Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism on Work?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2010 in General Banter
Buddhism on Work?
What did Buddha say about work?
Any Sutras that speak on this?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    He didn't emphasize work as being a necessity or a duty or anything like that... but he did include within the precept of Right Livelihood the types of employ that are harmful and should be avoided:

(From Wikipedia)
    The five types of businesses that are harmful to undertake are:<sup id="cite_ref-46" class="reference">[47]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-47" class="reference">[48]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-48" class="reference">[49]</sup>
    1. Business in weapons: trading in all kinds of weapons and instruments for killing.
    2. Business in human beings: slave trading, prostitution, or the buying and selling of children or adults.
    3. Business in meat: "meat" refers to the bodies of beings after they are killed. This includes breeding animals for slaughter.
    4. Business in intoxicants: manufacturing or selling intoxicating drinks or addictive drugs.
    5. Business in poison: producing or trading in any kind of toxic product designed to kill.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Wow!
    Thank you so much!
    This is on Wikipedia?
    Thank you!
    I will check it out.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yeah there usually is something on Wikipedia, though I didn't do a search of Wikipedia exclusively (went to Google and just dropped 'right livelihood' in; gotta love it).
    edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Yeah there usually is something on Wikipedia, though I didn't do a search of Wikipedia exclusively (went to Google and just dropped 'right livelihood' in; gotta love it).

:)
    Thanks!
    Interesting.
    What are your thoughts on work?
    Where do you work?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Empty. Conventionally it's just a system of routine, part of a larger system we share that imposes a same-ness for foundation of being "one of many" from which to operate and exercise the will to be happy. Buncha things to cling to if you want.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Here is a little on work, wealth and laziness:
    Sigalovada Sutta: The Buddha's Advice to Sigalaka
    13. "These are the six dangers inherent in laziness: saying, 'It's too cold,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too hot,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too late,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too early,' one does not work; saying, 'I'm too hungry,' one does not work; saying, 'I'm too full,' one does not work. With an abundance of excuses for not working, new wealth does not accrue and existing wealth goes to waste."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html
    With Metta,
    Todd
    edited November 2010
    Empty. Conventionally it's just a system of routine, part of a larger system we share that imposes a same-ness for foundation of being "one of many" from which to operate and exercise the will to be happy. Buncha things to cling to if you want.

Interesting!
    I like!
    edited November 2010

How true!
    Thank you for the wise words!
    edited November 2010
    Here is a little on work, wealth and laziness:
    Sigalovada Sutta: The Buddha's Advice to Sigalaka
    13. "These are the six dangers inherent in laziness: saying, 'It's too cold,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too hot,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too late,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too early,' one does not work; saying, 'I'm too hungry,' one does not work; saying, 'I'm too full,' one does not work. With an abundance of excuses for not working, new wealth does not accrue and existing wealth goes to waste."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html
    With Metta,
    Todd

That is interesting!
    What is your take on work?
    Does anyone else have any thoughts?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    talk about bumping... not figured it out for yourself yet? or just bored? :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    The devil finds work for idle hands.
    Find something to do, Leon. ;)
    Lol!
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Not sure what Mr. Buddha Pants has to say about work. But my reality says you either work or starve. It's not really a choice. What is a choice is liking or disliking your work. I don't find the sense in doing either. I find that seeing it as just work helps me stay content about life.

I'm actually in school now with a part-time job so it applies to school as well. Actually, it applies to everything. Your life gets a lot lighter when you see everything as it actually is, lol. Go figure.
    edited January 2011
    "Mr Buddha Pants" says there are certain jobs which are considered 'unskilful. Here they are.

What jobs can you see yourself definitely NOT doing?

(would you still be completely happy doing them even if you were hungry?)

I've had my fair share of austerity and "poverty" over the last few years. There are still jobs I personally would never do, no matter how destitute I was....

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I'm super grateful that I have basic needs provided for me that enables me to have a choice over what type of work I can do. A lot of people don't have that choice. So yeah, I agree if you do have a choice it's awesome to do something that helps rather than harm others (as my boy Buddha suggests in that link). Therefore, it makes me happy to do work that helps myself and others and I wouldn't be happy doing work that harms myself and others. However, I can also see that for a person with no other options (impoverished etc.) they might have to get into some unskillful dealings to support their family etc.

