Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Harry Potter Movies

edited November 2010 in Arts & Writings
It's screen in theaters this month!

Harry Potter is a Buddhist?
Maybe.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I don't know about Buddhist, but he's definitely a christian. . .
  • edited November 2010
    What? He's a christian?
    But I thought many Christians hate Harry Potter?
  • edited November 2010
    J.K. Rowling is a huge fan of the Narnia series, which is unarguably christian themed, and also if you read all the books you will see where the christian themes come into play, especially towards theend. I won't say anymore because that would spoil it.
  • edited November 2010
    It's true that some individual Christians and congregations find fault with the Potter series, in much the same way that some individual Christians find fault with comic books, heavy metal, etc, etc. But they don't speak for all Christians, and several archbishops and other high-ranking Christians have endorsed the books/movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_debates_over_Harry_Potter

Regarding Harry's beliefs, the books have never really focused on them. Though for what it's worth, J.K. Rowling has said that Hogwarts is a multi-faith school.
  • edited November 2010
    I heard the tooth fairy is Buddhist as well. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the tooth fairy and Harry Potter, would join together with the Loch-ness monster, to form a Buddhist society for non existent creatures?
    Well - I'm of to my cushion - cya
  • edited November 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    It's screen in theaters this month!

Harry Potter is a Buddhist?
    Maybe.

Mantra, do you mean that you think as Harry's written (or portrayed in the movies), he sounds Buddhist? Just for clarification. :)
  • edited November 2010
    sigh.... those christians and all those opinions they have:(
  • edited November 2010
    I think in real life Harry will embrace Buddhism. hehe.......
    Because he's intellectual enough to choose a religion matching his great wisdom.
  • edited November 2010
    I think that the movies do a good job of embracing the core of all of the worlds traditions.
  • edited November 2010
    He has an attachment to his wand, how can he practice Buddhism? hehehe
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Slightly OT: I never got into Harry Potter, but I recently came across this fanfic, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (click on the pdf link on that page.) Wow, it's so good. Alternative reality in which Harry is a hyper-rational super-genius unleashing the Enlightenment on Magical Britain.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Harry Potter is clearly a Zoroastrian, in the tradition of the Nativity magi.
  • edited November 2010
    The adventure begins!!!!

will Harry get killed by Lord Voldermoth?

Let's see.....
  • edited November 2010
    Only if he gets support from Madame Butterfly.
  • edited November 2010
    A Lord Voldemoth sounds cute, actually...
    edited November 2010
    Finished the last installment of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality last night. So much fun!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Why all you good people are putting all these Harry Potter posts under the The Greatest Evil banner is beyond me!

He might be into dark magic, but he's not evil, you goofs!
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Why all you good people are putting all these Harry Potter posts under the The Greatest Evil banner is beyond me!

Erm..it's not. It's under Harry Potter Movies, under Arts & Writings.
  • edited November 2010
    :rolleyes:I still want to catch a Lord Voldemoth.
    edited November 2010
    I find it extraordinary that so many people, outwith the British school system, are so taken with a class-ridden, traditional school story in the mode of Billy Bunter or Jennings' Little HGut.
    edited November 2010
    Simon, I haven't read any of the official Harry Potter books, but in The Methods of Rationality he's quite anti-authoritarian, and that includes the school system.
  • edited November 2010
    He was that way in the books too.
    edited November 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Simon, I haven't read any of the official Harry Potter books, but in The Methods of Rationality he's quite anti-authoritarian, and that includes the school system.

The anti-authoritarian attitude is an integral part of the school story, alongside the nice, supportive vs nasty, sarcastic teachers and the gardener/groundsman/caretaker who may be one or the other - both characters in Potter. The adventures of the 'kids' could not take place within school rules so the hero must break them - but all in a good cause. The breaches of school rules by the bullies (also stock characters with no redeeming features) are deemed not OK.
  • edited November 2010
    Harry might most likely take refuge in Buddhism I think.
    He, along with homosexual people, have no place in Christianity and Islam.
    He will be discriminated by fundies, just like muggles are harmed by death eaters.
    He will be a great Buddhist.
    edited November 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    Harry might most likely take refuge in Buddhism I think.
    He, along with homosexual people, have no place in Christianity and Islam.
    He will be discriminated by fundies, just like muggles are harmed by death eaters.
    He will be a great Buddhist.

Perhaps, once he has let go of his post-manichaean dualism and his anger.
  • edited November 2010
    Nagini sounds Buddhist to me.
  • edited November 2010
    Nagini is a snake.
  • edited November 2010
    Nagini is a snake.

It's a sanscrit name from Buddhist mythology.

• Deathly Hallow, part 2
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    so..... what?

Does an inane discussion that is already nearly 8 months old warrant being revived?

*Yawn*.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I'll keep in mind that Harry Potter is Buddhist as I watch him smite Lord Valdemort and his allies in the new film.
  • Voldemort is smote by his own hatred. It is kind of Buddhist.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    In that case, all American goodie/baddie movies are Buddhist based, because the bad guy always seems to get what's coming to him.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree. My unspoken point was that some people go too far seeing everything through Buddhist eyes.