Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How many times a day do you meditate?

edited December 2010 in Meditation
I'm curious if people generally meditate once a day or more than that. How long do your sessions last?

I've got an awkward situation because I live in a 1 bedroom apt, and there's really no place where I can't hear the dog. If I crate her she cries. If I don't she barks at noises in the hall. I try to pick times when I think she'll sleep for a while but that's sort of hit or miss. I even tried using the community room which worked the first time. But this afternoon someone came in and wanted to watch TV. Basically I'm lucky if I can find 45 uninterrupted minutes/day.

Sometimes I can grab short stretches of time outdoors or on the train when I go into town. But I don't feel I get deeply into it with those short times.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Uh, I don't have a moment where I don't practice mindfulness, but I sit down and meditate at least an hour a day. I might also do it early in the morning after reciting the refuge and the vows or late at night after reciting my refuge prayers and taking the vows again.
  • edited November 2010
    Before I developed varicose veins in my testicles it was close to 5 hours a day.

Seriously.

I would sit for an hour. Take a 10 minute break. Sit for an hour. Etc.

And I got varicose veins in my testicles.

Can we make this a thread about meditation injuries???

Anyway, why is the dog crying bothering you? I mean, when you meditate you will always hear something. Why does the dog crying upset your meditation and the air conditioning doesn't?

Meditate on that.

Seriously, when I am meditating the house will creak and I will about jump out of my skin. I've read this is a sign of 'inertia'.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I sit for about 20-25 minutes when I get up in the morning. Right now that's all my school schedule will allow. It's also about as much as I can do most times. Occasionally on a day off (when I used to have those) I would try to sit longer, and sometimes it worked.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    And I got varicose veins in my testicles.

What were you sitting on? My buckwheat hull zafu doesn't put any pressure on my genital area at all.
  • edited November 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    What were you sitting on? My buckwheat hull zafu doesn't put any pressure on my genital area at all.

That is exactly what I was sitting on!
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    For me, 30 minutes early a.m. and 10-15 minutes late p.m. But I am expanding those times slowly.

Also, pretty much anytime during the course of the day when I can snatch the time.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Generally 1 hour, twice a day. With each hour split into half chanting and half sitting. Have you looked into dog training methods to get the dog to stop barking at people?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    About 1-2 hours every night, more or less. Replaced that time of sleep with meditation; seems it is rest all the same.
  • edited November 2010
    I try to meditate for short times throughout the day.

All of the distractions that you mention can be very good tools to see when and how thoughts and thinking arise. I enjoy meditating on the bus or subway for just this reason.
  • edited November 2010
    I do walking meditation with tai ji chuan techniques, meditate on the toilet bowl (i'm not joking hahah), and meditate a sum of about 3 hours each day.

But since i've been doing it for about 12 years already, my blood pressure is fortunately low enough for me to instantaneously sleep into a meditative state.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    Before I developed varicose veins in my testicles it was close to 5 hours a day.
    I have problems with meditation reducing circulation to my urogenital region, too. To mitigate it, I sit on a bench, on an arrangement of cloths which probably makes it look like I have hemorrhoids. :)
    edited November 2010
    I've got an awkward situation because I live in a 1 bedroom apt, and there's really no place where I can't hear the dog. If I crate her she cries. If I don't she barks at noises in the hall.

First, earplugs. Get the long, pink ones which go really deep in your ear. I use them to sleep every night, and when I'm meditating if my fiance is talking to someone.

Secondly, train your dog to tolerate the crate. (Registration required; the username/password bugmenot/bugmenot works at the moment.) It's easier than you might expect.
  • edited November 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I have problems with meditation reducing circulation to my urogenital region, too. To mitigate it, I sit on a bench, on an arrangement of cloths which probably makes it look like I have hemorrhoids. :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

It's also nice to see that this isn't entirely uncommon. Seriously, we should have a thread devoted to meditation injury stories.
    edited November 2010
    Any activity you engage in for hours on a daily basis is going to pose some risk of injury, I guess.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This month its been dedicated to try other techniques, so usually dont go longer than 50 minutes. Luckily i have some little guest house thats gives me right conditions to meditate..
  • edited November 2010
    On a typical day, zero.
    It's sad, I know.
    Unless I'm doing it in a group, I really don't like doing it where other people will see me. My lunch break would be a good time, but since the lunchroom is right outside my office, I'd either have an audience or I would have to close the door, which would look a tad suspicious.
    My wife is usually at home when I am, and I even feel awkward meditating in front of her.

