Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Evolution And Buddhism

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
Many faiths struggle to fit the findings of modern science, Evolution in particular, into thier Religious / spiritual belief systems. So I am curious to see what people here think.

Is evolution consistent with , against or irrelevent to the Dharma Teachings?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Sounds exactly like what is in the agganna sutra.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/religion/f2001/edit/docs/aggannasutta.pdf
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    In perfect accord, in fact. Evolution is the process whereby all life is heading toward Nirvana. The simple lifeforms today will be reborn many countless times until complex lifeforms that suffer arise, and at some point are able to penetrate the Dharma. This is one reason why more complex animals have greater karmic weight, if say you were to kill one. Closer to the full mind faculties that can lead to Nirvana.

At least that's one way of thinking. There's also more effort and thought involved.

Life is change. Change -> complexity -> intelligence -> ignorance -> self-awareness and mental defilements -> suffering -> seeking liberation from suffering.
  • edited November 2010
    On the science part, Buddha implied the theory of the Evolution of Universe, where it is said to shrink and then expand in repeated cycles as well (The Big Bounce).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I hadn't read that. Do you have a reference by chance?
  • edited November 2010
    I posted it above. :D I recommend it.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Doesn't the Tibetan religious tradition have a "belief" or a "fable" about their founding by the union of a horrible ogress and a monkey?

I think I read somewhere not long ago (it might even have been here on NewBuddhist) that the Dalai Lama is said to have chuckled glowingly about evolution being a paradigm amenable to Buddhism — while referring to some monkeys.

:confused:WAIT, what is this thread doing in the Advanced Ideas thread ("for the not-so-new Buddhist to continue growing")?????:rolleyes:
  • edited November 2010
    No idea. I don't understand the criteria people have for each category. It doesn't need to be so strict.
  • edited November 2010
    I also was talking about what the Buddha said about the Big Bounce and Evolution, I remember finding it pretty interesting and way ahead of his time.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Life is change but it doesn't always necessarily evolve toward complexity and intelligence. It is seeking adaptation to conditions. The Spiny Dogfish (a small shark) has been around for some 175 million years. It is a very successful adaptation. It will likely be here unchanged a hundred million years after we have gone. Geese are like that too I believe. Humans are either a minor inconvenience or a benefit to them. Either way we are a just a blip in their evolutionary time span.-P
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It is interesting, though if the Buddha truly knew somehow he's still ahead of science. Science is still on the fence over whether the universe will continue to expand and lose heat, or will contract. Even then we're basing theories on top of theories to get there. :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    No idea. I don't understand the criteria people have for each category. It doesn't need to be so strict.

Strict? No. Hey, it's all good. There are probably at least twenty other threads buried on this forum on this same subject and the moderators are so kind as to let things get so pleasantly layered and iced. It's all good and not at all strict.

However, some of us who have been visiting here awhile and remember when Beginners was Buddhism 101 and Advanced Ideas Buddhism 202 might find it a bit comical that something we learned about in third or fourth grade was considered "advanced" thought.

I think the mosquito, built like an oil-rig drill, disproves Intelligent Design. Not to mention the prion and other pesky things such as opportunistic fish that invade and take over rivers —nor even to think of the virulent Ebola Virus.

Oh, and I left out the most important rebuttal of Intelligent Design:

The Bible says the human lifespan is three score years plus ten. Elsewhere it says 6 score if we do good. Well, behold the human pelvis's intersect with the femur: The Hip. Ne'er was a thing so ill designed to give 70 years of good service.
  • edited November 2010
    Turritopsis nutricula is also immortal.
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    However, some of us who have been visiting here awhile and remember when Beginners was Buddhism 101 and Advanced Ideas Buddhism 202 might find it a bit comical that something we learned about in third or fourth grade was considered "advanced" thought.

Lol.... I never would have thought of it that way:lol:
    I think the mosquito, built like an oil-rig drill, disproves Intelligent Design. Not to mention the prion and other pesky things such as opportunistic fish that invade and take over rivers —not even to mention the virulent Ebola Virus.

I think we will never know. It's like contemplating the navel.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Many faiths struggle to fit the findings of modern science, Evolution in particular, into thier Religious / spiritual belief systems. So I am curious to see what people here think.

Is evolution consistent with , against or irrelevent to the Dharma Teachings?

I'd say it's more or less irrelevant, although it's certainly not inconsistent.
    edited November 2010
    Sounds exactly like what is in the agganna sutra.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/religion/f2001/edit/docs/aggannasutta.pdf

In DN 27, the Buddha does give what can be interpreted as a rough theory of evolution to a pair of brahmins in that the physical characteristics of the mythological beings in question change due to environmental changes and interactions, as well as a description of how the universe began, so evolution definitely isn't inconsistent with Buddhism. That being said, I agree with Prof. Gombrich that, taking the context of DN 27 into account, this sutta is a lively and ingenious parody that was actually meant to make fun of the very need for a cosmology as a foundation for religious development.

