Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Local Sanghas

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited December 2010 in Sanghas
I've been trying to look for a local group of Buddhist practitioners with whom to study meditation techniques and discuss dharma. I live in Kalamazoo, MI (that's the southwest part of the state) and according to online sangha directories there should be a local group that meets out of a massage therapy clinic nearby, but none of the current contacts is responding by email. I specifically was hoping to meet with this group because it is affiliated with Thich Naht Han's Order of Interbeing.

There is a Zen temple in Ann Arbor, about 2 hours drive from me, but there is no way my vehicle would make it that far.

I'm thinking that it might be karma that finally brings me closer to a group of regular practitioners with whom I may share my faith. Is it common for American Buddhists to be without a local organized Sangha?

At least this site has strong community base.

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hi Talisman

Sorry about the situation, persevere and don't hesitate to set up a formal sitting place at home.

Best,
    Abu
  • edited November 2010
    It does look like you're in a bit of a dry spot.
    Have you checked out this site: http://sokukoji.org/
    It's closer, and hopefully this isn't the place that isn't returning your emails.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Valekhai wrote: »
    It does look like you're in a bit of a dry spot.
    Have you checked out this site: http://sokukoji.org/
    It's closer, and hopefully this isn't the place that isn't returning your emails.

This one could be promising. Battle Creek is about half as far as Ann Arbor. Thanks for the link.
  • edited November 2010
    Talisman wrote: »
    This one could be promising. Battle Creek is about half as far as Ann Arbor. Thanks for the link.
    Don't thank me, thank Google Maps :D

Best of luck in your searching.
  • edited November 2010
    2 monks were walking through a field. One of the monks turns to the other and says where shall we build our temple? the other monk picks up a blade of grass and sticks it back into the ground, "this is our temple".

zencast.org is a good podcast that discusses the dharma and meditation techniques.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    In the Theravada/Pali Canon tradition, you will find an excellent online sangha through this forum's Bhikkhu Samahita - the Saddhamma Sangha found here: http://what-buddha-said.net/index.htm
  • edited November 2010
    Start a sitting group! I ran into the same issue and started a sitting group and as it turns out there were others in the area who were also looking. Someone just had to make the first move.

Metta,
    Tom
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited November 2010
    tbradnc wrote: »
    Start a sitting group! I ran into the same issue and started a sitting group and as it turns out there were others in the area who were also looking. Someone just had to make the first move.

Metta,
    Tom

A sitting group? What do you mean?
  • edited November 2010
    By sitting group I mean a group of people to practice meditation with regularly.

I first tried to start a Vipassana group but quickly found that too limiting as most people do not know what it is. The need to sit with others was so strong that I changed it to just "meditation" and I received a lot of inquires and the group got off to a good start.

The only requirement was that the meditation was silent (no mantras) - so we had quite an mix of people - Christian and Buddhists of different schools and some people from 12 step groups.

It is a beginning, and it worked for me. I should add that after a little over a year the group quit meeting for various reasons but during that year a few of us started a study group that continues meeting weekly to this day - 3 years later.

The point being, there may be others like yourself who are looking for a place and others to meditate with.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Talisman wrote: »
    I've been trying to look for a local group of Buddhist practitioners with whom to study meditation techniques and discuss dharma. I live in Kalamazoo, MI (that's the southwest part of the state) and according to online sangha directories there should be a local group that meets out of a massage therapy clinic nearby, but none of the current contacts is responding by email. I specifically was hoping to meet with this group because it is affiliated with Thich Naht Han's Order of Interbeing.

There is a Zen temple in Ann Arbor, about 2 hours drive from me, but there is no way my vehicle would make it that far.

I'm thinking that it might be karma that finally brings me closer to a group of regular practitioners with whom I may share my faith. Is it common for American Buddhists to be without a local organized Sangha?

At least this site has strong community base.

Please don't limit your options to whichever school of Buddhism you are more familiar with. All schools will take you to Nirvana, and you can benefit from contact with any of them.

As for a preferred dharma center being too far away to go to regularly, many of these centers occasionally offer a weekend or week-long retreat, and you could go there as your holiday (take Greyhound if your car is unreliable!).

There is not substitute for a live in-the-flesh sangha. There are many more misunderstandings when there is not a live teacher to observe, to ask questions of, to correct our misunderstandings. Do yourself a favor and find a sangha, even if it is just once or twice a year.

• As mentioned above, start your own group. It can center around both sitting, reading passages, and discussion. If you're willing to drop some cash upfront, you can start a Meetup.com group for $19.99 (or less if you commit for a longer period). Of course, you should probably first check meetup to see if there isn't already one. I found two groups in my area through meetup.

Another alternative is craigslist, but I don't think that you'd get as many hits as meetup.
  • Don't know how far away this is from you:

Awakened Mind Meditation Center

Address: 3628 N Westnedge, Kalamazoo, MI 49004 MI
    Tradition: Non-Sectarian
    Phone: (269) 344-1370
    E-mail: davidlgreeley@mei.net
    Find on:
    Teachers: Huyente, Thai Tue

Found it at Buddhanet.net: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/province.php?province_id=43

Also, if you like online teachings, just youtube Ajahn Brahm. He has many teachings on various topics.

I wish you all the best!
  • Yea, it's a shame but that facility is now closed. Most of the information on buddhanet and michiganbuddhist is extremely out-of-date. I haven't received a response from any of the practitioners listed. Honestly, I think that my best bet would be to try to contact the sangha in ann arbor and see about a possible retreat. For now, I will continue my studies and living my life simply and with mindfulness and loving-kindness.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You're not alone, I live not too far from you in Rochester, Indiana. I've even been to Kalamazoo a number of times and lived all around northern Indiana and southern Michigan. I have no options for a sangha either really. I think there may be some small things in South Bend, that's it and I have no vehicle even if I settled with that. My only real opinion for something grand is Chicago, maybe this is similar to Detroit for you.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Battle Creek is about half as far as Ann Arbor.
    Oh come now... You can be in Battle Creek inside of 20 minutes from Kalamazoo! I *wish* I had one that close :) I grew up in Plainwell... Lake Woebegone if it ever really existed!

Sorry to hear that community shut down. My only choices in Roanoke, Virginia are an NKT center (no thanks) and a Zendo, which is a little intense for me right now. Plus it's all the way on the other side of town.

Maybe we all need to go out and recruit new Buddhists. Evangelical Buddhism - I like it! :)

• Maybe we all need to go out and recruit new Buddhists. Evangelical Buddhism - I like it! :)
    This is worthy of it's own thread. There's a Buddhist tradition of not proselytizing, which has good and bad sides.
  • I believe I know of a buddhist group in your neck of the woods. Western Michigan University is in Kalamazoo right? I have old emails I have the contact info and I know it is further west than Grand Rapids where I live. If you are interested please PM me. I don't want to give out their info just in a post but you could ask me. Jus' lemme know.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    I belong to a Dharma Group that owns it's own house and supports a resident teacher, a monk assigned to us from the Dalai Lama's monastery. We have an active membership that is able to support it all through fundraising endeavours.

And it all started out when two people got together after a general-interest non-credit course about religions, and said to each other "I'd like to learn more about Buddhism".

That was 20 years ago, and this spring, the house is being torn down to make way for a new temple which will be large enough to accommodate everyone who comes for lessons and pujas.