Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Compassion Challenge!

edited November 2010 in General Banter
(I couldn't find anywhere else to post this, so sorry in advance if it's in the wrong place)

I had an idea. I thought and think (lol) that we should give ourselves and/or each other compassion "challenges", because, I sometimes forget to be compassionate unfortunately and I think being mindful of a set challenge for the day may help those who have trouble like me, practicing, and would help I guess everyone in transforming our minds. Also, it could contribute towards universal peace and happiness, so who's up for it?

So each one of us sets each other a compassion "challenge" eg. Give something meaninful to five people today, and we can report back and talk about how it went. We can give support to each other and guidance if we're having trouble.

I think we should give it a try.
How about starting today or tommorrow (depending when you're reading this) try the example compassion challenge?

Today, give something meaningful, whether a smile, a compliment, money, a prayer, etc. to five different people.

(For later challenges, we should try be more creative and imaginative with them, make them unique, if possible)

Good Luck! I'm gonna try this too!
Tu amigo,
Snowpaw

Comments

• nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Snowpaw wrote: »
    (I couldn't find anywhere else to post this, so sorry in advance if it's in the wrong place)

I had an idea. I thought and think (lol) that we should give ourselves and/or each other compassion "challenges", because, I sometimes forget to be compassionate unfortunately and I think being mindful of a set challenge for the day may help those who have trouble like me, practicing, and would help I guess everyone in transforming our minds. Also, it could contribute towards universal peace and happiness, so who's up for it?

So each one of us sets each other a compassion "challenge" eg. Give something meaninful to five people today, and we can report back and talk about how it went. We can give support to each other and guidance if we're having trouble.

I think we should give it a try.
    How about starting today or tommorrow (depending when you're reading this) try the example compassion challenge?

Today, give something meaningful, whether a smile, a compliment, money, a prayer, etc. to five different people.

(For later challenges, we should try be more creative and imaginative with them, make them unique, if possible)

Good Luck! I'm gonna try this too!
    Tu amigo,
    Snowpaw
    I have just returned from giving a blessing for a marriage to a lovely Burmese couple.
    Does that count?
    edited November 2010
    The Burmese couple
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I just helped, supported and accompanied my mother and brothers on my father's final journey and dying. I think that counts too.

To be honest (and here. I'm going to sound as if I'm giving my Ego an airing) I do these kinds of things every day.
    People are constantly telling me how often I smile, how happy I am, how helpful, fun to be with....
    The challenge is to actively seek the company of those whose presence we find disruptive, negative and contrary to what we practice.

And practice.
  • edited November 2010
    federica wrote: »
    To be honest (and here. I'm going to sound as if I'm giving my Ego an airing) I do these kinds of things every day.
    People are constantly telling me how often I smile, how happy I am, how helpful, fun to be with....

The challenge is to actively seek the company of those whose presence we find disruptive, negative and contrary to what we practice.

And practice.

Yes, I agree Federica. I've also found that the majority of Buddhists I've met offline at different centres have been cheerful and friendly.

• edited November 2010
    I definitely think that giving a marriage counts! And so does helping family!

Someone create a challenge tommorrow! Please!
    edited November 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I just helped, supported and accompanied my mother and brothers on my father's final journey and dying. I think that counts too.

Yeah that definately counts.Thats one hard task.

A smile costs absolutely nothing and is worth a fortune.I smile every day and I can see the effect it has on others.(I just hope that sometime in the future there aren't statues of skinny monks sitting in restuarants with people calling it buddha):lol:

And practice.
    Yeah,don't forget the practice.
    Fede you forgot to mention something,so please allow me to do so.You also accompanied your father on this journey.Thats huge.
    With metta
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Most excellent!

Many years ago I was in major trouble. A very elderly Korean gentleman helped
    me along my path. When I was persistent about repaying him in some way, he simply
    said: In your life, be certain to help 10 people. Tell each of those 10 to help 10 others.
    And those 10 in turn to help 10 others. You are one of my ten.

This was not to be an easy "repayment" as I knew the old guy was referring to life-changing
    help as he had given me. I think I'm at about 6 now, and hope to repay him in full before I pass.
    edited November 2010
    Most excellent!

Many years ago I was in major trouble. A very elderly Korean gentleman helped
    me along my path. When I was persistent about repaying him in some way, he simply
    said: In your life, be certain to help 10 people. Tell each of those 10 to help 10 others.
    And those 10 in turn to help 10 others. You are one of my ten.

This was not to be an easy "repayment" as I knew the old guy was referring to life-changing
    help as he had given me. I think I'm at about 6 now, and hope to repay him in full before I pass.

Sounds like good advice to me.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Ram Dass said "If you think you're so enlightened, spend a week with your parents."

That sounds like a compassion challenge to me!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    O Dear Snowpaw, young lady! So good to see your dear voice again!

How old are you now? 13 or 14?

What a splendid idea. I'm gonna go out of my way tomorrow at work to spread the joy with one or two constantly hurting and unpleasant co-workers and then branch out from there. It might be kinda hard, cuz I'm such a good egg already, but there's always more ways of having fun to be found. Feels so good!

Snowpaw, you really helped me deal with Christmas last year, by means of your posts! Christmas is a very difficult time for me because people make too much out of it and thereby ruin it. If they'd simply let it flow rather than making such a fuss, the good would still outweigh the bad.

I sure do hope you'll have time to visit us with your very special enthusiasms.

XXX,

N
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you! I'm glad you benefited from my christmas posts.

Oh and by the way (lol) I'm a boy. I'm 16 now. I get busy at school so sometimes I can't post for awhile. I've almost finished external examinations now so I'm half on holiday.

I did the challenge I've set. For three people I prayed for them, it helped me feel more compassion. For the fourth person ( my dad/super awesome friend) i gave money I found, it was little but I guess helped in detachment from money and helped in generosity. Fifth wsa a bird. I was doing chores outside and I found a baby bird stuck in a tree near my house, I think it tried to fly and it caught in the branches. I helped it down but somehting was wrong with its neck, its head was upside down almost! I kept it in the garden, safe from cats and the parents found it again, so they still feed it. I took it to the vets today and there's a chance it'll survive so I've left it (and keeping an eye on it) in the garden as it's being fed by its parents. Turns out it's a muscle injury. It walks backwards as it's hed is always tilted 90 degrees and as a result can't really fly. The vet said it would recover in a few days but if it starts getting worse and it loses weight etc. I'll take it to the Vets so it can be put to sleep, peacefully.

I'm ready for the next challenge. Any suggestions?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm ready for the next challenge. Any suggestions?

Hey, Sorry for the confusion on my part, Snowpaw!

I'm glad you didn't write, Ready for the next suggestion, any Challenges?

Now, that would not be the absolutely best way to approach compassionate action for most of us, who are not Superman or Spiderman or such. You write well for your 16 years!

My one suggestion is not to count. Counting seems to be starting from the mind, rather than from the heart. It is better to do one thing well from the heart than a hundred things the mind tells us we ought to do. That is my sincere opinion on this matter.

Maybe I'm just too lazy to count, though. Actually, other than taking another really nice shirt to one of my poor patients who needed a warm shirt today, I'd just like to say I tried a little harder to go out of my way to be extra smiling and talkative to people who I have lately had some difficulties with.