara at all, but a paradise. People who try to cover up suffering are trying to live in a 'garden of eden' free of all sin and suffering, but oftentimes this is just an illusion. There are positive aspects to suffering, namely the sympathy you can have for others which can be translated into compassion and loving-kindness. Think of the difference between a very wealth, very sheltered 'prince' compared to someone who is out on the streets with the 'lay people,' the sheltered prince has no sympathy for suffering, because he has never suffered, meanwhile the average person can relate to just about anyone because their suffering is genuine. Plus, they are more 'real' in the sense that they don't just placate to someone's suffering by acting nice, but rather can truly relate to another's misfortunes.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    filosophia wrote: »
    If it weren't for suffering, there would be no need to desire to escape from samsara. Samsara wouldn't be samsara at all, but a paradise.
    How very true. This topic brings to mind a quote from Pema Chödrön:

"There’s a richness to all of the smelly stuff that we so dislike, and so little desire."
  • edited November 2010
    filosophia wrote: »
    There are positive aspects to suffering, namely the sympathy you can have for others which can be translated into compassion and loving-kindness.

Yes I agree, suffering exists as a fact and as a reality that we all experience, and while it is desirable to decrease one's suffering, I believe it is also important to take lessons from one's suffering.

I think of it as "keeping with" the suffering, not turning away from it, but fully accepting it in the moment, allow yourself to grieve, allowing yourself to fully feel the pain and to understand it. People too often try to "kill" the pain by distracting their self, refuse to cry, refuse to confess their sorrow to others.

I don't think that is the correct way to handle suffering.