I dunno it's all circumstantial.
    Not sure what Mr. Buddha Pants has to say about work. But my reality says you either work or starve. It's not really a choice. What is a choice is liking or disliking your work. I don't find the sense in doing either. I find that seeing it as just work helps me stay content about life.

I'm actually in school now with a part-time job so it applies to school as well. Actually, it applies to everything. Your life gets a lot lighter when you see everything as it actually is, lol. Go figure.
    Interesting!
    I enjoyed your response!
    Where do you work part time and what are you studying in school?

• [*][B]Business in meat[/B]: "meat" refers to the bodies of beings after they are killed. This includes breeding animals for slaughter.
    Aha! Now we know why Tibetans leave the slaughtering and selling of meat to the Muslims and other non-Buddhists. These guidelines are new to me, thank you, Cloud.

• edited January 2011
    Hi Leon,

You can find out more concerning Right Livelihood (samma ajiva) here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/waytoend.html#ch4

From the link........

"Right livelihood is concerned with ensuring that one earns one's living in a righteous way. For a lay disciple the Buddha teaches that wealth should be gained in accordance with certain standards. One should acquire it only by legal means, not illegally; one should acquire it peacefully, without coercion or violence; one should acquire it honestly, not by trickery or deceit; and one should acquire it in ways which do not entail harm and suffering for others.

The Buddha mentions five specific kinds of livelihood which bring harm to others and are therefore to be avoided: dealing in weapons, in living beings (including raising animals for slaughter as well as slave trade and prostitution), in meat production and butchery, in poisons, and in intoxicants (AN 5:177).

He further names several dishonest means of gaining wealth which fall under wrong livelihood: practicing deceit, treachery, soothsaying, trickery, and usury (MN 117). Obviously any occupation that requires violation of right speech and right action is a wrong form of livelihood, but other occupations, such as selling weapons or intoxicants, may not violate those factors and yet be wrong because of their consequences for others."

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    This reminds me of the Orthodox Jews who employ neighbourhood (non-Jewish) kids to come and turn their lights on and off on the sabbath, or conservative Amish families who work deals with their less conservative neighbours to use their phone, welding equipment etc. My brother was telling me about a Mennonite family who make it their 'job' to chauffer their more conservative neighbours around. This family has purchased a several passenger van just for this purpose, and sometimes they travel long distances to get people where they need to go (probably from southern Ontario to Pennsylvania etc.)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Buddhism on Work?
    5. Right Livelihood

Pretty much sums it up in about, oh, two words.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Yeah, right. As if its easy.
  • edited January 2011
    Monastic life in a monastery is working towards peace and bliss. Their study, exploration and experience are always surrounding that context of simplicity, loving-kindness, silence or meditation :p
    Buddhism on Work?
    5. Right Livelihood

Pretty much sums it up in about, oh, two words.
    Meaning?
    Your opinion and your experience?
    Hi Leon,

You can find out more concerning Right Livelihood (samma ajiva) here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/waytoend.html#ch4

From the link........

"Right livelihood is concerned with ensuring that one earns one's living in a righteous way. For a lay disciple the Buddha teaches that wealth should be gained in accordance with certain standards. One should acquire it only by legal means, not illegally; one should acquire it peacefully, without coercion or violence; one should acquire it honestly, not by trickery or deceit; and one should acquire it in ways which do not entail harm and suffering for others.

The Buddha mentions five specific kinds of livelihood which bring harm to others and are therefore to be avoided: dealing in weapons, in living beings (including raising animals for slaughter as well as slave trade and prostitution), in meat production and butchery, in poisons, and in intoxicants (AN 5:177).

He further names several dishonest means of gaining wealth which fall under wrong livelihood: practicing deceit, treachery, soothsaying, trickery, and usury (MN 117). Obviously any occupation that requires violation of right speech and right action is a wrong form of livelihood, but other occupations, such as selling weapons or intoxicants, may not violate those factors and yet be wrong because of their consequences for others."

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

Thank you so much!