Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

happiness after meditation

edited November 2010 in Meditation
I saw benefits from the very first time meditating. It has always calmed me. Recently, however, as i've been progressing and my concentration has been getting better and better, when I finish meditating i'm left feeling very happy. It's really nice. Do you guys get this?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    During meditation we suppress the tendency of the mind to latch onto thoughts and experiences so readily. It is natural then, in my opinion, that directly after meditation the mind thus recently trained will retain that pattern for a while. A peaceful, unattached mind is a happy mind.
  • edited November 2010
    It's crazy how simply being, not doing anything, can leave you feeling so happy.
  • edited November 2010
    Meditation has a way of making us see things clearer. That makes me happier.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes, most definitely.

However, although the same hormone is responsible for the emotion, through my countless meditative practices I have found that there is a slight difference between "being content" and "happiness".

Happiness is impermanent, while contentment seems to be an imprint in your consciousness, until it becomes a habit. (:
  • edited November 2010
    At the conclusion of a session of meditation, some of the mental burdens I'd been accumulating and carrying throughout the day seem to have fallen away. Best I can describe my feeling is "calm" and "serene". I kinda stay "untroubled" for awhile which is quite peaceful; but this feeling in impermenent (at least for me). Pretty soon, some of the mental burdens come back. I suppose with deep meditation and "insights" one could shrug off these mental burdens permanently... I am quite far from that stage. :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That can happen, and it feels good, but keep in mind that it's not the point, and it is probably ephemeral. Most of the time, I feel like crap after meditation, lately, and that's OK too (though obviously not as pleasant.)
  • edited November 2010
    Meditation focuses your mind. If that mindfulness carries over into the rest of your day, it can feel good. Especially if you worry a lot like me.
  • edited November 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    That can happen, and it feels good, but keep in mind that it's not the point, and it is probably ephemeral. Most of the time, I feel like crap after meditation, lately, and that's OK too (though obviously not as pleasant.)

Sometimes I get that 'crap' kinda feelings too, both during and outside meditation; this happens more frequently when my GAD rears its ugly head. When my anxiety levels are low (normal?), things are generally more pleasant.
  • edited November 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Sometimes I get that 'crap' kinda feelings too, both during and outside meditation; this happens more frequently when my GAD rears its ugly head. When my anxiety levels are low (normal?), things are generally more pleasant.

I know what you mean. My GAD (and SAD) can make it hard for me to meditate too.

But if I meditate before, it kind of prevents them from occuring, because it makes them not matter so much.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I've found walking meditation and body scans (especially) to help with anxiety. But I'm not sure if I have GAD. I know I have anxiety though!
  • edited November 2010
    I have also noticed that the mindfulness and relaxed concentration post meditation has been lasting a longer time. I also pray and do walking or a quick sitting meditation at a few points during the day to maintain the benifits.