Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can we be successful and Buddhist at the same time?

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited December 2005 in Buddhism Basics
"Am I allowed to be successful in Buddhism?"

If you have ever asked yourself this same question, then perhaps you may benefit from reading these three excerpts from the Pali Canon:

The Sigalovada Sutta

The Adiya Sutta

The Dighajanu Sutta

Nowhere does the Buddha ever tell his lay-followers to not wish for success or happiness. He instead gives the lay-person a set of guidelines for living in a morally skillful and prosperous way. Certain desires, like that of wanting to follow the Noble Eightfold Path, are actually part of the Path itself (dhamma-chanda).

The advice the Buddha gives is to not attach to these worldly gains, not forsake them altogether. Many people mistake the Buddha's teachings as meaning they must give up everything they own, or refrain from being successful. This is not true. While monastics are required to relinquish their possessions, lay-followers are not. They are simply taught specific conducts which are in line with the Dhamma. A business is no different. The truth is, if the accumulation of wealth is used (and accumulated) in the right way it can be meritous! As he advised the wealthy lay-devotee Anathapindika:

"...There is the case where the disciple of the noble ones — using the wealth earned through his efforts & enterprise, amassed through the strength of his arm, and piled up through the sweat of his brow, righteous wealth righteously gained — provides himself with pleasure & satisfaction, and maintains that pleasure rightly. He provides his mother & father with pleasure & satisfaction, and maintains that pleasure rightly. He provides his children, his wife, his slaves, servants, & assistants with pleasure & satisfaction, and maintains that pleasure rightly. This is the first benefit that can be obtained from wealth.

"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones — using the wealth earned through his efforts & enterprise, amassed through the strength of his arm, and piled up through the sweat of his brow, righteous wealth righteously gained — provides his friends & associates with pleasure & satisfaction, and maintains that pleasure rightly. This is the second benefit that can be obtained from wealth.

"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones — using the wealth earned through his efforts & enterprise, amassed through the strength of his arm, and piled up through the sweat of his brow, righteous wealth righteously gained — wards off from calamities coming from fire, flood, kings, thieves, or hateful heirs, and keeps himself safe. This is the third benefit that can be obtained from wealth.

"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones — using the wealth earned through his efforts & enterprise, amassed through the strength of his arm, and piled up through the sweat of his brow, righteous wealth righteously gained — performs the five oblations: to relatives, guests, the dead, kings, & devas. This is the fourth benefit that can be obtained from wealth.

"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones — using the wealth earned through his efforts & enterprise, amassed through the strength of his arm, and piled up through the sweat of his brow, righteous wealth righteously gained — institutes offerings of supreme aim, heavenly, resulting in happiness, leading to heaven, given to priests & contemplatives who abstain from intoxication & heedlessness, who endure all things with patience & humility, each taming himself, each restraining himself, each taking himself to Unbinding. This is the fifth benefit that can be obtained from wealth.

"If it so happens that, when a disciple of the noble ones obtains these five benefits from wealth, his wealth goes to depletion, the thought occurs to him, 'Even though my wealth has gone to depletion, I have obtained the five benefits that can be obtained from wealth,' and he feels no remorse. If it so happens that, when a disciple of the noble ones obtains these five benefits from wealth, his wealth increases, the thought occurs to him, 'I have obtained the five benefits that can be obtained from wealth, and my wealth has increased,' and he feels no remorse. So he feels no remorse in either case..."

- From the Adiya Sutta: AN V.41

I hope that you find this helpful, and I wish you all the greatest success in your endeavors.

Best wishes to all.

:)

Jason

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    it's always good to be reminded that the buddhist path is the MIDDLE path, and not one of pure asceticism, as is so often thought.

Thanks, elohim, for reminding us :)
  • edited December 2005
    Well, we say Buddhism is the middle path. But if my parent's won the lottery, I would become instantly rich (if I personally won the lottery I could give it away). But even if I did become rich and end up living in a mansion, I don't think I would be any less of a Buddhist than I am now. So of course, you can be successful and Buddhist - if that were not true then Buddhism would be denying you the chance to lead a full life, which is definatly not what Buddha's intentions were.
  • edited December 2005
    It is not a matter of what you have, but how you live. Follow the Buddha's teachings and trust yourself to do what is right. There is nothing wrong with being successful, as long as that success does not taint your life. The Buddha was a great teacher, and let common sense abound in everything you do. The simple fact that you asked the question shows what type of person you are and that you are on the right path...do not waiver :)