Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I have a question...

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I have a question which has been on my mind for a while...

In the cycle of life & death, where do all the new 'spirits' or souls' come from?
When you die your 'mind or 'spirit' is reborn into a developing pheatus or baby but where do all the new 'minds' come from, say... for a flourishing species like us humans???

Another question arose whilst writting the first question.
What would the proper term for our 'minds' not our bodies be???

:ukflag:

Comments

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Nothing is reborn except the karma, the bag of causes.

An interesting site i stumbled upon today... http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma/heaven.html
    To explain rebirth, I like the analogy of going to an airport with a suitcase. I put the suitcase on a conveyor belt so it can be loaded into the luggage compartment of the airplane. But, I am not getting on the plane, just the suitcase. The suitcase contains my karmic energy. When the karmic energy gets to its new destination, my next lifetime picks up the suitcase. But, I didn't get on the plane, because my ticket had expired... It's not really me that picks up the suitcase... It's because of me the suitcase is picked up.

The suitcase may be almost empty because of a past life of unskillful activity. It may have only one set of clothes and no shoes... But, I'm not predestined to be poor and homeless. Through acts of kindness and generosity, I can start filling the suitcase. I can turn rags into riches through good thoughts, good speech, and good actions. I'm in charge, and my life is what I make it.

The karma is not pernament, it changes. Thus there is nothing but causes moving from place to place, and there is actually no such thing called death to me.

I believe death to be nothing but an illusion... The very notion of death reminds us of leaving everything, when we are only moving on, just as you quit your job and emigrate off elsewhere for better prospects.

The Tibetans call the thing you speak of as an intermediate state bardo. I don't know much from here, but I guess there are always others here to elaborate further. :rockon:

"Turn the other cheek."
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Dave,

No independent "Self", "soul", or "spirit" is reborn anywhere. We are but a collection of five aggregates that have arisen due to the available conditions for such a thing as a 'person' to exist. In Pali, this mind and body combination that we call a 'person' is sometimes refered to as "nama-rupa".

Our body is "rupa", rupa means: Body; physical phenomenon; sense datum. The basic meaning of this word is "appearance" or "form." It is used, however, in a number of different contexts, taking on different shades of meaning in each. In lists of the objects of the senses, it is given as the object of the sense of sight. As one of the khandha, it refers to physical phenomena or sensations (visible appearance or form being the defining characteristics of what is physical). This is also the meaning it carries when opposed to nama, or mental phenomena.

Our mind is "nama", nama means: Mental phenomena. This term refers to the mental components of the five khandhas, and includes: vedana (feeling), sañña (perception), sankhara (mental fashionings), and viññana (consciousness).

- Definitions taken from A Glossary of Pali and Buddhist Terms

When the body decays, falls apart, and 'dies' it is said that the consciousness and kamma from that life continues as a cause for a new consciousness to arise in a new life. This consciousness does not 'move' to a new body to stay there however, it 'conditions' a new consciouness to arise through the motion of bhava (becoming). They may sound similar, but there is a major difference between the two explanations (i.e. cause and effect instead of transmigration). Bhava is a very powerful force. It transcends the merely tangible world of our senses.

As for where all the 'extra' people come from, remember that the Buddha taught that a person could be 'reborn' into any of the Thirty-one Planes of Existence. What we can see and experience as our 'world', the human and animal realm, it is but a fraction of the possible places for 'rebirth'.

I hope that you find this explanation helpful.

:)

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Ajani,

Neat. Thanks.
    edited October 2005
    Always Welcome! :winkc:
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I am reading "Graceful Exits - How Great Beings Die", a collection of accounts of the deaths of some famous and not-so-famous Hindus and Buddhists.

http://www.shambhala.com/html/catalog/items/isbn/1-59030-270-2.cfm
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    No independent "Self", "soul", or "spirit" is reborn anywhere. We are but a collection of five aggregates that have arisen due to the available conditions for such a thing as a 'person' to exist.

Thanks Jason! I am always looking for more info on the five aggregates. Seems to be a significant topic - how the mind functions. Sometime I get glimpses into the "process", and I suspect that further knowledge of this topic could yield great results.

To quote from "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula (a personal fav and recommended reading):

"According to the Buddha, the idea of a self is a imaginary, false belief which produces harmful thoughts of "me" and "mine", selfish desire, craving, attachment, hatred, ill-will, conceit, pride, egoism, and other defilements, imprutities and problems. It is the source of all the troubles in the world from personal conflicts to wars between nations. In short to this false view can be traced all the evil in the world." (emphasis added)

If you subscribe to this view, then the question of rebirth is fruitless, since it reinforces the concept of self.

This was the hardest idea for me to grasp (and others I'm sure), but I think goes the center of Buddhism. In fact, Buddhism is unique in this teaching.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Magwang,

It was also one of the hardest for me as well.

If you are looking for more information on the five aggregates, here is a list of available Suttas dealing with that topic:

Khandha Vagga (samyuttas XXII-XXXIV)

Bhikkhu Sutta: SN XXII.36

Khandha Sutta: SN XXII.48

Samanupassana Sutta: SN XXII.47

Nakulapita Sutta: SN XXII.1

Phena Sutta: SN XXII.95

Upakkilesa Samyutta: SN XXVII

:)

Jason
    edited October 2005
    Magwang,

In short to this false view can be traced all the evil in the world

You may find it interesting that it is possible to read the story of the "Fall" in the book of Genesis as human beings becoming "self-aware". In classic, post-Augustine, Christian theology, it is this "Fall" which is responsible for all that is wrong in the world.
    edited October 2005
    Why didn't God want us to be self-aware in the first place anyway? And why'd he plant the Tree in Eden in the first place if he knew Eve'd eat from it, since he's all-knowing?
    edited November 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Why didn't God want us to be self-aware in the first place anyway? And why'd he plant the Tree in Eden in the first place if he knew Eve'd eat from it, since he's all-knowing?

It's a myth, Ajani, not history.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    An interesting side note is that the god portrayed in at least the Old Testament is more of a jealous god (Asura) rather than a full-fledged god according to the classification system used in the description of the six realms used in Buddhism. In fact, it even says so in the Bible: "The Lord thy God is a jealous God!" So it's no surprise that he would play games with the creatures he created!

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    As I'm sure you know, Palzang, there was quite a heated (and long) discussion in the early days of Christianity, about the identification of the Father with Yhwh. Some of the Christian Gnostics viewed the Mosaic Yhwh as a demiurge and a disobedient one at that!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I think they were right! :smilec:
    edited November 2005
    Absolutely, he sounds too human at times.
    edited November 2005
    I was lucky enough to have read the Gnostic texts and then to have met feminist theologians. The result has been a new set of 'readings' of the Eden myth which I have found useful in meditation.
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks a lot for your help guyz :)
    Your info was very useful
  • edited November 2005
    As I'm sure you know, Palzang, there was quite a heated (and long) discussion in the early days of Christianity, about the identification of the Father with Yhwh. Some of the Christian Gnostics viewed the Mosaic Yhwh as a demiurge and a disobedient one at that!

Did you know that 'mosaic' isnt one word, but lots of little words joined together.