Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Meditation Research: Putting the 'Om' in 'Chromosome'

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
The Shambhala Mountain Center sits nestled among the remote lakes and pastures of Colorado's Rocky Mountains, where for four decades it has offered instruction and retreat to serious students of meditation and yoga. Starting in February 2007, it became a scientific laboratory as well. The center began hosting the Shamatha Project, one of the most rigorous scientific examinations of meditation's effects ever undertaken. The Project is now beginning to yield its insights, and from early reports it appears that this ancient practice delivers benefits that go all the way down to the chromosomal level.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wray-herbert/meditation-research_b_780525.html

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/21/6/829.abstract

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Very cool; thanks, Leon.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Welcome Compassionate_Warrior!:)
  • edited November 2010
    Did you notice? There are actually 2 "oms" in Chromosome. ;)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Do you stay on top of this type of research, Leon? If so, pls keep us posted. I love this kind of stuff. I think it's important to research these phenomena. Western science, especially in the US, has been so close-minded toward this kind of thing, until recently. I'd like to see someone research the energetic aspects of Kundalini/Inner Fire/Tummo; I bet there are electromagnetic energy surges when people are on Tummo/etc. Hmm...maybe this belongs on the Tummo thread.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    Do you stay on top of this type of research, Leon? If so, pls keep us posted. I love this kind of stuff. I think it's important to research these phenomena. Western science, especially in the US, has been so close-minded toward this kind of thing, until recently. I'd like to see someone research the energetic aspects of Kundalini/Inner Fire/Tummo; I bet there are electromagnetic energy surges when people are on Tummo/etc. Hmm...maybe this belongs on the Tummo thread.

I do and I don't.
    I am studying Psychology, I suppose it goes hand and hand.
    I will try to post other meditation research here:)
    Thanks for reading!