Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

dealing with anger

jhol1007jhol1007 federica
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hi, I'm a new Buddhist and I'm practicing it from a philosophical angle. I try to follow the middle path and realize the four truths, as well as avoid the 5 hindrances, but its been kind of hard. I'm a high school student and I live with my Mom and Dad. I love my parents, and I always have, but, I'm really not trying to be mean at all, I'm just stating a fact: my mom isn't the smartest person and she has a very short fuse sometimes. This morning I was helping her with some things ( I won't bore you with what they were) and she ended up messing everything up, making the whole process take much longer. I told her in a forceful, but not angry, tone that she should be careful not to do it again. She overreacted greatly (I think) and became so offended/stressed/upset that she began crying. My dad then yelled at me and told me I had ruined the morning. I feel full of anger and rage, even though I know those are very bad feelings to have towards my parents. This sort of thing happens fairly frequently and I don't know how to deal with it. I was hoping there was something in Buddhist scriptures or some aspect of Buddhism that deals with this. Is there?

Thank you very much for your help,
James

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The aspect of Buddhism which deals with it is Buddhist meditation practice. If you're not meditating, you might as well be practicing Christianity.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.198.than.html

You'd think she'd be aware of the fact she screwed up, you pointing it out isn't very helpful.

People often over-react when they are stress, insecure, threatened, etc. Basically, she wasn't in the mood for your comment, perhaps a comforting comment may have been more appropriate than criticism.

You could still say it later, at a more fitting time, but that was definitely not the right time for it.

If you mum has a short fuse, then it's best to remain silent at times like that.