Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Astral Travelling

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
Well, I sort of popped out a small question in a different thread I started, but it just made me curious so I decided to expand on the question.

For me, I never really believed in planes of existence, and just believed in the teachings of 8fold path/4 precepts/and other teachings, but there was this one moment my consciousness got "lifted out" of my body during meditation and I really saw different realms. Sometimes, even in dreams.

I have experienced this occasionally, and I'm really wondering if i'm doing meditative practice in the right way. Has anyone else experienced Astral Travelling when meditating?

Or is it just a delusion?

Just wondering, would this technique actually be similar to what the Buddha used to gain perspectives on all the different realms/universes/dimensionality?

Links on astral projection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection
http://www.maithri.com/links/articles/life_bynd1.htm

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    compassion wrote: »
    Just wondering, would this technique actually be similar to what the Buddha used to gain perspectives on all the different realms/universes/dimensionality?
    No, what the Buddha did was much more prosaic. He described it in the anapanasati sutra.
  • edited November 2010
    compassion wrote: »
    I have experienced this occasionally, and I'm really wondering if i'm doing meditative practice in the right way. Has anyone else experienced Astral Travelling when meditating?

Technically yes... and this is perfectly normal when you're deconditioning your mind. I'll give you a hint. Read the Tapussa Sutra.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.041.than.html

Or is it just a delusion?

Buddha said it was a delusion and ultimately still was suffering. You have to go beyond perception and non-perception.

In a manner of speaking, yes. It occurs with activations of different Jhanas.
  • edited November 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    No, what the Buddha did was much more prosaic. He described it in the anapanasati sutra.

Anapanasati refers to the method of the mindfulness of breathing meditation. It's different from the type of meditative experience that the questioner asked about. The mediator had a moment of astral projection that the Buddha described and which through anapanasati was attained.
  • edited November 2010
    I think the experience you had is a sign that you're making progress in your meditation, Compassion. It might be considered a type of siddhi, the clairvoyant powers that arise as one's meditation practice advances. But they say not to get distracted by or attached to this "siddhi phase". Keep on truckin'. And you'll eventually pass through that phase to higher attainments. That's my understanding.
  • edited November 2010
    P.S. This astral travel experience is a good example of how some things can seem impossible to believe (the existence of past lives, another example) until one has an unusual experience, call it mystical, call it whatever, that convinces one of the reality of these unseen aspects of life.
  • edited November 2010
    be careful with this. sounds like it can easily become an attachment. don't seek it, if it happens it happens
  • edited November 2010
    The_Fruit_Punch_Wizard:
    Yes, I do practice mindfulness and have learnt it ever since a child. It's a pretty strange phenomena though, where I just find myself "travelling" in the middle of my meditative practices. That's why I'm truly curious if this is a normal scene during deep meditation.
    I experienced it when I somehow went into an extremely focused state.

compassionate_warrior:
    Yes, I realize it now. However this "siddhi phase" seems to be rather inconsistent. Are there ways to overcome such delusions/attachments?

Brandon:
    Thank you for the advice! I do realize it now, that I've been attached to this experience ever since the last time I experienced it because it really seemed thrilling. I see my mistake now. I will make an effort to correct my mistake!

Thank you for the sincere replies, everyone!!
  • edited November 2010
    [QUOTE=
    compassionate_warrior:
    Yes, I realize it now. However this "siddhi phase" seems to be rather inconsistent. Are there ways to overcome such delusions/attachments?[/QUOTE]

Refocus on the purpose of your meditation, try to keep your mind on your meditation techniques themselves...someone must have written about how to get past this phase. So many authors have cautioned against getting attached to the siddhis, but I haven't seen any advice (not that I recall) on how to get past it. I think I've read that you just keep up your meditation discipline, wait patiently, and "this, too, shall pass".

I can see how it could be thrilling. I wouldn't call it a delusion; I think astral travel is real. Attachment--yes.
  • edited November 2010
    Refocus on the purpose of your meditation, try to keep your mind on your meditation techniques themselves...someone must have written about how to get past this phase. So many authors have cautioned against getting attached to the siddhis, but I haven't seen any advice (not that I recall) on how to get past it. I think I've read that you just keep up your meditation discipline, wait patiently, and "this, too, shall pass".

I can see how it could be thrilling. I wouldn't call it a delusion; I think astral travel is real. Attachment--yes.

Okay, I shall. Perhaps this is just part of the barriers that I have to pass..

The thought occurred to me: 'What is the cause, what is the reason, why my heart doesn't leap up at being without directed thought, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace?'

This quote was from the sutra, I do not quite understand it, what exactly does it imply?
  • edited November 2010
    I've read that in the meditation practice, one encounters challenging periods as one progresses. One needs to regard those as nothing more than difficulties that will pass in time. One redoubles one's efforts, and forges ahead. That's what I understand. But I'm far from an expert. This is what I've read in many sources over the years, though. You could look at the positive side; good for you for having gotten this far! Many of us are way behind you.
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you for the encouragement, compassionate_warrior!

I think meditation is like walking down an unfamiliar road.

You keep walking straight, you meet many different people, and you have to say bye and continue walking on. If the road inclines, you walk on the steeper path, if it declines, you walk on the gentler path.

I haven't read the end of the path, but frankly speaking, just like the Buddha said, there is no beginning or end, and no permanence.
    So I will not be attached to the final destination as well. (:

I hope everyone will succeed in their path towards enlightenment as well!
    For me, I guess I'm still far away from enlightenment. :lol:
  • edited November 2010
    Very poetic. I think you'll go far.