Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Family Reluctance

edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Have been interested in Buddhism for quite some time, and began studying about 5 months ago. While I have a fairly liberal husband, he's a bit apprehensive about my pursuit of it. We both grew up Catholic, and he comes from a very traditional family. For the sake of keeping peace in the family, I can't imagine ever giving up this faith - going to church/taking communion/baptizing child. It's not that I don't enjoy being in church. I feel that the teachings do have something to offer. Though I mainly use it as a place/time for meditation & reflection. That being said, I'm feeling very drawn to the Buddhist faith, and I'd like to explore further beyond reading & solitary study. Feel that I want my next step to be visiting a temple and beginning to work with a teacher. Any suggestions as to how I may trek this new path, without causing complete upheaval with my family? Am I still able to attend Catholic mass/raise my child in the tradition, while exploring & practicing Buddhism?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Welcome, Michaelene,

Can you study Buddhism and carry on going to church?
    I think that you can. Whether you can discuss this with your PP depends entirely on who he is! A good priest, with experience of prayer, can be very helpful. One of the ways that worked for me (although I don't think I was quite clear what I was doing) was to find Christian writers (and Scripture) who said similar things to the Buddhism I was learning. For example, the practices of meditation. There is a vast, ancient Christian literature on prayer, much of which addresses similar techniques to the Buddhist. I think that tantric methods, using highly structured visualisation and the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius contemplate each other very well.

Thomas Merton is always a good bet and acceptable to both Catholics and Buddhists, as is Antony de Mello (do you know his work?)

There may come a point where you no longer want to go to church or you may continue for the rest of your life. It is for you to discover which is best for you and for the benefit of all those around you. By approaching this new stage of your journey with compassion for yourself and for those around you, this can be a truly exciting and rewarding time.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Michaelene,

I don't think you should ever let religion get in the way of practicing Buddhism!

With love,

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Michaelene,

I'm not sure where you live, but one thought is that you could attend Mass at the normal time that you and your husband go, and then see if you could find a temple in your area that meets at another time. My sangha meets twice a week, which is lucky for me due to working nights. Sometimes I can't make it to Sunday mornings.

A good place to look for sanghas is www.buddhanet.net and find where you live. That is how I found the temple that I attend. What surprised me is that it was just in my neighborhood. Give it a shot, you may find something quite close to you.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    Michaelene,

I don't think you should ever let religion get in the way of practicing Buddhism!

With love,

Palzang

Good point, Palzang.

As the drinking priest in the movie "Trading Places" said:

Religion is a fine thing.... taken in moderation...

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Good people will do good things. Evil people will do evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. -Steven Weinberg

I saw that and thought, 'Good Point'....:crazy:
  • edited October 2005
    Much thanks on all of the advice given. Have always been a big believer in the saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Am hoping that my research into local sanghas turns up something.

Any additional thoughts on the topic would be much appreciated!