Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Boy, oh boy...

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited November 2010 in General Banter
Before I became a Buddhist it was really hard for me around election time every two years. Now, as a practicing Buddhist, it's *really* hard for me around election time every two years.

I know, I know... I tell myself the same things you are all going to say, and I really try. I really, really do. But boy it's hard.

Om mani padme um...

:)

Comments

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I dashed my television, cellphone, and radio upon the rocks. And I feel so much more free.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Before I became a Buddhist it was really hard for me around election time every two years. Now, as a practicing Buddhist, it's *really* hard for me around election time every two years.

I know, I know... I tell myself the same things you are all going to say, and I really try. I really, really do. But boy it's hard.

Om mani padme um...

:)

I feel the exact same way (assuming you mean politics). Is it more skillful to vote for a "lesser evil" or abstain from voting?
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Haven't watched TV since 2001, cell phone rings about once every five or six days (maybe). I do occasionally listen to the radio in very small increments. No, the problem is online. "All Democrats are... (insert pejorative of your choice)" or "All Republicans are...". It's no wonder we all hate each other in this country.

Edit: I'm asking this because I truly don't understand (not being flippant). How can we simply tune out politics? I mean, if we pretend to care about the welfare of others, and people in our country are actively trying to change things so that (by their own admission) the government will not be able to help the poor and dispossessed, how can we simply tune out and not care? Didn't HHDL do as much as he could to prevent the Chinese from pillaging his country before he finally gave up and left? At what point as Buddhists do we fight and at what point do we give up? Certainly the situation in the US is in no way comparable to the invasion of Tibet by the Chinese, so it seems to me it's incumbent upon me as a Buddhist to try to do something about what I perceive as a mighty wrong that's about to be perpetrated on those less fortunate than me.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Politics... very binding. I never know who to choose, what with all the ads full of opinions gushing over one and badmouthing the other constantly inundating all forms of mass media. No way to know who to pick, and whether they're just saying what people want to hear or actually will do the job; for that matter, whether policies might backlash and create unwholesome conditions for a lot of people. The majority of voters, I take it, are not well-informed on the actual facts and fall to who says what they want to hear and they "like" better. I don't want to be one of those, but neither do I have the energy to try and create real dossiers on the candidates for every little election or position. Too much of a mess.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm thankful that buddhism/meditation has truly calmed me. I still have quite strong political beliefs, and I used to get very angry, but now I simply don't. People all have different opinions. You can't change them. There's only so much you can do even if you try. Sure, have your opinions, but to get stressed over them is silly and pointless.

Of course this is easier said then done, but it should certainly be a goal. Try metta meditation, showing metta towards those political candidates/supporters of politics you disagree with. Even if they're wrong, they're just deluded like most everyone else. Perhaps they're more deluded in this area than you, but you should pity their delusions rather than get angry. This is how i've been feeling lately. Anyone who acts in a way that I think is wrong is deluded. It's like what jesus said, "they know not what they do." How can I be angry at someone who doesn't even understand the situation?
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Mountains, what do you mean by 'fight'? What are you doing that's draining so much energy? How much of a difference does it make? Would it still have the same effect if there was no frustration involved?

I've stopped getting frustrated about politics since the last election we had... I think that goes for most Australians as well. It was a clear case of lose-lose, so it seems like everyone was disillusioned to the fact that things won't change either way.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    For myself, I see no problem. I'm a nurse and love people. Actually, the thing I hate most about my job is having to endure the blaring television sets in people's rooms. The political ads are really very difficult for me —until they're over and I can resume my life of service. It's hard for me to tune out my ears at work, they're working hard to listen for information about patient well-being, comfort, and safety.

However, I know "not to let the evil into my soul." As I wrote elsewhere tonight, politics is a bloodsport and there will be attacks, lies, exaggerations, and (unfortunately) corrupt news organizations making things even more confused.

