Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can you control your rebirth?

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
I'm confused by people who think that rebirth is somehow under their control and who honestly think they can become a Samyaksambuddha. Since to be reborn you have to really ignore Buddha's teachings. To get a better understanding of what I mean, here's a chart:

pathway.png

Now a reminder, an Arahant cannot return to Samsara, a once-returner returns to Samsara one more time before becoming an Arahant or a Pratyekabuddha (if insight is acquired and enlightenment is acheived without the help of the Dharma teachings) , a non-returner is born one more time in a pure abode, and then returns as a human and is reborn and becomes an Arahant, or a Pratyekabuddha, a stream-enterer is born only 7 more times as a human or in a heaven. So unless someone willfully chooses not to sever the fetters that bind them, they're stuck in Samsara and cannot choose to become a Samyaksambuddha or even a Pratyekabuddha because the Dharma is already revealed.

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I am trying to imagine how the individuals who created that chart got their information if they had not transcended samsara. How do you see it?
  • edited November 2010
    You can't totaly control your rebirth, but if you live a life that is compassionate and you do good deeds, that will help to give you a higher rebirth.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    How many angels can stand on the head of a pin?
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Control? Karma says no............
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    How many angels can stand on the head of a pin?

According to Dr. Phil Schewe from the American Institute of Physics, 10 to the 25th power angels can fit on the head of a pin; although, I've also read that since angels are not spatial, there is an infinite number that could occupy any one point in space.
    edited November 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    According to Dr. Phil Schewe from the American Institute of Physics, 10 to the 25th power angels can fit on the head of a pin; although, I've also read that since angels are not spatial, there is an infinite number that could occupy any one point in space.
    Interesting. But what if the pin were in the seventh sphere of hell where everything is frozen and icy, surely there angels would have a spatial aspect, and since it is cold the atoms of the pin will have contracted, how many then?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    Interesting. But what if the pin were in the seventh sphere of hell where everything is frozen and icy, surely there angels would have a spatial aspect, and since it is cold the atoms of the pin will have contracted, how many then?

Oh, now you're just being cheeky. :D
  • edited November 2010
    If we focus on this life, and study the Buddha's core teachings, and we meditate and practice present moment awareness and mindfulness, we really don't need to speculate about past and future lives.
    “Rebirth,” like “reincarnation,” is a term that’s used generally referring to having gone through a series of different lives, and then there are various views about whether once you get reincarnated into human form where you can go, become a frog again or something like that. I was teaching a retreat in Australia at the Theosophical Society, where people’s views were split. Some held that once you made it to the human level you can’t slide back into a lesser animal one, whereas others insisted that you could. But the truth of the matter is, nobody really knows
    The historical Buddha refered to previous lives in the scriptures and things like this, but for me these things are speculative. Maybe you can remember previous lives, but I have no such memory. So all I know is from the here and now. We’re talking about direct knowing rather than Buddhist theory or Buddhist doctrine.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    When Ajahn Chah taught about rebirth, he did so in the context of paticcasumappada, or dependent origination. He was talking about the kind of rebirth you can actually witness in daily life; birth is the beginning, death is the ending. How many rebirths have you gone through today, mentally ? What is born dies; what arises, ceases. Rebirth in this sense is actually provable.<O:p</O:p
    In the paticcasamuppada, through desire (tanha) comes attachment (upadana), and then attachment leads to becoming (bhava), becoming leads to rebirth, and rebirth leads to suffering. Jati (birth) is the result of grasping desire. I quite like the idea of reincarnation and rebirth, on a theoretical level. I’ve no bias against it, but it is speculative and it’s conceptual.”

The Sound of Silence - Ajahn Sumedho

• edited November 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Oh, now you're just being cheeky. :D

But that was awesome! :lol:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Can you control the spray of a hose?

According to the Mahayana a buddha is liberated from both samsara and nirvana. And according to the Mahayana the buddhas and bodhisattvas call to us from the side of the mandala of awakening. They also manifest. In all 3 kayas.
  • edited November 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    According to the Mahayana a buddha is liberated from both samsara and nirvana. And according to the Mahayana the buddhas and bodhisattvas call to us from the side of the mandala of awakening. They also manifest. In all 3 kayas.

You can't be liberated from liberation. That's contradictory and back to the prison for yooou! :lol:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    no you go back to the coal and ashes. You go back into the poison ivy to help those who are in it and can't escape. Realizing that suffering is empty you experience it as sensitivity. prajna balanced with faith.

