Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attacked by Jealous Gods

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
For several months now I've been experiencing so much joy in my life. Not the kind of joy that intoxicates and then is gone... but the kind that stays, detached and subdued.

The problem is that I am getting a lot of chatter in my head. They seem to be very negative beings who are constantly trying to "catch" me or take my happiness away.

Are these beings real?

When it's happening... (like right now) it feels very real. I don't even have to examine or descriminate the experience. It just happens in empty space. It happens.

Who are these bastard jelous gods who want to take away my happiness?

I rememeber seeing a painting of the six worlds. The jealous gods or the Azuras were constantly aiming arrows of flame at the Gods.

The cool thing is... that it's a little entertaining. As much as they try to mess with me they are always coming up short. They do provide a sense of joy in themselves because I am always defeating them with my "water of life".

I know this is something some people don't like to talk about... being it easier to believe that these experieces "don't happen" and are just a "manifestation of mind". But they do happen... and I don't really know how to hide my light anymore.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If you're hearing voices in your head, that you believe to be jealous gods trying to sabotage your happiness, you may want to seek the counseling of a mental health professional just in case.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Generally when people here voices in their head we call this Delusion. The Self cherishing mind will throw up all sorts of negativity and chatter in your mind, Many people experience this is day to day life by clinging at it and not being able to recognise it as delusion eventually by following these thoughts they beleive them to be inseperable from themselves and commit to whatever action they are told to do. It is non other then delusion. Recognise that it is non other then chatter of the self cherishing mind.

In times like this now is a very good time to practise detachment from these minds that arise, seeing that they are not your self but merely arising phenomena that you should give no power of thought to nor follow when commanded.
  • edited October 2010
    I wish that were so... until it happens to you in perfect clarity you wouldn't understand. Phantom menace over here man...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Schizophrenics and the like are convinced that it's real too. Having clear, distinct voices in your head says nothing of the truth, only that you're hearing voices. Hearing voices is bad, m'kay. If you'd rather take something of Buddhist cosmology and call them jealous gods, so you shall, but the whole thing about sabotaging your happiness... that could be part of a mental schism and you might in fact end up sabotaging your own happiness if you ignore the danger and don't seek the right kind of help... (like, now, seriously)
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah dood, my pineal gland is going like crazy. The trees look like they are on fire... it's pretty. Like violet tentacles that send feelers toward the sky. And people are giving a wide birth. Like they seen the devil himself! :lol: At the same time... I'm getting a lot of influx and the world around me aligining. My third eye is like completely open. It's so beautiful but very "stable". When I went to the store people's eyes looked dark... almost black. What's happening to me? The animals are all protecting me... and the wind sings my thoughts.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like you're tripping, but if you didn't take any hallucinogenic substances I'd be worried about it being something more severe; with such sudden onset of symptoms it may be something like bleeding of the brain.
  • edited October 2010
    It's very interesting. I feel connected. At peace. The only slight mental phenomena on my part is an interest in the phenomenal world. Seeing energy as it travels through things. And the phenomena of the "others" whoever the others are - jealous gods or whaever.

If this is vajra... an attempt to classify the experience as a schizophrenic eppisode would lead to more menal projections.

Anyway... I'm happy. It's beautiful. 601
  • edited October 2010
    For several months now I've been experiencing so much joy in my life. Not the kind of joy that intoxicates and then is gone... but the kind that stays, detached and subdued.

The problem is that I am getting a lot of chatter in my head. They seem to be very negative beings who are constantly trying to "catch" me or take my happiness away.

Are these beings real?

When it's happening... (like right now) it feels very real. I don't even have to examine or descriminate the experience. It just happens in empty space. It happens.

I rememeber seeing a painting of the six worlds. The jealous gods or the Azuras were constantly aiming arrows of flame at the Gods.

The cool thing is... that it's a little entertaining. As much as they try to mess with me they are always coming up short. They do provide a sense of joy in themselves because I am always defeating them with my "water of life".

I know this is something some people don't like to talk about... being it easier to believe that these experieces "don't happen" and are just a "manifestation of mind". But they do happen... and I don't really know how to hide my light anymore.

I don't think you have any mental problems or you are being attacked by anyone or any jealous astral beings for that matter. The problem is universal and that problem is the monkey mind. When you try to meditate the restless mind will begin it's assault trying its best to distract you from your practice. Your duty is to try your best to still the mind until the incessant chattering reduces till disappearing completely.
    Pay no attention to words, pay attention to the subject of meditation.

There are astral beings capable of disturbing you in meditation or even when you're living your life. I'm not sure what is bugging you, the monkey mind or the astral beings.
    But from your post I guess that you're suffering from the monkey mind just like everyone else is.

Good day to you :)
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    milkmoth wrote: »

Are these beings real?

I wrote up an answer but my computer rebooted so I took this as an omen and changed what I was going to say.

Instead I'll say this: "You should get a teacher"

What you are experiencing are things that can normally happen when we meditate, this is where a teacher is vital. They can help you.

Cheers, WK
  • edited November 2010
    Maybe you need a guru to guide you.

hmmm... This reminds me of gods like Mara trying to distract the Buddha.

If the problem is really related to spiritual beings bothering you, you might want to seek some help from experienced Vajrayana masters.
  • edited November 2010
    If you aren't taking recreational drugs and you are hearing voices and having hallucinations, then I think it would be good idea if perhaps you had a check-up with a doctor, Milkmoth, because there can also be medical reasons for experiences like yours.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Sounds wonderful. Who cares what they are, then?
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2010
    My 'Christian' friend thinks that hearing voices in your head is demons trying to possess you. And he told me that when I meditate that's when demons try to come and possess me and stuff.

I donno man... personally I think 90% of people have voices in their head. It's called THOUGHTS in my view.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited November 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    My 'Christian' friend thinks that hearing voices in your head is demons trying to possess you. And he told me that when I meditate that's when demons try to come and possess me and stuff.

I donno man... personally I think 90% of people have voices in their head. It's called THOUGHTS in my view.

True :)
    The problem these days is people when they hear Self-cherishing delusion arising in their mind have little or no ability to practise detachment from the arising of these particular thoughts and because peoples self grasping is so strong if they pay these minds attention they eventually become their slaves, The man whos delusion of self cherishing tells him that he would be happy chopping up someone who has offended him will engage in such actions in accordence with indentifying this arising as inseperable from himself.

Its a very sad situation these days when you hear of people committing attrocities because god told them to. In fact most of the time the so called voice of god they hear in their head is non other then the self cherishing mind exercising its power over them.

If everyone practised mindfullness and meditation upon mindfullness we would have a very effective weapon against arising delusions as being able to recognise them as what they are rather then being their unwilling slaves.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010

Are these beings real?

I am having the same problems.
    How are you going about it?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    True :)
    The problem these days is people when they hear Self-cherishing delusion arising in their mind have little or no ability to practise detachment from the arising of these particular thoughts and because peoples self grasping is so strong if they pay these minds attention they eventually become their slaves, The man whos delusion of self cherishing tells him that he would be happy chopping up someone who has offended him will engage in such actions in accordence with indentifying this arising as inseperable from himself.

Its a very sad situation these days when you hear of people committing attrocities because god told them to. In fact most of the time the so called voice of god they hear in their head is non other then the self cherishing mind exercising its power over them.

If everyone practised mindfullness and meditation upon mindfullness we would have a very effective weapon against arising delusions as being able to recognise them as what they are rather then being their unwilling slaves.

Beautiful point!
    Could it be that an ego is trying to control him?
    Is an ego an it? Or is an ego a he or her?
    Or is it thoughts?

Thanks,
    Leon