Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Documentary about Buddhism in the UK

edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am hoping people may be able to help me.

I am a Final Year Film Student at Staffordshire University and for my final year project I will be creating a documentary on modern Buddhism within the UK.

Buddhism interests me greatly, although I have only become more aware of the teachings and practices concerning buddhism over the past year.

I am enthusiastic about this topic and would like to hear what buddhism means to people.

Any information about buddhism within your local area and how (if there is any specific way) you incorporate buddhism into your daily routine.

Also, any additional information which you think may be able to myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou for your time and hopefully some-one will be able to help : )

Gemma

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    It would be of comfort to know that you intend to become a regular member of this forum, and are not merely "touting for business".

We have had several requests for all manner of input, but little 'payment' in the form or reciprocal contributions from those asking for our help, time, input and effort.

We'd love to help.
    We particularly love to help fellow members.....;)

I live in Hertfordshire, by the way, about a 20-minute drive from my local monastery.....

Feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help. :)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    _Gemma_ wrote: »
    Hello,

I am new to this forum and am hoping people may be able to help me.

I am a Final Year Film Student at Staffordshire University and for my final year project I will be creating a documentary on modern Buddhism within the UK.

Buddhism interests me greatly, although I have only become more aware of the teachings and practices concerning buddhism over the past year.

I am enthusiastic about this topic and would like to hear what buddhism means to people.

Any information about buddhism within your local area and how (if there is any specific way) you incorporate buddhism into your daily routine.

Also, any additional information which you think may be able to myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou for your time and hopefully some-one will be able to help : )

Gemma

Well there are certainly a lot of Buddhist centres in and around the UK. BuddhaNet Directory can help guide you there if relevant.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • edited November 2010
    Gemma

I just posted the following to a thread on a similar subject. The other thread was about whether it was right to call one self a Buddhist if not adhering to everything etc.

My rough thoughts are below but I would be happy to elaborate or discuss further within the context of the question you have posed:

Hello,

I agree that I find it difficult to call myself a 'Buddhist' as I have not taken any vows or formally joined a Sangha. However, I think Buddhism can considered a philosophy, religion or lifestyle.

To me it is mainly a philosophy. Since I take philosophy seriously in the sense that it provides me with a guide to interpret existence, it is not an academic pursuit, but it directly influences my worldview and lifestyle.

It is a way of life prescribed as a means to end dukkha (pain, suffering, stress, dissatisfaction), which results in birth, aging, disease, death, and endless rebirths so long as I continue to cling, desire, lust for, and remain addicted to that which causes my suffering.

Whether it is a religion or lifestyle depends on who is practicing it. Some cultures are raised to practice Buddhism religiosticly, but this is not what Buddha taught. Buddha taught that life is dukkha: pain, suffering, stress, dissatisfaction, which results in birth, aging, disease, death and endless rebirths so long as we cling, desire, lust for, and remain addicted to that which causes our suffering.

What makes it a lifestyle and how is it different from simply following religion?

The Noble Eight Fold Path is a prescription for a life style which will result in release from this samsaric realm of birth, aging, disease, death, and rebirths (etc. as previously stated.).

It differs from a religion in that it does not require simple belief, but instead requires personal practice, validation, and verification of the consequences of our intentional actions and their results/consequences. One can then draw a corollary between what behaviors cause beneficial and non-beneficial results.

With no long tradition in the West I personally don't feel comfortable with a lot of the spiritual baggage that seems to come with Tibetan Buddhism mostly owing I think to its close links with Tibet's historical Bon religion. Bon is still practiced in over 260 monasteries in Tibet. (Worth reading around the subject as at today 2010).

As Buddhism spread to China, Thailand, Vietnam, Korea, Japan etc it took on many peculiarities of the indigenous people and their beliefs.

Therefore, in the West something similar is surely happening. I have spoken to many who are drawn to Buddhism owing to a lack in faith of a 'God' in the Christian tradition. Buddha encouraged people to take his teachings and dismantle them and test them to destruction. For me this suggests looking closely at his teachings and the core principles and not dwelling to much on what 16th century monks in Tibet or elsewhere were saying.

I know for some this is not popular and it has been suggested to me that it is wrong to reject such a great lineage of teaching. That might be true but for me I would like to see a Western tradition that encompasses our respect for democracy, freedom of speech, equal rights and tolerance etc combined with Buddhas teachings.

Does such a new tradition exist?

Just my thoughts

Clavain

UK (Wirral so nearby;))
    edited November 2010
    Clavain wrote: »
    As Buddhism spread to China, Thailand, Vietnam, Korea, Japan etc it took on many peculiarities of the indigenous people and their beliefs.

Therefore, in the West something similar is surely happening. I have spoken to many who are drawn to Buddhism owing to a lack in faith of a 'God' in the Christian tradition. Buddha encouraged people to take his teachings and dismantle them and test them to destruction. For me this suggests looking closely at his teachings and the core principles and not dwelling to much on what 16th century monks in Tibet or elsewhere were saying.

I know for some this is not popular and it has been suggested to me that it is wrong to reject such a great lineage of teaching. That might be true but for me I would like to see a Western tradition that encompasses our respect for democracy, freedom of speech, equal rights and tolerance etc combined with Buddhas teachings.

Does such a new tradition exist?

Just my thoughts

Clavain

UK (Wirral so nearby;))

The packaging is not the true gift but if the packaging is a huge obstacle for you, I think there are centres like Western Buddhist Order

_/\_
  • edited November 2010
    Floating Bo

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check this out. My feeling is that I don't wish to be disrespectful to the groups I have attended. I live in the NW of the UK and attend a local New Kadampa Tradition group as I enjoy the group meditation and everyone is very nice. However, when I read on the web about all the ill feeling between the NKT and the Dali Lama supporters it really saddens me. I have always liked the Dali Lama but know some who feel very different. Hence my interest in a more Western approach.

Guess it would not take too long for some falling out even in the west though...

I will have a look at the Western Buddhist Order.

Thanks

Clavain
    edited November 2010
    Steering away from controversial traditions, make peace with a sitting group. Look past the cultural baggage and look to the message, the meaning inherent in all teachings.

Good Luck with FWBO. I have not looked into them, personally my own bias was always for authenticity rather than style (whatever the preferred style is) and in that regard, I have been quite lucky.

Bless,
    Abu