A lot easier said than done. We can't even bare an itch hehe.
  • edited November 2010
    no you go back to the coal and ashes. You go back into the poison ivy to help those who are in it and can't escape. Realizing that suffering is empty you experience it as sensitivity. prajna balanced with faith.

It cannot be done methinks. You either become liberated or you delay it. If you delay it you do not experience it.
    A lot easier said than done. We can't even bare an itch hehe.

Not really if you take into perspective what one has to do to stay in Samsara... To be liberated takes effort and will to change, and to be trapped just means perpetuating the same problems. It's like the doctor metaphor I have used once before.

Metaphor:
    =====

Imagine the whole world is sick and afflicted by a mysterious illness, and a doctor discovers a cure and offers it to everyone in the world. A wise person would take the medicine and be cured and help others by becoming a nurse and distributing the medicine around the world.

Now imagine a different situation the whole world is sick and afflicted by a mysterious illness, and a doctor discovers a cure and offers it to everyone in the world. Instead of taking the medicine, a person declares to the doctor "I want to be the doctor that cures everyone, and until myself and everyone else are doctors I refuse to take that medicine and be well."

Which causes more long term suffering?
  • edited November 2010
    In the fullest formulation of Mahayana, Nirvana is still a kind of conceptual fixation. Hence while we can say that it liberates one from suffering, it lacks the full scope of enlightenment which is defined as beyond both samsara and nirvana. These two terms only have meaning in relation to one another. This is not to downplay nirvana. Those that achieve it are tremendously holy beings who are a great blessing to all who are interdependently connected to them.

To use the medicine analogy, yes nirvana is held out as the cure to suffering but it is not the natural healthy state. Bodhisattvas do take the medicine of the Dharma and achieve the stages and paths, helping all that are connected with them. Were they to say "No thanks, I want to remain confused so that I can help others" then your illustration would be true.

I agree with Dazzle: Past and future lives are really a distraction beyond the possibility of enduring countless more lives of confusion without really practicing in this life. If one hasn't fully investigated one's own mind right now, it is merely presumptuous to think about other lives.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Imagine the whole world is sick and afflicted by a mysterious illness, and a doctor discovers a cure and offers it to everyone in the world. A wise person would take the medicine and be cured and help others by becoming a nurse and distributing the medicine around the world.

Now imagine a different situation the whole world is sick and afflicted by a mysterious illness, and a doctor discovers a cure and offers it to everyone in the world. Instead of taking the medicine, a person declares to the doctor "I want to be the doctor that cures everyone, and until myself and everyone else are doctors I refuse to take that medicine and be well."

Which causes more long term suffering?

The bodhisattva path overcomes attachment to self among others. By stopping cherishing the self.

So the analogy does not fit the case as the bodhisattva is making a bee line for enlightenment. Tantra even more so and a bit risky.
  • edited November 2010
    karmadorje wrote: »
    In the fullest formulation of Mahayana, Nirvana is still a kind of conceptual fixation. Hence while we can say that it liberates one from suffering, it lacks the full scope of enlightenment which is defined as beyond both samsara and nirvana.

There is no beyond liberation and non-liberation. It's an axiom that has an excluded middle. You are either enlightened or you are not, because an enlightened person can suffer no longer.
    These two terms only have meaning in relation to one another. This is not to downplay nirvana. Those that achieve it are tremendously holy beings who are a great blessing to all who are interdependently connected to them.

Praise to the Buddha Shakyamuni, praise to the Dharma, praise to my brothers and sisters in the Sangha.
    To use the medicine analogy, yes nirvana is held out as the cure to suffering but it is not the natural healthy state.

????????????? :confused::confused::skeptical
    Bodhisattvas do take the medicine of the Dharma and achieve the stages and paths, helping all that are connected with them.

A "Boddhisattva" is supposed to be a "Samyaksambuddha", and upon hearing the Dharma from the Buddha they can no longer be a Samyaksambuddha. In that case they can only become an Arahant or Śrāvakabuddha then. As I said someone who takes the medicine cannot become a Doctor, but a nurse. They cannot recieve the cure and become a doctor. They can only refuse the cure and become doctors or take the cure and become a nurse.
    Were they to say "No thanks, I want to remain confused so that I can help others" then your illustration would be true.

But that is exactly what happens. If you cut the fetters tying you to Samsara using the Buddha's teachings, you do not become a Samyaksambuddha. You automatically become a Śrāvakabuddha.
    I agree with Dazzle: Past and future lives are really a distraction beyond the possibility of enduring countless more lives of confusion without really practicing in this life. If one hasn't fully investigated one's own mind right now, it is merely presumptuous to think about other lives.