Personally, I see Buddhism as dealing exclusively with mental stress and its cessation (i.e., psychology), not biology, or physics, etc. And while some people get excited when they discover Buddhism contains teachings which seem to be in accord with modern science, I think they can be misleading and shouldn't be taken too seriously, or at least, too literally. This is especially true considering that recent observations of cosmic background radiation indicate the universe is actually expanding at an accelerated rate, hence there may not be any contraction or 'Big Crunch.' Lawrence Krauss mentions this in his talk at the 2009 AAI Conference.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'd say it's in line. In one of the sutras he talk about how organisms change and evolve. It's not 100% accurate, in fact, it's quite ridiculous, but it's more accurate than anything else at the time.
  • edited November 2010
    Turritopsis nutricula is also immortal.

'In spite of this remarkable ability, most Turritopsis medusae are likely to fall victim to the general hazards of life as plankton, including being eaten by other animals, or succumbing to disease."

Nothing is permanent. :lol:
    But I guess the jellyfish doesn't have anything to worry or be attached about.

@ShiftPlusOne: Do you have a link to that text? I'm particularly interested in it as a student of biology! (:
    edited November 2010
    @compassion, it's exactly what The_Fruit_Punch_Wizard posted. I was in a hurry, so I didn't check exactly what others have referenced.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It is fortunate that more than a few Christians and Muslims are not stupid and understand that the processes of evolution are a reality and read the creation myths allegorically.
    edited November 2010
    I'd say it's in line. In one of the sutras he talk about how organisms change and evolve. It's not 100% accurate, in fact, it's quite ridiculous, but it's more accurate than anything else at the time.

Yes, I agree. At the very least, the creation myth in DN 27 attempts to give a naturalistic explanation of the origins of life and the universe.
    edited November 2010
    Not quite sure I am following DN27. Guess I'll get back to it when I have time to read it properly.
    edited November 2010
    Not quite sure I am following DN27. Guess I'll get back to it when I have time to read it properly.

DN 27 = the Aggana Sutta referenced above.
    edited November 2010
    I know, I started reading it, but was a bit pre-occupied, so it was just a wall of text. When I read sutras in a hurry I read the words, but they don't fit together. I suppose I am just not used to the language style, that's all.
    edited November 2010
    I know, I started reading it, but was a bit pre-occupied, so it was just a wall of text. When I read sutras in a hurry I read the words, but they don't fit together. I suppose I am just not used to the language style, that's all.

Oh, yeah, I completely misread that. I should really slow down when I read these things. :D

Too bad Gombrich's paper about DN 27 isn't online, that might be helpful.
    edited November 2010
    What's the paper called? I can probably find it.
    edited November 2010
    What's the paper called? I can probably find it.

Hm, now that I think about it, this is mentioned in his book, How Buddhism Began: The Conditioned Genesis of the Early Teachings (pg. 81-82). You could also try looking for his paper, "Why is a Khattiya called a Khattiya? The Agganna Sutta Revisited." There might be something about it in there too.
  • edited November 2010
    Came across this while reading some Berzin today:
    According to science, first the universe evolves and then life emerges. So, matter/energy transforms into experiencing things. Buddhism, on the other hand, takes a much larger view than science does. It explains that matter/energy and experiencing things both have no beginning. In one particular universe, similar to the scientific explanation, the material environment develops first and, once that environment is sufficiently developed so that it can support life, individual beings start to take rebirth in it. Also, in agreement with science, the life forms available for rebirth in one particular universe or, on one particular planet in it, may follow the Darwinian laws of evolution. But, Buddhism asserts countless universes, with no beginning of universes in general, and with each universe going through a cycle of evolution and destruction, but out of phase with each other. So, in terms of beginningless time, we cannot say that the material universe came first and then transformed into the experiencing of things.

On a micro, individual level, many scientists assert that the chemical and electrical processes in an embryo transform into the experiencing of things, with the physical basis coming first. But again, Buddhism refutes this position. The electrochemical transformations in a network of neurons do not create or transform into the individual, subjective experiencing of things. A succession of moments of electrochemical processes and a succession of moments of experiencing things constitute different continuums, because they are continuums of different categories of phenomena. Nevertheless, the two continuums have a relation with each other.
    So, if evolution asserts that our minds are a result of the evolution of our brains, I think Buddhism might disagree or at least make a subtle distinction between our minds and our minds being limited by the hardware they are currently associated with.
    edited November 2010
    Ah, shame I don't have access to books or journals of that sort.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for all the replies, They are interesting reading.