Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Dharma" in ONE SENTENCE

CloudCloud Veteran
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
In the spirit of what zendo began with his "Buddhism in Five Words" thread which become a shared journey to capture the essence of the Buddha's teachings (giving focus to all who participated and searched within to find their own answers)... and continued in like spirit by another with the less restrictive "Buddhism in ONE SENTENCE"...

Instead of trying to encompass the teachings, which are a reference and a guide to something very difficult to truly put into words, I'd like to invite everyone to share their vision of the DHARMA in one sentence (or the Tao, Reality, "that which is", etc.).

It doesn't have to be the full essence of the Dharma, just anything heartfelt and true to your convictions and/or experience, as simple or creative as you wish to express. I can't even think of a personal example, so... you guys start. Have fun! :D

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    This is all you'll ever need.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "Life is an ephemeral cloud of insubstantial formations, forever changing and ungraspable, reaching to awareness."

"Every compounded 'thing' is a part of something else, without autonomy."
  • edited November 2010
    All compounded things are impermanent, and whatever is impermanent is subject to change and whatever is subject to change is subject to suffering; with this the Buddha discovered that there is no "self" or "soul" that refers to an unchanging, permanent essence conceived by virtue of existence, so then to no longer suffer Buddha said that the key to dissolution or suffering is to no longer grasp at compounded phenomenon.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That's one long sentence Wizard. :)
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Just be.
  • edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    That's one long sentence Wizard. :)

I sure know how to make a Faulkner sentence. Ever read Going Down Moses? Some of those 'sentences' were almost 2 pages long!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I'm at least grateful you punctuated....I've read entire 20-line posts without a bit of punctuation in sight, and been blue in the face by the end of it........

I was thinking of elaborating on my first effort..... but I'll just let it lie.....:)
  • edited November 2010
    I like yours how it is, and without punctuation I get dizzy.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Anything you can ever possibly experience is Dharma.
  • edited November 2010
    Dharma is the Path out of suffering.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "Put it down."
  • qohelethqoheleth Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Along similar lines, from Ajahn Chah: "Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing."