Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm a fundamentalist Buddhist! (apparently)

conradcookconradcook Veteran
edited December 2010 in Faith & Religion
Or so Mr. Alfred says (http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=145664#post145664).

Anyone else?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    As long as you're not a Buddhist extremist. I think it's still a couple of years before FOX invents that.

Anyway, what's the intent behind this thread? I don't understand.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm just looking for other "fundamentalist Buddhists" to compare notes with.

That is to say, people who think that considering whether a particular point is true isn't out of line. No intention here to condemn other approaches. I'm just looking to contact other fundies.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Makes sense. Thank you.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    There are lots of people who are members of NewBuddhist that would fit your definition of "fundamentalist" Buddhists, Conrad! It seems to me sometimes that they are a majority.

However, as Jason points out on another current thread, when we get bogged down in discussions about some particular aspects of our beliefs or traditions we should not hope to be able to persuade the other party. In essence, most of what we do on these boards is to bounce the unclarified butter of our ideas on others and hope that they'll come back as more clarified ghee:
    Jason wrote: »
    ...that doesn't mean we can't be critical of certain ideas or have inter-tradition debates, but it does mean that nobody can really 'win' such debates as each side is logically consistent within itself, and it all depends on what you take as the basis for your views. It's entirely possible that a person who accepts the commentarial literature in Theravada as authoritative can have serious disagreements with someone who only accepts the Suttas, so just imagine the amount of disagreement possible with someone who also accepts an additional collection of teachings that lies outside of Theravada altogether.

That's why I tend to look beyond these debates and focus instead on other criteria for choosing what to accept as the basis for my views, things such as archeology, scholarly opinion, textual analysis, etc. I'm just as liable to reject the majority of the Theravadin commentarial literature as I am the majority of Sanskrit sutras.

That doesn't mean, however, that I don't find things in each I like, admire or even adopt when I think they're beneficial; and it certainly doesn't stop me from trying to understand where other traditions are coming from in order to see past our differences.
  • edited November 2010
    conradcook wrote: »

That is to say, people who think that considering whether a particular point is true isn't out of line. No intention here to condemn other approaches. I'm just looking to contact other fundies.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.

I might be one. :rolleyes: But that's just me.
  • edited November 2010

That is to say, people who think that considering whether a particular point is true isn't out of line.
    Conrad.

I wouldn't call that 'fundamentalist'. 'Fundamentalist'--as least in common usage--generally has a pejorative connotation of sitting in judgment of others, of being 100% sure one is right and refusing to consider other arguments or possibilities.

And, often, it means to be more concerned with the letter of a rule or law or scripture rather than the spirit or deeper Truth behind it. If you're none of these, I shouldn't worry. ^_^
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Instead of fundamentalist, how about traditionalist, with the understanding that it's a sliding scale?

Buddhism needs its traditionalists, people who point out that it can't be "anything goes". There is a core Truth, a Dharma that has to remain no matter how we dress up our practice for modern times.

Even saying we need to change with the times can be fraught with peril (I've always wanted to use that phrase). After all, while the 21st century is different in a lot of ways, people and their natures have not changed. They still have the same disease of Dukkha that Buddha saw, and his prescription is still valid.

But I'm not a traditionalist, because that is what drove me from the Christian religion of my upbringing. I'm biased. Doesn't mean I don't respect those who caution against too much change for the sake of change. They got a point.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm a traditionalist.

I see its value, not for the sake of resisting change, but embracing values.
    edited November 2010
    I've been wondering how to post this to the "what path of beliefs have you threaded?" thread. But I guess this works better.

Someone else had called me a fundamentalist Buddhist, which is why I phrased it that way. I was raised atheist; by my nature, I incline to science and philosophy. My view always had been of a pretty impersonal universe. Not good, not bad, just run by logic and physics. My thoughts about religion were very speculative.

Then it started to become a priority to me to develop brotherly love. The two religions I've always deeply respected were Buddhism and Christianity. Christ teaches that this should be your first priority. And his teaching can open your eyes to that. But, he doesn't really tell you how to do that.

Then I discovered there was something in Buddhism called metta meditation. (Before this I just did just sitting.) Everyone else in my circles already knew about metta meditation, which kind of irritated me. Always the last to know!

I wasn't into it for enlightenment, just as I wasn't into Christianity for salvation. But lately I've come by some strange (and good!) side-effects that I understand Buddhism says happen as a result of cultivating metta.

So, I'm not sure I'm actually truly a Buddhist. In fact, I doubt that there's anyone on the planet who believes the same things I do, whether Buddhist or Christian. But, in terms of the results that I've seen, it looks to me like the Buddha's instruction is correct.

This is why I'm so focused on getting as close to possible to the historical Buddha's teaching. I understand every tradition includes the tinkerings of those who made the transmission happen, and hopefully are qualified.

I used to work in a computer lab, and we'd have people who didn't understand how computers worked, and were determined to do it the long way every time. Because the long way always worked. That's like me with Buddhism: I don't know what's going on, and therefore I want solid instructions.

