Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is tonglen an aprimanas practice (metta etc)

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
In tonglen you open to anothers pain... that opening is like kindness (metta). Then you feel their pain and take it in. That is like compassion (karuna). Then you think what would be a relief and breath that out to them joy (mudita)... Then you let go of the pleasure of that nice warm thought and return to opening that is equanimity (upekka).

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm not familiar with the term aprimanas, but from the context of your question, I assume it means the four immeasurables. Tonglen is closely related to the four immeasurables. My teacher has written about this.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thanks fivebells that was an interesting read. I'm not sure if I have the aprimanas word right but I think it is correct. Probably Tibetan or Sanskrit.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Unfortuantely, it appears that google has now blanked out that page (323) of the preview. Interesting.
  • edited November 2010
    This is a very powerful yet simpe practice that can help generate compassion for others. It can be expecialy effective when focused on those people that we are having a conflict with. After doing this practice, much of that conflict, which is simply a result of ouruntrained mind, will fall away.

At least this has been true for me.