Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Little help please, confusing experience/effect

CloudCloud Veteran
edited November 2010 in Meditation
This is difficult to really say. I was meditating on the essence of time, specifically that it has no inherent existence, and felt a pull into a really clear "now". It still seems to be the case. A lot of the distractions in my head have stopped and my focus seems to be narrow but it feels very strange, and...

I've been laying down trying to get to sleep but hearing sounds that I should not be hearing; breathing and activity of others that sounds completely real and as if it were "right here", but clearly much too far away that I should be able to hear. And other sounds I can't describe...

Anyone? I'll try to lay back down but any help is appreciated.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I had a similar experience once after a 45-minute guided group meditation in a psychology class I had. I don't recall it being Buddhist in nature. But, anyways, I remember that for several minutes after it seemed like my sensory perception was heightened, if you will. Colors were more vivid, my sense of smell was more acute, and my hearing seemed greatly enhanced. I could hear the hum of the electrical currents in the wires in the walls. I heard car doors that I could tell were far away.

Is this similar to what you're experiencing? I've only had this type of experience once, so I'm afraid I can't explain it any further. I know it did eventually recede and I was back to normal.

I should also mention that I normally have difficulty filtering ambient sounds and other sensory stimuli, so I don't know how much of that affected my experience compared to what someone else would have perceived.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    There are all kinds of odd effects you can get with meditation. Our senses are actually far keener than we usually acknowledge.

For example: If you look at any solid-colored wall, you'll notice a kind of constantly changing grainy texture, almost like static on a TV screen. Then, as you tune into that, you can look at something that's not solidly-colored, and see it there, too.

I have a friend who calls this "seeing the pixels firing." It's like the background hum you can hear when you're not hearing anything. This texture is overlaid on everything you see. It's static in your neurological wiring.

So odds are you're just tuning in to fully accessing your senses. It was always there; you just never paid attention before.

Or it could be something you're generating. Your imagination is constantly churning a kind of dream-script, too, for a subtle mental texture. If I had to guess, I'd think it was the first.

Either way, you're noticing things. Keep it up!

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Going to sleep and hearing such things is probably Hypnagogia.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It's all good now. Some things take getting used to. Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

Namaste
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The balance between energy and concentration may have been tipped towards energy. This is self correcting by mindfulness over time.

I am having an affective disorder and the colors and smells and music is amazing when I am in a moderately energetic mood. Too much and it is great distortions of everything and spinning thoughts. Seeing pictures when I close my eyes. I read a story of a teacher knocking their student unconscious due to too much energy though that seems much more harsh than the zen wacks so I don't know if I'm cool with that.

When it is tipped towards concentration we can dull out and feel like a statue. Unfeeling.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Keep meditating :-)