This is where the "fundamentalist" thing comes in.

Lately I've come to believe that enlightenment is a real possibility. I never really thought of it before, or not for me.

--Actually, that's not exactly true: once in a Dharma talk the speaker said, "One of the things necessary is a 'firm decision' to become enlightened." And I thought: "Oh! That's what that is!"

Which is odd, because I couldn't tell you what that thought was about. It came out of nowhere.

Well, maybe one of these lifetimes.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    Me, I'm "traditional" as well... Vajrayana Buddhist following the Nyingma teachings...

It's a strange thing to consider, fundamentalism... I don't think anyone regards the word fundamentalist in a good way? I think it has come to be something of a demeaning label we apply to people that "blindly" follow all the words of a specific teaching. I say "blindly" because that appears to be their behavior when discussing their faith.

Fundamentalism in a religion; I believe, has come to be a circumstance in which a person "blindly" accepts all doctrine of a religion and adheres to all the teachings whole-heartedly without truly understanding the teachings. Typically; and unfortunately, I believe people often become fundamentalist as a result of fear...

Perhaps it would be better if you considered yourself a "devout" Buddhist?
    edited November 2010
    Perhaps it would be better if you considered yourself a "devout" Buddhist?

I don't think that describes me, no. A devout Buddhist I think follows the rules scrupulously. A devout Buddhist is a good Buddhist. He is seen as a model for other Buddhists.

I'm not very focused on following the rules. I eat meat sometimes. (I'm working toward becoming vegitarian.) I drink. I would sleep with a virgin (if she was of age) or a married woman, if by reading the situation I was convinced it wouldn't harm her emotionally or socially -- in contrast, a good Buddhist would probably consider these things "misconduct" because they are against the rules.

A devout Buddhist, I think, is first a Buddhist, and therefore follows the rules. I am not like this. I am very interested in creating a change in myself, and coincidentally it seems to me that Buddhism is the way to do it. I am trying to figure out what rules I need to follow, what the instructions are, for making this change happen.

But I would be equally happy following the rules in the "Alcoholics Anonymous" handbook, if I thought they would be effective in making the desired change. It is a coincidence that the completest instructions come from the Buddha. But knowing that they come from the Buddha, that is where my allegiance is.

A devout Buddhist has a religious mindset, in other words. I have a practical one.

I also hold Christ dear to my heart. I feel that devotion to Christ is compatible with devotion to Buddha, since both teach compassion. I feel this, but I have not mentally figured it out yet. Maybe I never will -- theology isn't really my thing. In any case, I think a devout Buddhist would shrug Christ off.

--But, to come back to your point, yes, I am interested in "blindly" following the Buddha's instruction. He knows more about the subject than I do. If I wanted to drive to New York city, would I ask you to write me directions and then only make the turns that I liked?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    In any case, I think a devout Buddhist would shrug Christ off.

I wouldn't be too sure about that... Christ would be quite a good example of being a bodhisattva and living bodhicitta...

At the end of the day, I think as long as you hold bodhicitta closely to your heart, and become better and better in living bodhicitta you're well on your way to a fortunate state in this life, and the next (be it heaven or rebirth as you may believe).
    edited November 2010
    I thought the idea there was to be of use, more than to be in a fortunate state?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    Can a deaf person hear the teachings? Can a blind man be inspired by the images of Buddha? ... I mean more fortunate in the sense of being born into a life that can be more easily "used" to come closer to becoming a Buddha...

Accumulating merit that can also make this very life easier for you to understand, and possibly teach Dharma down the road... Peeling away the negative layers that samsara has grown around your primordial "Buddha-Nature". The more you destroy samsara's grip on your Buddha-Nature the more fortunate your state is :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It started to become a priority to me to develop brotherly love. The two religions I've always deeply respected were Buddhism and Christianity. Christ teaches that this should be your first priority. And his teaching can open your eyes to that. But, he doesn't really tell you how to do that.

Then I discovered there was something in Buddhism called metta meditation. (Before this I just did just sitting.) Everyone else in my circles already knew about metta meditation, which kind of irritated me. Always the last to know!

I wasn't into it for enlightenment, just as I wasn't into Christianity for salvation. But lately I've come by some strange (and good!) side-effects that I understand Buddhism says happen as a result of cultivating metta...

In terms of the results that I've seen, it looks to me like the Buddha's instruction is correct.

This is why I'm so focused on getting as close to possible to the historical Buddha's teaching. I understand every tradition includes the tinkerings of those who made the transmission happen, and hopefully are qualified...

Conradcook, thank you for sharing this! Your friends must surely find you either to be a beautiful mystery or a mysterious beauty!

May the Force Be Always With Thee!
    edited December 2010
    :-) My friends largely think that I'm a harmless lunatic... or this is my impression.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Think I'm getting a feel for what is meant by "fundamentalist" and "traditionalist" now. These kind of labels have always confused me; don't know why.

