Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Violence vs Non-Violence

edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
Some of the things I've been thinking about recently include the area of non violence vs violence.

One of the five precepts of buddhism says that you should refrain from killing.

I think that this is a great thing except for one small problem:

Not everyone follows this precept.

Does Buddhism's precept of not killing extend to A. Self-defense and B. Protecting someone else's life? If so, how far do we go with it?

Please discuss.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Forgive me, young person, but I can't refrain from stating that I am laughing at your username in the context of not killing anything.

My great uncle Henry committed suicide by drinking a bottle of that bug poison.
    He was rich, too, but his wife was a _______ (rhymes) and in those days people just didn't divorce.

This is a precept that doesn't even occur to me until after I've killed the occasional cockroach at work in the nursing home, where I'd be remiss not to do so.

Cal me bad. I know.
  • edited November 2010
    I had to google Black Flag Bug Spray to see what you were talking about.

I took my username from the band Black Flag famous for such hits as "Six Pack" and "Drinking and Driving"
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I immediately thought of the black flag hoisted to signal that a ship was under quarantine and to stay away from it.

Back to the question at hand, I believe it should extend as far as it has to before killing another. In self defense, I would fight back...I'd try to put the other person into self preservation where they're more worried about their own survival than the pain they're hoping to inflict on me.
    edited November 2010
    So sorry about introducing the Black Flag. I wasn't contemplating the red herring, though.

I think that one has to take these precepts with a bit of salt, especially these days. If it is wrong to take the life of an insect, then it must be at least trebly wrong to do even a very trifling harm to anything as complex and intricate as a human being. Please show me where I err in saying that Buddha never taught the equality of each creature. I think we all know that an elephant is a greater being than an ant, whether in this incarnation or another.

Sometimes we do intend to do harm to insects. Whether it is to maintain health or the dignity of others, we need not let these thoughts distract us from the more important ones.

For myself, when I see others arguing over the ethics of killing insects, I just roll my eyes. I really do believe the Teaching to be more of a pointer than an absolute. As I've said elsewhere here many times before, just because some things are laid out as rules in the Dharma, that does not mean that they all have equal weight.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2010
    nirvana- I agree with you that that some rules must be given more strict attention than others. But then I have to look at it that way, I kill for a living. I don't understand what you mean when you say that an elephant is a greater being than an ant, unless you are simply talking about size. Last spring I had some ants using my place as a jumping off point for what ever their plans were. In the past I would have killed them all as a solution. This time I looked at the internet and learned that they were probably just passing through, so I decided to wait them out and just release them outside. As I was catching them I noticed that they were frightened of being caught and ran around in an effort to get away. It made me feel a kind of connection with them. Fish are like that too, they don't want to be caught and killed. But in that case I have to turn my back on them because I need their bodies to support myself and my dependents. What I am getting at is that Buddhism teaches that all beings are in the same predicament in samsara, don't want to suffer and seek happiness, and are equal in that respect. Although I am not a scientist, I think that many insects are highly evolved complex and intricate beings. We need to kill certain creatures for sure like cockroaches where you work and bedbugs and such. I'm not convinced that one being is greater than another. Am I wrong?-P
    edited November 2010
    robot wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that one being is greater than another.

Nor am I, as we cannot know the thing-in-itself, as Kant long ago pointed out. We know things only insofar as they may relate to us.

So, from the human perspective, an insect is usually just a small pest and an elephant a large animal not lightly to be regarded —indeed, arguably noble.

What I'm trying to say in this thread is that human conscience and judgment are the final arbiters of the rules. The rules were made for our guidance, and it is just not the case that we were made to keep our noses to the grindstone following silly, arbitrary rules.
  • edited November 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »
    Some of the things I've been thinking about recently include the area of non violence vs violence.

Does Buddhism's precept of not killing extend to A. Self-defense and B. Protecting someone else's life? If so, how far do we go with it?

Please discuss.

First things first: precepts are not commandments. They are guidelines for an ethical and conducive life for the eradication of suffering. They can be taken wholesale, or they can be followed according to various degrees.

In accordance to the first precept, the way I interpret it is that you refrain from killing as far as you can. If it threatens your life and you need to kill in order to save your own, you do it. If it is the only way to save another person's life, and it's for the greater good, you do it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »

Please discuss.
    I think it best to consider the course of action, when you're actually involved in it.
    Until then, all discussion is pure hypothesis.
    "What if"s will bring much opinion, but until we're faced with a hungry lioness, or a marauding intruder wielding a knife, there's little point wondering.
    Just adhere as well as you are able, to the 5 precepts.
    Do your best as only you can conscientiously decide to do.
    Face what faces you.
    leave the rest to when it actually happens.

(Be sure to let us know what happens though - always assuming you survive, or course......;) )
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Black Flag,

(Btw, a black flag was flown by the Romans to mean that they would take no prisoners but would slaughter. 40,000 dies when the black flag was flown by Caesar at Alesia)

"Mind goes before all actions"

If you are serious about cultivating a mind of peace, you need to examine how you present to the world around you. Do you ever carry an offensive weapon? Do you support, either inwardly or outwardly, a 'right' to be armed? If so, you are preparing yourself for violence, not for peace.

Nobody has ever suggested that your peaceful mind will bring you ease and comfort. Indeed, it is likely to increase risk in certain situations. Look, for example, at Attenborough's wonderful film Gandhi: watch the protesters being beaten down as they queue at the factory gates, demonstrating peacefully. Their peace-minds did not stop the brutality, or, at least, not at first, not before many were hurt and killed.