True indeed.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This is another point where words are futile between us. In the tibetan tradition in each atom there are an infinite number of buddhas. According to the samantabadhracharya. http://dhurudhuru.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-post_2605.html

My teacher says that reciting the samantrabadracharya awakens karma to be born again in a world the buddha has touched. Of course the buddha permeates everywhere so that isn't saying too much haha! At least it seems.
  • edited November 2010
    This is another point where words are futile between us. In the tibetan tradition in each atom there are an infinite number of buddhas. According to the samantabadhracharya. http://dhurudhuru.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-post_2605.html

My teacher says that reciting the samantrabadracharya awakens karma to be born again in a world the buddha has touched. Of course the buddha permeates everywhere so that isn't saying too much haha! At least it seems.

:lol: Oh dear, so how does this relate to how someone can control his or her own rebirth?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    You can become a doctor too. Like padmasambava and milarepa
  • edited November 2010
    You can become a doctor too. Like padmasambava and milarepa

But how can you do that if you are a no-returner, a once returner or an Arahant? Maybe a stream-enterer has a chance if rebirth happened in the pure abodes for a long long time giving the Dharma time to no longer be present on Earth or another planet, but in this lifetime it is impossible because there can be only one Samyaksambuddha until the decline of the Dharma to the point where it is no longer in the world.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That is because the mahayana and therevada have different beliefs about this matter :)

How many buddhas and arahants do you know personally and how are you certain that teachers and scripture is correct? Not to dislodge you from faith in your tradition because I feel it can draw you to some good people and ideas. However I am pointing out there is little that I have realized personally regarding buddhas.

I had this question. The dharma is the buddhists teaching and we see that. The sangha are the students. But what does it mean to take refuge in buddha?
  • edited November 2010
    That is because the mahayana and therevada have different beliefs about this matter :)

About how Nirvana works or how Samsara works, or how either works, just so I'm sure?
    How many buddhas and arahants do you know personally and how are you certain that teachers and scripture is correct?

I don't believe any teachers or scriptures unless they conform to the experiences I have in reality. :o It's a part of understanding how they deconstruct one's perspective.
    Not to dislodge you from faith in your tradition because I feel it can draw you to some good people and ideas.

All my beliefs are tentatively held. I have learned personally not to learn from teachers or scriptures, rather than my own personal practice.
    However I am pointing out there is little that I have realized personally regarding buddhas.

Imagine a wooden man. you draw a single pencil dot on his forehead, and that is the whole I knew of Buddhas, before I undertook personal investigation without a teacher. now take the head and paint it red, and that is what I learned when I made the sutras my teacher.
    I had this question. The dharma is the buddhists teaching and we see that. The sangha are the students. But what does it mean to take refuge in buddha?

To have faith that the Dharma that the Buddha taught us was truthful. This is a very good set of questions.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    About how Nirvana works or how Samsara works, or how either works, just so I'm sure?
    Yes. All down the line meanings of words are defined differently. I suggest penetrating the truth of the theravada to avoid the confusion. And then once you are there it will be easy to see what the mahayana is doing.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes. All down the line meanings of words are defined differently. I suggest penetrating the truth of the theravada to avoid the confusion. And then once you are there it will be easy to see what the mahayana is doing.

I have a good idea of what Theravada teaches, but I can't say the same for how Mahayana is taught in relation to what is taught in Theravada. What am I confounding?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I don't know maybe the advice doesn't apply to this situation. I am remebering my teacher saying this when I was confused about rangtong and shentong. She said to study one and then you get a perspective on what the other is doing.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't know maybe the advice doesn't apply to this situation. I am remebering my teacher saying this when I was confused about rangtong and shentong. She said to study one and then you get a perspective on what the other is doing.

That's because they are really just pedagogical devices. When one clings to apparent phenomena, rangtong is taught. When one clings to emptiness, shentong is taught. The reality underlying all conceptual viewpoints is neither rangtong or shentong.
    edited November 2010
    This is really beating the burning bush with a fragrant snake.

Fact is, assuming there are such things as once-returners and stream-enterers, you can't know which you are, and no-one else can tell you which you are either. So, you may as well practice as though you were already an arahant - this life is precious, assume it's your last.
  • All these rebirths and levels are confusing.
  • According to Dr. Phil Schewe from the American Institute of Physics, 10 to the 25th power angels can fit on the head of a pin; although, I've also read that since angels are not spatial, there is an infinite number that could occupy any one point in space.
    Proving that just because you have "Dr." in front of your name you're not automatically smart... How big is the head of the pin doc? If you double the size of the pin head (you pin head), wouldn't you double the number of angels that could potentially dance on it? HA! Ran circles round you in logic!
  • Rebirth can be *controlled* as easily as following the 5 precepts.