What, however, is the word to describe one who isn't attached to tradition but seeks the truth that is there?
  • edited December 2010
    There are different cultures and languages, but the metta communicated is the same. Buddhism is so lovely that it subsumes into various culture of different countries because all people of different cultures shared the same peace and metta that Buddha Sakyamuni attained. Once you achieved metta, fundamentalist and traditionalist will become newbuddhist. From the fundamentalist point of view on newbuddhist, newbuddhist is fundamentalist. Some newbuddhist should not discriminate against other buddhists based on personal understanding but should instead engage on dialogue, discussion and build bridges amongst buddhism community for appreciation of understanding on each teachings. Surely, amongst those labelled as fundamentalist and traditionalist also have high grade practitioners and their teachings also benefit each and every buddhists that join them. To the least, the community and society they live in.
    With metta
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Is being a fundementalist Buddhist a bad thing ? What are the Fundementals...4 Noble Truths, Morale Discipline, Training in Stages of the path.
    Gee now if only everyone could be that fundemental we'd all be well into higher grounds by now ;)
  • edited December 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Is being a fundementalist Buddhist a bad thing ? What are the Fundementals...4 Noble Truths, Morale Discipline, Training in Stages of the path.
    Gee now if only everyone could be that fundemental we'd all be well into higher grounds by now ;)

I would call that traditional, Theravada, perhaps minimalist..but not fundamentalist the way Conrad is concerned about. At least, going by the post in another thread which led to this one.
  • edited December 2010
    Buddhists are no better than any body else, for theories are useless when not put into practice. If forcing Buddha's teaching down someone else's throat then your a fundi like any other religion. If it looks like your beliefs is going to create a argument you should probably yield and avoid if possible.

^Easily said, but hard to practice. Which one of us haven't looked down on someone who is deemed "ignorant"?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    I would call that traditional, Theravada, perhaps minimalist..but not fundamentalist the way Conrad is concerned about. At least, going by the post in another thread which led to this one.

Im not sure exactly what hes worried about friend ? :confused:
    New schools of Buddhism ? Dogmatic Buddhists Im right your wrong ?

Well on that note you get plenty of the Im right your wrong style of practitoners within Buddhism...;)
  • edited January 2011
    Dogmatic Buddhists. Just had to respond to this for the sole purpose of rolling my eyes. :eek2:

Thanks kindly for any tolerance shown in light of my reaction towards getting this out of my system. :O)
  • "you are not alone"
    Fundamental Buddhism
  • OO-er, don't want any extremist Buddhists around here, being extreme with their metta and sitting around, meditating and being calm. It's positively indecent!

What exactly is a dogmatic Buddhist, by the way? And do I need to make puns about the word "dog"?
  • There are dogmatic buddhists on here...lol...it's very unbecoming, and kinda goes against the whole point.
  • TheJourney, Buddhism is a personal endeavour. What you're works for you might not work for others and vice versa.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Buddhism isn't supposed to be dogma, worship, or very strict religion. Once it starts becoming that, or someone starts preaching it that way maybe then you can justifiably call someone an extremist or fundamentalist Buddhist, but more so they probably aren't really practicing Buddhism at its true essence. Buddhism is middle way, rarely is anything absolute.
  • I heard a joke about Buddhists on a BBC Radio 4 program. They did this sketch about why religions other than Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses don't came to the door. They suggested it was because they'd be rubbish at it.

In the radio sketch, the Buddhist character knocks on the door and says "Can I tell you about Buddha?"

The householder snaps back "No! I'm a Christian."

So the Buddhist says "Good for you!" and goes on their way.

(well maybe you had to be there...)
  • TheJourney, Buddhism is a personal endeavour. What you're works for you might not work for others and vice versa.
    that may be true... but "attachment to rites and rituals" (basically being dogmatic) is one of ten fetters (that chains samsaraputra to suffering).
  • Everyone before achieving supremeness, to a certain extent, is fundamentalist and traditionalist along their path of happy life, due to logic and physic of diverse worldly knowledge. In Buddhism, at least, their awareness of inherently Buddha begins the journey of wisdom into their enlightenment fruition. It planted blessings even though there may be fundamentalists and traditionalists. The blessings of Buddha seeds are imprinted and revitalizing, and in no time, it may just erupt and fruition. Keep it up folks and cheers to all present and future Buddha.
  • OO-er, don't want any extremist Buddhists around here, being extreme with their metta and sitting around, meditating and being calm. It's positively indecent!

What exactly is a dogmatic Buddhist, by the way? And do I need to make puns about the word "dog"?
    You know? Next time I run across any dogmatic Buddhists, I will just Woof!

• Buddhism isn't supposed to be dogma, worship, or very strict religion. Once it starts becoming that, or someone starts preaching it that way maybe then you can justifiably call someone an extremist or fundamentalist Buddhist, but more so they probably aren't really practicing Buddhism at its true essence. Buddhism is middle way, rarely is anything absolute.
    This is how I see it too... absolutely.

:p:p