Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Favorite Buddha Sayings and Sutras?

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
What is your favorite saying of the Buddha or Sutra?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    The Simpsapa sutta, is one of my favourites.
    It teaches me we cannot know all things for all times, and a little ignorance is ok.

The favourite saying is the one in my signature (First two verses of the Dhammapada).
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    "Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58). Thanissaro translates this phrase as 'All phenomena are unworthy of attachment.'
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I read the Diamond and Heart Sutras regularly. Currently I am rereading the Astasahasrika Pranjnaparamita (8000 Lines of the Perfection of Wisdom).
  • edited November 2010
    Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
    The Platform Sutra
    8 Realisations of a Bodhisattva
    Meritorious Virtuous and Original Vows of Medicine Buddha of Pure Crystal Radiance
  • edited November 2010
    My favorite sutras are the diamond sutra and the heart sutra.

A few sayings from the dhammapada I like are...

"If, like a cracked gong, you silence yourself, you have already attained nibbana: no vindictiveness will be found in you."

"Rare is birth as a human being. Hard is the life of mortals. Hard it is to obtain the chance to listen to the dhamma. Rare is the apperance of the Buddhas."

"Victory breeds hatred. The defeated live in pain. Happily the peaceful live, giving up victory and defeat."
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The Fire Sermon.

Powerful.

Sorry, if that's the wrong answer. OK to mention stuff from Buddhism 101 here?
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    The Fire Sermon.

Powerful.

Sorry, if that's the wrong answer. OK to mention stuff from Buddhism 101 here?

There are no wrong answers:D
  • edited November 2010
    Indeed!
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    For me it's the heart sutra's "观自在菩萨" = To watch oneself and be...
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The sutra where he compares his teaching to a raft.