Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the dalai lama is very inspirational

edited November 2010 in General Banter
I'm reading a book of his. He really does know how to inspire you. So much wisdom and insight, and brilliantly communicated.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    "When the days become longer and there is more sunshine, the grass becomes fresh and, consequently, we feel very happy. On the other hand, in autumn, one leaf falls down and another leaf falls down. The beautiful plants become as if dead and we do not feel very happy. Why? I think it is because deep down our human nature likes construction, and does not like destruction. Naturally, every action which is destructive is against human nature. Constructiveness is the human way. Therefore, I think that in terms of basic human feeling, violence is not good. Non-violence is the only way." Dalai Lama

Very wise.
  • edited November 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I'm reading a book of his. He really does know how to inspire you. So much wisdom and insight, and brilliantly communicated.

I agree..before reading some of his books and some biographies on him, I'd never encountered a major religious figure that said any of the things he has professed. His belief in the necessity and validity of all religions (as well as tolerance for non-theism) and his complete lack of animosity toward science are particularly impressive to me.
  • edited November 2010
    He is certainly someone I respect.
    I particularly take delight in his book on science. (:
  • edited November 2010
    compassion wrote: »
    He is certainly someone I respect.
    I particularly take delight in his book on science. (:

Ooh, do you happen to remember the title? It's probably something I should add to my reading list..
  • edited November 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the book compassion was talking about, but HHDL has a book called The Universe in a Single Atom that I think fits the bill. I haven't read it, though. I'm currently reading How to See Yourself As You Really Are. It's essentially about emptiness with some good directions on meditation.

I saw him in Atlanta last month and thought it was a great experience, despite the sound problems they were having. I only went to one session, a teaching on compassion, but he was there most of the week, including a discussion on scientific discoveries related to meditation. I think all of the videos for that week are available on Emory University's website if you want to watch them. I probably will at some point. dalailama.emory.edu