On days that I do manage to meditate on my own, I typically only do 15 minutes max before I give up from boredom or discomfort.
  • edited November 2010
    20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes at night sitting meditation. Sometimes I do a little bit of standing meditation before sitting at night. Try to do walking meditation everytime I need to walk outside to some where.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I do about 30 min a day.
    However, I am trying to add little by little.
    I also have been trying Standing Meditation, but I think I like sitting/laying meditation better.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The less I do the more time I have for meditation. However, things seem to be moving in the opposite direction so I've had to grab meditation where I can. I get to drive to/from work for 3/4-1 hours each way. I find this time a powerful time for meditation. I also do martial arts, I haven't to date had a lot of success combining meditation and martial arts movement though I think that this will improve over time. I also like to meditate when sitting on the "throne" in the bathroom (for both #1 and #2). I also used to meditate on the train when I caught one, my style of meditation involves having the eyes open and looking straight ahead, so it involved a little bit of strategic positioning not to freak other travellers out. Reading buddhist texts and commentaries can be quite meditative. If you have practised a reasonable amount of meditation then any time you breath you can elect to meditate on that breath, this is great for coping with our corporate world and the stresses involved. One slow, deep, focused, relaxed outward breath and you have found meditative stability in a crazy world.

In addition to these unofficial meditation times, where time permits I meditate one hour in the evenings. As to the "depth" of meditation, don't worry about that, its not really the purpose of meditation, meditation is all about familiarisation and "depth" will come over time with consistent practise and development of positive habits. Anything that helps a good self image / positive internal outlook will have a beneficial effect on meditation. Positive karma will also influence external conditions that you face and this will help with meditation as well.

Cheers, WK
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    When I am off work I do a morning puja; light incense, and candles as offerings and chant a morning chant (http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/media/#chanting). I then sit for maybe 1 hour at my creek. I try to read at least 1 hour a day, the material being Buddhist books or suttas. In the evening I do an evening chant from the same monestary and again go down to my creek at night and meditate for another hour. Now during my 3 day work week, I work 12 hour shifts and have a total of a 2 hour drive to and from work. I am usually very tired. I will try to manage anywhere from 1/2 an hour to an hour of sitting after work. In the morning on my workdays I am making an effort to get up a little earlier so I can sit a little before the day starts.
    With Metta,
    Todd
  • edited November 2010
    My tantric practice - an abbreviated (15-20 minutes) sadhana that I am committed to perform twice a day - includes a short but important meditation section. So, I guess you can say I meditate twice: first during the day (I try my best to do it upon arising), then right before I go to bed.
  • edited November 2010
    GO
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I haven't done sitting meditation in awhile but for the past month I do walking meditation when I wake up in the morning. The reason I am doing this is because I am feeling more inspired and alive during the walking meditation. When I get around to it I need to find some antidotes to dullness and anticipatory anxiety around the sitting.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Nature Lover,

What about going somewhere else to meditate. In the summer a park. In winter a library doing sitting in a chair meditation. The second you would need to be somewhat near a city. The first if your in the countryside its all a park!
  • edited November 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Nature Lover,

In winter a library doing sitting in a chair meditation.
    Good suggestion. I live near a library, and when the weather is bad, I can get a ride ther.
  • edited November 2010
    Sometimes I'll get 5 minutes when I can meditate. It calms and centers me, but it's different from sitting for 45 minutes to an hour. The longer periods seem to have a depth to them that the short ones lack.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010
    any duration is better than no duration. :-)
  • edited November 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I haven't done sitting meditation in awhile but for the past month I do walking meditation when I wake up in the morning. The reason I am doing this is because I am feeling more inspired and alive during the walking meditation. When I get around to it I need to find some antidotes to dullness and anticipatory anxiety around the sitting.

How exactly does walking meditation work? You are mindful of each step? Or the breath? Or what you look at? Do you stay focused on anyone element or what?

I like the idea, but I gotta say it will be difficult finding somewhere around where I live, where I can walk without having to dodge cars and people. We don't have parks around here....
  • edited November 2010
    I'm curious if people generally meditate once a day or more than that. How long do your sessions last?

