Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What You Resist, Persists

LostieLostie Veteran
edited November 2010 in Meditation
What You Resist, Persists.

Is it fair to sum up the practice of Buddhist mindfulness/meditation with the above statement?

And we humans are damn good at it. That's why it's the hardest part. :)

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Just about as useful as summing up Buddhism in five words or one sentence. We still need to know much more for our practice. :)
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    My progress suggests that being able to see and focus on the illusory nature of all that we experience in this samsaric condition gives us the courage to remain open, to see the value in being observant and to continue to question our assumptions, attitudes and behaviour. This is is what we have to do if we are to make progress on the spiritual path.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    And what you persist will never cease to exists:0
  • edited November 2010
    Meditation can help build up your mental muscle so that you can more aptly choose your thoughts.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Meditation can help build up your mental muscle so that you can more aptly choose your thoughts.
    I disagree. Tell me why I disagree. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    I disagree. Tell me why I disagree. :)

No offense, but I'm not a psychic. You tell me.

I will say that there may not really be a mental muscle, however when one truly learns and embraces that they have the power to choose their thoughts, which meditation can help them embrace, they have indeed laid the foundation to a happier life, where they can choose their thoughts, instead of focusing on the random thoughts that pop up in their head that may not be beneficial.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Maybe I'm reading you wrong. Bit tired. :yawn:

Would it be correct to say that, to your understanding, the goal of meditation is to develop greater will-power/control?