Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have you taken the precepts?

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hey gang,
Have any of you taken the precepts yet? My teacher suggested that I start thinking about it and I think another person in my offline sangha is going to take them in June also. We have to do 3,000 prostrations/bows before the ceremony,(I had back surgery last year and can't physically do prostrations, so I got off lucky there) and chant the Triple Gem 33 times a day. Plus meditate daily.

What I'm finding quite interesting is that it isn't a chore to me. When I was a Bible Beater, I would have to force myself to read the Bible and pray daily. With this, I'm just doing the best I can. If I miss something one day, I don't beat myself up about it, I just get right back up on the horse the next day. Some of you know I work nights, and I might miss a bowing session (I can chant and meditate in the hospital chapel). But the point is I'm finding the time to do this where I would procrastinate so much in my former religion that I started to hate myself, then the religion. I'm just surprised that I don't find this a chore. I want to do these practices. I don't even care if I hit nirvana after this lifetime. Doing these practices daily is changing something inside. I'm even trying to give up some of my bad habits related to morality. I can make a truck drive blush the way I swear. I'm starting to drop it. I find I don't want to anymore.

Had to share this with someone so you guys got to hear it. Just excited about my practice these days. You can tell I'm a newbie!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    This is a wonderful, positive and inspiring post.
    I haven't taken the precepts officially.... i didn't even take Refuge officially. This is something i did privately and personally but I'm delighted to hear of your progress, Jerbear. Please keep us updated on every aspect and detail. This is interesting. :)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I took the precepts this summer. But I have not done anywhere near close to 3,00 prostrations yet. :rolleyes:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I took the precepts last year, but I've never had to "do" anything. I'm not trying to offend, but those would be meaningless rituals to me. If they bring peace to you, then that is a good thing :)

Best of luck!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Brian,
    I guess it's different for different sects of Buddhism. I believe your temple is Theravadan and mine is Zen. See what a big difference a few miles make. Considering that I wasn't sure of what I would be able to do when I was released from the hospital after back surgery, this is a thrill.

I'm glad you took the precepts in your way. It worked for you.

Jerry
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Fede my darling,
    Since were so close, I thought I could call you that. Now that you know where Jerbear comes from that is. Originally when I read what was required to take the precepts at my temple, I thought "NO WAY!". But at the beginning of the year, I almost died after my surgery. It took many months before I was able to even attend a temple service. It was what I read at home that was all I had. Being able to meditate with medium pain is great. Sometimes with no pain.
    But I decided if I was going to practice Buddhism, I was going to do it wholeheartedly. I'm not sure if I had a near death experience or not but I could see fellow nurses getting ready to code me. It was only for maybe 15 seconds and it could have been all the drugs they had me on. I don't know. But since I left the Christian church behind over a decade ago, there has been a hole inside that my practice seems to fill. The thinking behind all of it is that you are proving your sincerity of practice with all these practices. And since it takes a total of 10 minutes a day for the bows and chants, it's no big deal. It's actually kind of fun for me as previously stated. I will keep you updated.
    edited November 2005
    I just reread my post and realized how shitty that sounded. I'm sorry, Jerbear. I truly didn't mean that in a disparaging way.

On a side note, we should meet up for coffee or something someday. You are just miles away from me, and we both hang out in Royal Oak it seems :D
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Brian,
    Thanks for the apology. I tried to write the kindest response I could. I do honestly believe that we all have different ways of doing things.
    I don't know if you'rea coffee drinker or not, but it would be cool to meet at Caribou Coffee or Starbucks. I'm trying to lose some weight so I will just have boring regular coffee or tea. But would love to talk to you. I'll send you a PM with my phone number. Please remember I work nights but part time. Most days it's cool to call in the morning. But if you don't get an answer then you know I'm sleeping.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    *sigh*

The dukkha of the past.

I miss hanging out in Royal Oak and Fernadale drinking coffee.

Those were the days.

:(

Jason
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    *sigh*

The dukkha of the past.