You have a choice and only you can make it.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I like Federica's reply, each moment has its own unique set of causes and conditions that need to be taken into consideration. Buddhism encourages us to take each decision on its own merit rather than resorting to preconceived formulas.

Having said that, I am a martial artist and believe that, when I am skilled enough, the need to cause harm to others is significantly reduced. I catch insects from inside the house and place them outside where I think they will have some chance of survival. Furthermore I don't eat meat. Either way I still find situations that I can't avoid where other animals are killed. Strictly speaking, to me violence would be defined by the state of mind involved when an action is performed, if the intention is compassionate and completely mindful and aware, then irrespective of the action, it is non-violent. Yet such a mental state can be hard to achieve, so its best to shy on the side of caution. We have a habit of rationalising our actions, so that we may have a completely logical reason why we should do something, this is where the precepts shine through, as they cut through our ability to rationalise our negative actions.

Lastly, if we do indulge in negative behaviour it is important to "regret" our actions and not feel "guilt" about them. According to Buddhist Psychology "regret" is a positive action and "guilt" is a negative action, one encourages us to do the right thing next time leading to future positive actions, the other results in talking ourselves down and leads to further negative actions.

Cheers, WK
    edited November 2010
    Outstanding post, Simon Pilgrim! Especially nice to hear of the origin of the Black Flag.

Good to see you back, Fede!
  • edited November 2010
    Let's put it this way: there are far too many bad guys in the world to kill them all. And if you tried, you would just end up becoming a monster by killing an innocent person along the way. As for self-defense, it depends on the situation, but most instances occur when people are being confrontational and reckless to begin with. How about if someone invades your home? Well a Buddha is not a home-dweller, how about the rest of us? We can try to defend ourselves, but run the risk of dying anyways, which is okay since that is our goal; Not death, so much as liberation from the body. Which is why we should focus on liberating our spirit now in case we reach an early demise.
    edited November 2010
    Huh?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Outstanding post, Simon Pilgrim! Especially nice to hear of the origin of the Black Flag.

Good to see you back, Fede!

Thank you, nice to be back. :)
    filosophia wrote: »
    Let's put it this way: there are far too many bad guys in the world to kill them all. And if you tried, you would just end up becoming a monster by killing an innocent person along the way. As for self-defense, it depends on the situation, but most instances occur when people are being confrontational and reckless to begin with. How about if someone invades your home? Well a Buddha is not a home-dweller, how about the rest of us? We can try to defend ourselves, but run the risk of dying anyways, which is okay since that is our goal; Not death, so much as liberation from the body. Which is why we should focus on liberating our spirit now in case we reach an early demise.

What 'spirit'....? :scratch:
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Huh?

Quite......:crazy:
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well, from an objective point of view, if you're in a situation where it's harm or be harmed, kill or be killed then as much bad would happen if you act accordingly or do not act..
    One person harmed is one person harmed (or animal).. So there's really no reason not to pacify a violent aggressor - the person set out to do harm, and harm will come..
    I guess better him than you, in that case.. It's always better (and safer) to run though :)

@Whoknows

About the martial arts; I don't know which style you practice but I don't think you should fool yourself into thinking that your skills will make you cause less harm - it will cause you not to be harmed :)
    I'm former Jiu-jitsu master myself so take my word for it, you'll become deadly ;)
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Potentially the skill level could be seen as deadly, the motivations and intent of the individual practitioner need to known also - a previous partner of mine was a black belt in tae kwondo and to watch him spa showed he had the skill to also be deadly. I saw the results of him being provoked over a long period of time in a work situation and his skill was not utilised to retaliate with any violence and in another situation where self defence and protection of others was his aim his expert and timely display of skill lead to retreat by the attacker - yes I do tend to still put him on a pedestool, don't I ? - lol.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The topic always reminds me of the best line in a particular movie:

"First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner." (Pirates of the Caribbean)

Shall I paraphrase to fit the thread?

"First, Buddha never said lay people had to let your house and kitchen be overrun by roaches and mice or eliminate meat from your diet. Secondly, only Buddhist monks normally take the vow to not kill anything under any circumstance, so if you're not a monk, the strict prohibition doesn't apply to you. And thirdly, the precepts are more guidelines than actual rules. Welcome to Buddhism, my friend!"
  • edited November 2010
    What can we say about pets? They are warm, loving, always there wanting our affection; simply put to love and be loved. For many animals small animals especially, it is a simple life they are able to lead in homes where they are welcomed and treated as one of the family. In a perfect world this would be the scenario that all pets would have going for each and every one of them. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world and the reality is there are many pets that are beaten, abused, and treated downright inhumanely by owners who choose to take their issues out on an innocent animal who can not fight back. For these unfortunate lost pets they are truly more human than the humans whose care they live under.
    We see this kind of behaviour wherever we turn it's sad to say; walking down the street the echoing sounds of a person screaming at their pet that quickly turns to violence and the painful cries of the innocent animal haunt our thoughts as we are forced to let it be. There are the advertisements from the SPCA or organizations similar in nature that show beaten, bruised, and scarred lost pets who have been rescued from the cruel habitat they were raised in; their eyes being in such broken pain that are begging for a home that will be humane for them, a home where they can be loved. It breaks our hearts seeing this kind of pain in these innocent animals knowing that the cause is because of a human, a human who by all regards is fully capable of exerting dominance over his/her pet with no regard for the deep pain he/she is actually causing. What's worse is many of these cruel owners disregard that they are even doing anything wrong when in actuality beating down a pet morally and what should be legally, is as wrong as domestic violence towards a spouse or a child.