Constant debate will probably not give anyone a good rebirth.

Following the 5 precepts is unforunetly not easy.

I heard Bodhisattvas and Arhant can control the actual rebirth upon certain levels of spritual enlightenment. But I don't believe thats relevant to most of us on here. Otherwise, we wouldn't be on this forum.
  • edited December 2010
    Isn't the entire purpose behind the Tibetan Book of the Dead (aka the Book of Liberation) to provide the student with the means to control his rebirth? A sufficiently advanced practitioner, using Tantric practices gleaned from the BotD, is said to be capable of launching herself into Buddhahood while in the Bardo (in-between) state. A less advanced practitioner could, at the very least, launch herself into certain "womb-doors" that lead to rebirths most conducive to the attainment of Buddhahood.

• There can't be "your rebirth" without "you", and so one must understand Anatta/Anatman first. Otherwise the question is the same as the koan "Does a dog have Buddha-Nature?"... ill-conceived.
  • The Buddha said in the sutras that there are those who will understand the Path through wisdom, and those who understand the Path through faith. I primarily see that as the distinction between Theravada and Mahayana, respectively. The point of Buddhism is to avoid rebirth, therefore, concern over the destination of your rebirth is bad kamma in and of itself, by clinging to feelings regarding material existence. Therefore concern over the destination of rebirth actually would be detrimental to achieving a good rebirth. As others have said, one should concentrate on cessation in this life here and now if one wants to achieve enlightenment.

As a (newly minted with perhaps limited understanding) Theavada buddhist, I really get the feeling a lot of people put a lot of faith in unfounded superstitions espoused by teachers, instead of reading the Dhamma as expounded in the sutras. As others have said in this thread, it is through personal experience and understanding that one should learn the Dhamma. These are the words of the Buddha. One cannot achieve wisdom through adherence to teachers and unreasoned faith without personal understanding.
  • This is true, Whiter, how noble of you to say. I think the person who spoke in the beginning, alongside the chart, is being unclear. A stream-enterer usually has no more than seven rebirths before they attain Nibbana. Once-returners are reborn once more in the human realm and attain Nibbana. The non-returners are reborn in the Suddhavasa planes, or the Pure Abodes, where they remain and attain Nibbana, and eventually pass away. The Arahants are those beings at the end of this course who attain Nibbana in that life, whether human or brahman in the Suddhavasa planes.
    And, you cannot control your rebirth, you can only make certain kinds of kamma. There are four kinds; bad, good, bad-and-good, neither-bad-nor-good. If the predominant kamma in the last consciousness of death is bad, then you are destined to the woeful planes (Niraya- hell, Tiracchana- animals, Pettivisaya- hungry ghosts, Asurayoni- demons). Good kamma leads you to the sensual heavens (six). Predominantly bad-and-good kamma leads to the human plane yet again, but through kammic equilibrium you may experience very good or very bad conditions throughout life. Neither-bad-nor-good kamma leads to the cessation of kamma, or Nibbana, which would mean one of the four stages of Enlightenment (above).
    To attain the Form planes one must make achievements in the four jhanas (simplified). To attain the Formless (immaterial) planes one must make achievements in the four formless jhanas (simplified, beings here live for unfathomably long--but defined--periods, and pass away into lower planes upon the depletion of this meditative merit.
  • edited December 2010
    Sammasambuddhas attain Full Enlightenment on their own, after the long path of Bodhisattahood which takes many, many, many world-cycles.
    Paccekabuddhas attain Nibbana on their own, but are not Fully Enlightened and do not teach the Dhamma.
    Arahants (which are referred to in the commentaries only as Savakabuddhas) are beings who attain Nibbana through hearing the Dhamma from a Buddha, or disciples.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Better to practice, than to speak or cling to knowledge that has not arisen to our own minds. After all, who could possibly control rebirth that has not awakened? :) Focus upon liberation, then worry about afterlives (if you still worry).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    White,

That is interesting and stinging how the Mahayana seems to you. Wisdom in mahayana is seeing and noticing the 8 worldly dharmas and seeing that they are unrewarding. To stop looking in the wrong places. The guru in watching them. Rather than reading sutras. The guru is buddha (from a vajrayana realization) Freed from the 8 worldly dharmas and bodhicitta to wait for all beings to awaken their heart. Bodhicitta is said to be the only fire that when it goes out it scatters its ashes to the winds in compassion. Perhaps like a hologram. No. Non-conceptual awareness free of stain. The guru is the dharma and the sangha embodying the realization that suffering is illusory, but still connect to all beings and go into the suffering with a brave tender heart.