I miss hanging out in Royal Oak and Fernadale drinking coffee.

Those were the days.

:(

Jason

Jason,
    I miss hanging out in Mill Valley and Corte Madera hanging out with my buds and drinking coffee. I lived in Northern California. Looking through the bookstores while we enjoyed getting a massive caffeine buzz. My, that's been 15 years now. When we have a cup of coffee in Royal Oak or Ferndale, will think about you.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Brian,
    Thanks for the apology. I tried to write the kindest response I could. I do honestly believe that we all have different ways of doing things.
    I don't know if you'rea coffee drinker or not, but it would be cool to meet at Caribou Coffee or Starbucks. I'm trying to lose some weight so I will just have boring regular coffee or tea. But would love to talk to you. I'll send you a PM with my phone number. Please remember I work nights but part time. Most days it's cool to call in the morning. But if you don't get an answer then you know I'm sleeping.

You guys SUCK!

Getting to hang out with each other drinking coffee while the rest of us don't get to meet anybody from here.

I'm so pissed! :mad:

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Buddhafoot,
    I'M SO PISSED YOU CAN'T JOIN US! Why don't you move to Michigan and join us for coffee? Oh, you can't do that. Your tough luck. YOU SUCK!!
    edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Buddhafoot,
    I'M SO PISSED YOU CAN'T JOIN US! Why don't you move to Michigan and join us for coffee? Oh, you can't do that. Your tough luck. YOU SUCK!!

You know... I worked for a company where we had Ford for a customer. Had to go to Detroit a number of times. It's been so long ago, that I can't remember if there were Ford offices downtown or if it was in some suburb of Detroit...

But, I do remember driving to downtown Detroit a number of times.

I was amazed at the number of burned out, crack-houses there were that lined the freeway. Or maybe the state just likes to line their freeways with house that have been burned out and boarded up.

That was also the year that car-jackings were popular in Detroit and kids liked throwing bowling balls off the freeway over passes.

Nice place.

I think I'll stay here and have my coffee. Besides, this is Washington State - we're the coffee kings. The rest of you people are pretenders to the throne.
    WE were the first state to take something as traditional as espresso - and bastardize it to the point where you can basically go into a gas station bathroom and there will be an espresso machine in the toilet stall.

Isn't America great?

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Buddhafoot,
    If I ever get out your way, I would love to have a cup of coffee with you. The real stuff (I think you are talking about the bastardized Starbucks) and have a conversation. I know we have had a few conversations already via PM, but you seem to be someone that would be fun to talk to. If you are like me at all, it would be a hoot to see who messed with the others mind the most. Hahahahahahahahahaha :PWNED:
    edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Buddhafoot,
    If I ever get out your way, I would love to have a cup of coffee with you. The real stuff (I think you are talking about the bastardized Starbucks) and have a conversation. I know we have had a few conversations already via PM, but you seem to be someone that would be fun to talk to. If you are like me at all, it would be a hoot to see who messed with the others mind the most. Hahahahahahahahahaha :PWNED:

Deal.

I am fun to talk to. A real friggin' hoot.

But no mind messing.

You should see the mess I've done to my own. Oy!

-bf
    edited November 2005
    I had a great time meeting Jerbear today.

Actually, I must admit, I didn't have coffee. My bad.

BF, next time, you should hop on a plane and meet us for lunch :p
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Brian,
    Remember, we both po. He must buy his own plane ticket.
    edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Brian,
    Remember, we both po. He must buy his own plane ticket.

Wow!

Thanks you guys - you are really great. :wtf:

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Deal.

I am fun to talk to. A real friggin' hoot.

But no mind messing.

You should see the mess I've done to my own. Oy!

-bf

BF,
    I did a lot of LSD as a teenager. :rarr: Fried a few million brain cells from all the drugs, so don't worry. I don't have much of a mind left to mess with. And I've decided to donate a dollar to your airfare. Aww, I'll be more generous, how about 2 bucks?