Indeed, I must say that I enjoy politics, to a degree, but usually the old stuff (history) already in the books. But I'm that way about everything. I'm not so much interested in the living, cuz that's gossip, but if it's about something 25 yrs ago or more, that's interesting to me. As part of this though, I like to be part of the political process and do my utmost to help "my brand" or "my team" win. Somehow, without getting emotionally involved, I just get into reasoning with people. It's amazing how much people are swayed by slogans and very hard to get them to see that they're being hoodwinked.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Until reading the posts here I was not aware that the USA was in the grip of a political election again ... please excuse my ignorance of the political process there, found this figure interesting - the highest recent midterm turnout was 48% in 1962 and 1966. Obviously all the political advertising on television and the like doesn't result in a greater turnout at the polls ?
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm from the UK and before I became a Buddhist I used to vote Labour. I did not agree with a lot of their policies but they seemed a lot fairer to everyone in society than conservatives, who seem to favour the rich and forget about the poor. Anyway after becoming a Buddhist I decided to vote Green party, simply because they have the same kind of ethics about nature and the world that I do.
    It took a long time to decide to vote green and I needed to answer questions such as, Could they win an election ? not in this lifetime, Could they run the country ? The other parties seem to do a bad job at it and they have been doing it for years. Would the UK be a better place to live ? Well I think Yes, Am I wasting my vote ? Again a lot of people will think yes, but its my vote and I decided to vote for who I believe in, not who I think will win the election.

Anyway I think I came to the right conclusion:)

Metta to all sentient beings
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    Until reading the posts here I was not aware that the USA was in the grip of a political election again ... please excuse my ignorance of the political process there, found this figure interesting - the highest recent midterm turnout was 48% in 1962 and 1966. Obviously all the political advertising on television and the like doesn't result in a greater turnout at the polls ?

There are people whose full time occupation is trying to answer that exact question. "Apathy" should be the national motto of the United States. I'm in favor of compulsory voting, but that's just me :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well I can't get out of it. I volunteer in politics and I love debates.

I am happy that I voted. I don't want the Tea Party running the United States.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Mountains, what good would compulsory voting do? We already pool enough ignorance.

What I'd like to see happen is an inculcation of integrity in elections. They should not be run by slogans and hooliganisms. The day when the media come together and decree swiftboating both disgraceful and treasonous at heart, the world will be a better place. But, unfortunately, the press does not see fit to publish the truth —it is status and the creature comforts that money brings that they are loyal to. Of course, this is not true of everyone in the press, just those on the airwaves, with exceptions such as Jon Stewart and his very talented type.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Mountains, what good would compulsory voting do? We already pool enough ignorance.

Better representation.

In the United States, Only about 35-46% of the population votes. Why should the minority of the population rule?
  • edited November 2010
    I agree Nirvana, what good would compulsory voting do, Mountains?

I,for one, haven't trusted any politician to tell the truth in the entire course of my life, and thus have not voted in any public election other than perhaps high school homecoming queen or some such other thing.:eek:

Yes, you read right.:crazy:

So unless you think my lack of voting for a particular politician or political party is a protest "vote"; disgruntled americans like me who resent the idea of voting for a lesser of two evils at all would find your idea of "forced" voting to be a throwback to the days of pre-civil war slavery.

Nirvana, the notion of the U.S. press corp self-censoring politicians is laughable at best. While it is arguable that the press is sometimes lax in it's enforcement of unbiased news reporting, money greased hands or no, the press is not likely to change how it represents politicians and their shenanigans. They would likely say that they are being unbiased by merely repeating claims rather than censoring them for us the voting(or non-voting as the case may be) public as bizarre as that sounds.

Incidentally though, Nirvana, I agree with you. Political balderdash should be considered taboo such that politicians wouldn't dare it, but this is not the ideal world where every candidate has a heart of gold. This is samsara.
  • edited November 2010
    I think if you don't like any of the candidates it's not only your right, but your duty not to vote. After all, not voting is kind of like a vote in itself. It says "Hey United States Government! We're sick and tired of politics and we don't think you guys are doing jack squat for any of us!" If nobody voted, our whole political system would be in question and perhaps that would force them to change things!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It is important not to tune out the rest of the world. It is necessary to keep aware of what is going on in the world. If you're just tuning out in order to remain blissful, then you're living in an ivory tower and not practicing Buddhism, imho. We are a part of everything, whether we like it or not.

Palzang
  • edited November 2010
    To whom were you speaking Palzang?:scratch:

If it was to me, let me assure you I am not "living in an ivory tower" by any stretch of the words. I keep a very sharp eye on politics.:skeptical I watch the news --even sometimes "the news" others might label as biased because there is often a kernel of truth to be found in matters that might seem hopelessly skewed by the reporter.

No, when I say I distrust all politicians, it is because I find that their own words often have a habit of betraying them. I listen mindfully, and I see no point in permitting with an ignorant vote the actions which will cause harm to others.:coffee: Frequently, that leaves no one left to vote for.

If however,Palzang, you were not speaking of me, then let me say "Be blessed for reminding us of the dharma." :bigclap::thumbsup: