Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Stroke of Insight

WonderingSeekerWonderingSeeker Explorer
edited November 2010 in General Banter
Jill Bolte Taylor's TED talk, titled "A Stroke of Insight" is a fascinating glimpse into what happens when someone suffers a stroke & observes what is happening to their own brain function. Inspirational - one question her experience raises is whether we can achieve the state she describes as 'nirvana' (I understand that it may not be 'correct' in Buddhist doctrinal terms) through meditation by quieting our left hemisphere & allowing the right side of our brain to view everything as intimately connected instead of separate.

I found the video very interesting.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Comments

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I would think that nirvana is very subjective. Each of us walk our own path and should therefore have our own nirvana.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Watched that video before. Sounds like she's gained some genuine insight from her experience.
  • edited November 2010
    Very inspirational.

left side=conventional wisdom
    right side=ultimate wisdom

Perhaps enlightenment within the realm of regular is existence is understanding how to utilize both. Perhaps nirvana is the loss of conventional wisdom, stepping into the ultimate. idk. just spitballin.