I hope my miserly and miserable stupidity will plant seeds of awakening in all beings.
  • Doing good deeds, even if not selfless, will accumilate and hopefully will get you a better rebirth. Better start sooner than later.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited December 2010
    "How can you control your rebirth?"

by accessing the 8th conciousness... done when { } was an un-"enlightened" bodhisattva (in { } past life)
  • Learn Dependent Origination (paticca-samuppada) with the help of teachers and scripturs

Try to analyse each terms of paticca-samuppada in your own capacity

Try to understand paticca-samuppada with your own experiences

(paticca-samuppada happens within split seconds each and every time we experience anything, but at the beginning we can slow down our experience and analyse the experience according to paticca-samuppada)

Ex: you hear something (within a split second paticca-samuppada activated and you re-linking consciousness caught up with form or perception or feeling or sankhara)
    at the beginning you can forget that process and take your hearing and put that hearing experience into the total 12 links and see how it works
    likewise take another experience and try to put it into the 12 links and try to understand it

by degrees you will learn (not know but learn better) what is Dependent Origination

once you have learnt the links in your own terms then you can put it into practice

oneday you will know what Dependent Origination means exactly

then begins the actual practise and getting control of re-birth

until then Do Good that will help to have a comfortable life for your practice

• 12 steps in 1 breath? pratitya samutpada
    breath can last longer than ~3 seconds; usually equals a heart beat.
    7/8 = 3/8 air in, 1/8 rest, 3/8 air out.
    anapanasati... maybe jhåna required.
    bodhisattva vows expedits the process.
  • do not mix up with the time we know when we try to understand Dhamma Teaching

what we are trying at the beginning is to understand how paticca samuppada works with our experiences
    so we have to slow down our experiences (take one experience at a time and analyse it and let go of all other experiencs we get after the one we are trying to analyse)

for ex:
    we hear something
    because of our ignorance (link 1)
    we think it is a dog barking (link 2)
    because of that we think there is a dog (link 3)
    because of that we think the dog is a tangible thing -RUPA (apo, thejo, vayo, patavi)and there is feeling, perception etc,-NAMA (link 4)
    because of that there is six sense bases (link 5)

etc. etc.

when you are analysing the 'hearing you got' there is no time for any other experience to happens (you are at vipassana)

before begins this type of analysis you have to get clear understanding of what is ignorance, what is kamma formation (sankhara), what is vinnana (consciousness) etc.

hope this will help
  • apo, thejo, vayo, patavi? but rupa is fine...

hmm... born a srotapanna.
  • apo = water
    thejo = fire
    vayo = air
    patavi = earth

Rupa = form
  • hmmm... why there's only apo and thejo cyclic destructions? air feeds fire and earth is subdumed by water?

so that rupa, reforms...
  • your "ego" controls your rebirth. The reason there is "rebirth" and various lives(which are all really you), is because of your illusory ego and its manifold desires.
  • there's ego, there's "i", and there's anågami (and buddha) level understanding of anatta.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2011
    why there's only apo and thejo cyclic destructions? .
    it seems the discussion takes another turn

anyway, since you asked,

where there is too much hate, then there is apo (water) distruction
    where there is too much greed, then there is thejo (fire) distruction

as an advice, better stop taking this turn (relationship of Four Elements with the worldly experiences, cyclones, tsunami etc.) at the momenta

at a later stage you can turn to it and get the answers by yourself

best advice would be 'to concentrate on Five Aggregates, Dependent Origination, Six sense bases because they helps to get the Right View

Getting the Right View is the main and most important hurdle

• hmm... to resume:

this life : "born here"
    prior life : born in deva namanarati (pleione, pleadi)
    life before prior life : born in sermide, italia

destruction by apo (water) is my guess... in this era... if it will end... soon.
  • That is because the mahayana and therevada have different beliefs about this matter :)

How many buddhas and arahants do you know personally and how are you certain that teachers and scripture is correct? Not to dislodge you from faith in your tradition because I feel it can draw you to some good people and ideas. However I am pointing out there is little that I have realized personally regarding buddhas.
    My thoughts exactly. I practice Tibetan Buddhism and believe in the concept people have described of Bodhisattvas that can control their rebirth, for the sake of all sentient beings.

Since I have never knowingly met a Bodhisattva or a Buddha face-to-face, it has to be in the area of faith. Of course, it may be mistaken, but as it helps my practice tremendously, I am pretty confident in it.

Besides, ultimately all concepts are Empty. Tibetans build one raft to cross the river, Theraveda another.