Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Does One Practice Lying Down Meditation?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2010 in Meditation
How Does One Practice Lying Down Meditation?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Easy. Just... lay down. As long as your breathing is unobstructed and you are comfortable (not too comfortable, i.e. falling asleep), you should not find much difficulty in meditation. This at least goes for Vipassana; I know it'd probably give some zazen practitioners apoplexy to ever suggest laying down! :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thank you!
    Yea, I am focusing on Vipassana...
    I do Zazen for 15 minutes and the lying down will be my second type of meditation.
    Usually, 20 min.

Thanks!
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Same way as sitting without the sitting part. Sitting is preferred because it's harder to fall asleep. If you try to meditate in bed, you're likely to take a nap rather than meditate. Also, the mind does some strange things in that moment you fall asleep, out of body experiences, astral projection, lucid dreaming or hallucination are likely and unhelpful outcomes.

If you can be alert while lying down, go for it. If not, a chair may be a better alternative.
    edited November 2010
    Thank you ShiftPlusOne.
    What about lying on the floor?
    Thanks!
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'd say give it a go. It's all about experience as well as trial and error. I am as likely to fall asleep in bed as I am on the floor. However, I still meditate in bed, before I go to sleep.

I used to have trouble falling asleep, but stilling the mind helps deal with that insomnia greatly. So, in my case falling asleep is actually a good thing, but not very productive in terms on insight. If I want to have a proper meditation session, I use a chair.
    edited November 2010
    Thank you so much for your time!
  • edited November 2010
    Put a book under your head! It might make you less likely to fall asleep!
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It may sound a bit morbid, but this position is known as the corpse pose in Yoga.

You lay on your back on the floor, preferably on a carpet or mat and allow
    your arms to rest at your side, with palms upward. Your legs should be
    straight and your feet should be gently turned outwards.
  • edited November 2010
    Rob3rt wrote: »
    Put a book under your head! It might make you less likely to fall asleep!

And if you are observing the breath (shamatha/breath meditation), lying down, place a book on your abdomen and use it as the focus point for observing the rise and fall of the abdomen. I found it quite helpful when I'm tired and distracted.
    edited November 2010
    Thanks everyone!
  • edited November 2010
    Just lie down and dont overthink it. I meditate lieing in bed or in a chair on a regular basis due to a neuro muscular disorder and it works well. So long as your back is straight you should be OK.
    edited November 2010
    Just lie down and dont overthink it. I meditate lieing in bed or in a chair on a regular basis due to a neuro muscular disorder and it works well. So long as your back is straight you should be OK.

Thanks!
    How long and do you practice Zen or Vipassana Meditation?
    And you right... do not over think it!
  • edited November 2010
    It may sound a bit morbid, but this position is known as the corpse pose in Yoga.

You lay on your back on the floor, preferably on a carpet or mat and allow
    your arms to rest at your side, with palms upward. Your legs should be
    straight and your feet should be gently turned outwards.

lol, this pose on the P90X program is what got me into meditation and ultimately Buddhism.

I like to lay on my back when I do breath meditation. I use a yoga mat and a small pillow to support my head when I don't meditate in bed. The biggest risk is losing mindfulness and falling asleep.

Generally I'll try and meditate anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes.