Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the part does not differ from the whole

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
alright I was just contemplating and meditating and had a realization.

Without the part, the whole isn't what it is. Without the whole, the part isn't what it is. Therefore, the part IS the whole and the whole IS the part.

Think about it like this. Pretend you have a black square. This is the whole. You put a white square in the middle of it. This is the part. Say it takes up a quarter of the whole. Now let's isolate the part from the whole. What are you left with? a white square taking up 1/4 of the square it's inside of. Now let's isolate the whole, not including the part. What are you left with? A square with a square inside of it that takes up 1/4 of the total area.

So you see, the whole does not differ from the part. Think of this in terms of karma. Any given karmic act influences the world. You could term it a part of the whole. If I do a karmic action, what exists is it plus everything else. If we do the action and isolate it we're left with the action minus everything else. If we don't do the action and isolate everything that exists, of course not including what you didn't do, you're left with everything else minus the action. When you think about it, as in the example of the squares, they're the same thing.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    interdependent aren't they? I find your insight interesting...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Right! :) Interdependent, timeless emptiness.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    alright I was just contemplating and meditating and had a realization.

Without the part, the whole isn't what it is. Without the whole, the part isn't what it is. Therefore, the part IS the whole and the whole IS the part.

Nearly, unfortunately you've fabricated an answer, so you "missed it by that much".

Look for something in between:

a) Without the part, the whole isn't what it is. Without the whole, the part isn't what it is.
    :confused:
    and,
    b) Therefore, the part IS the whole and the whole IS the part.

Cheers, WK