I've got an awkward situation because I live in a 1 bedroom apt, and there's really no place where I can't hear the dog. If I crate her she cries. If I don't she barks at noises in the hall. I try to pick times when I think she'll sleep for a while but that's sort of hit or miss. I even tried using the community room which worked the first time. But this afternoon someone came in and wanted to watch TV. Basically I'm lucky if I can find 45 uninterrupted minutes/day.

Sometimes I can grab short stretches of time outdoors or on the train when I go into town. But I don't feel I get deeply into it with those short times.

Some people seem against it, but I used earplugs and just go in the restroom, and ask everyone around to leave me alone until I come out. My sessions are short compared to many others, around 15 minutes on average.
  • edited November 2010
    I would say that there is around 1-2 hours per day that I'm NOT meditating. Those are usually moments where I've let my mind wander off and do it's own thing. It's own thing usually being a negative barrage of thoughts and misconceptions.
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited December 2010
    30-45 minutes a day, once a day. During weekdays, mostly while driving to/from work. On the weekends mostly in the bedroom. When I'm traveling, I'll try to find an opportunity outdoors.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Pretty much every morning I chant a sutra, Either Juseige, Shoshinge, Amida Kyo, or in English the Heart Sutra.
    Chanting is preceded and followed by a few moments of Nembutsu recitation.

Some days I will also practice meditation, mindful breathing, mentally reciting the Nembutsu with each inhalation and each exhalation.
    Usually I do this for 10 - 15 minutes.

Sometimes I also chant and/or meditate in the evening.

Throughout the day on many many occasions I will recite Nembutsu quietly or mentally.
    Often this is rather spontaneous and always as an expression of gratitude, not an attempt to achieve anything.
  • edited January 2011
    you know..im starting to think that no-one's getting meditation..
  • [quote=fivebells;144504]I have problems with meditation reducing circulation to my urogenital region, too. To mitigate it, I sit on a bench, on an arrangement of cloths which probably makes it look like I have hemorrhoids. :)[/quote]

It's also nice to see that this isn't entirely uncommon.
    What posture were you guys taking? Where on the zafu was your urogenital region? The edge?

Seriously, we should have a thread devoted to meditation injury stories.
    Dude, start it. Please. You've got an attention-getting story. The thread will be well read, and it's on an important topic, so you'd be doing good for the community.

Unless I'm doing it in a group, I really don't like doing it where other people will see me.
    I know what you're talking about. I would feel too self-conscious being seen meditating by non-meditators.

There are some public places where I've gotten decent meditation, sometimes with the help of some "camoflage":

- in my car (parked), especially at night. Use the sun visor to give you some cover.

- in the library. Wear a hat with the brim low. Sit at one of those cubicle desks. Or face a window wearing earbuds and people will think you're just chilling and listening to something.

- in an empty, dark 24-hour fitness office cubicle.

- walking meditation in a parking lot in broad daylight. I held my cellphone to my ear, as if I were talking on the phone. (Pretty sad commentary on what is deemed 'normal.')

Also, maybe you could just tell your wife you want to meditate, and ask that she not come into the room for 30 minutes. That's not asking for much.

On days that I do manage to meditate on my own, I typically only do 15 minutes max before I give up from boredom or discomfort.
    Definitely find a comfortable position.

As for the boredom, I think you need to approach it from a different mindset because meditation is fascinating! Try checking out the Introduction to Meditation series on zencast.

http://www.zencast.org/category/Introduction to Meditation
  • When I am off work I do a morning puja; light incense, and candles as offerings and chant a morning chant ([URL]http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/media/#chanting[/URL]). I then sit for maybe 1 hour at my creek. I try to read at least 1 hour a day, the material being Buddhist books or suttas. In the evening I do an evening chant from the same monestary and again go down to my creek at night and meditate for another hour. Now during my 3 day work week, I work 12 hour shifts and have a total of a 2 hour drive to and from work. I am usually very tired. I will try to manage anywhere from 1/2 an hour to an hour of sitting after work. In the morning on my workdays I am making an effort to get up a little earlier so I can sit a little before the day starts.
    With Metta,
    Todd
    Thanks for providing that link, it's great encouragement to start a daily routine. I like how it provides a chant book PDF as well.

Currently I've been on the decline in Meditation. A few months ago I was meditating daily, but did it less and less. I plan for 2011 to be prosperous and rich in practice.

Metta
    Robin
  • Hands up those tempted to lie in answer to this question ;)