Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma and Rebirth by Traleg Rinpoche

WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
Hi all,

Traleg Rinpoche has just finished writing a book on Karma and Rebirth. It will be interesting to see how it pans out against the volume of books on the topic that devalue its significance in modern context. I am looking forward to reading it. A brief preview is here: http://tralegrinpoche.typepad.com/my_weblog/karma-rebirth-excerpt-preview.html

Cheers, WK

Comments

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    :thumbsup:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That looks like it'd be a very interesting read; no doubt many people, especially in the West, take karma as something just to believe in.
  • edited November 2010
    I always enjoy Traleg Rinpoche's writing. He seems to have a gift for expressing very advanced ideas in a way that's easy to apprehend.

But what about his assertion that karma is a concept that young people are drawn to, but that elders retreat from? Is that true? Are there any elders among us who could speak to this?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Age brings fear and regret, and aversion to accepting that the responsibility was always our own. That's my guess.
  • edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Age brings fear and regret, and aversion to accepting that the responsibility was always our own. That's my guess.

So you mean that these are probably people who realize that they're running out of time, and didn't do enough to devote their lives to service to others and practicing the dharma?
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    We're all running out of time, those that make it to a venerable age are fortunate, but we never know when our time is up. But, for me, its easy to be complacent, yet, fortunately, or unfortunately, I am constantly given reminders as are we all. Coincidently it was Traleg Rinpoche in Mind at Ease who first taught me this point on impermanence. A case in point, I came home today to an unusual situation that no-one was home, there was a very strange inner feeling that my family were a mere illusion and this could easily have been a situation where they are no longer there. Those moments help you appreciate the people who you love and also those you meet, they are only there for a period of time like a flash of lightning and then they're gone. It's so kind for other sentient beings to keep us company as well in our existence.

Cheers, WK
    ===========================
    Practise, practise, practise.
  • edited November 2010
    "However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do if you do not act upon them?" --Andyrobyn

It's not an either-or situation. You can enjoy inspiring reading, and even learn from it, while also practicing daily.

I think if you devote yourself to practice and helping others, whenever your time comes, you may feel like there's still a lot of unfinished business (the planet is full of samsara!), but you'll know you did your best.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I am not exactly an elder I'm 55. I am going to give my take on understanding karma as you age. I will use my life as an example. I have always made my living as a fisherman. I have caused the deaths of countless beings. This should be the cause of much negative karma. Every one here would agree with that. It may very well in time. But when I look at my children I feel that anything that I may suffer has been worth it. If not for fishing, they would not be here. I met their mother at the dock. Everything they have came from fishing. My daughter, at 23 has traveled to 25 countries. She is finishing her degree in religious studies and art history. She is a lifeguard and she volunteers with mentally challenged swimmers. My son is a musician (grade 10 piano and classical guitar). He is at the top of his class in computer programming. His mind works so much better than mine that I am blown away by it. He has never even smoked a joint. If it sounds like I'm bragging, I am. But my point is while carrying out a living that is considered blameworthy, two excellent people got their start from it. Their karma is entwined with it. With the fish. Perhaps even more than mine. Who knows what insights they will have? Maybe many others will benefit from those two. How can I look at my karma with any concepts of what is negative or positive. It is to deep for that. All I can say is that I don't understand it.-P
  • edited November 2010
    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.