Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can You Guess Who This Is?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
Who IS this boy???
boy.jpg

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Oh that's easy! That's His Holiness the Dalai Lama as a wee lad. ^_^
  • edited November 2010
    Looks like him, even then, eh?

Methinks you are the buddha too, Artemis. :-)
  • edited November 2010
    Davy wrote: »
    Methinks you are the buddha too, Artemis. :-)

*blush* If only!
  • edited November 2010
    it looks like a goblin
  • edited November 2010
    Have some respect, troll.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    He's not a troll, he's a goblin. That's why he can use that term.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Every child looks like a little Buddha.

And looking at him makes me want to dig him out from under that fancy robe and let him have some fun playing with the other boys outside. Reminds me of an old picture I have of me about that age, dressed in my going-to-church suit with bow tie, standing outside the church on a fine Sunday summer morning.

Can you imagine what goes through a young boy's head, when a bunch of strangers show up and suddenly you're yanked from your parents and home and surrounded by strangers who tell you what to do every waking moment, and have to give up being a child because you're some reincarnated guy you've never met? That's what I'd really love to ask the Dalai Lama about.

And, it's something that Tibetan Buddhists probably need to talk about, too. This is one custom that might be better to leave behind.
  • edited November 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »
    Can you imagine what goes through a young boy's head, when a bunch of strangers show up and suddenly you're yanked from your parents and home and surrounded by strangers who tell you what to do every waking moment, and have to give up being a child because you're some reincarnated guy you've never met? That's what I'd really love to ask the Dalai Lama about.

''The Story of Tibet -conversations with the Dalai Lama'' by Thomas Laird is an interesting read and gives a few glimpses into his feelings when he was a child.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    ''The Story of Tibet -conversations with the Dalai Lama'' by Thomas Laird is an interesting read and gives a few glimpses into his feelings when he was a child.

I'll have to see if the library has a copy of that. It sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks!
  • edited November 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »

And, it's something that Tibetan Buddhists probably need to talk about, too. This is one custom that might be better to leave behind.

He says he missed his mother, and was lonely, with no one to play with. Psychologists have studied the writings of famous tulkus (HHDL, and Chogyam Trungpa, possibly others, I don't recall), and feel that removing children from their parents at such a tender age can be traumatic. They link Trungpa's alcoholism to a sense of abandonment at a very early age.
  • edited November 2010
    He says he missed his mother, and was lonely, with no one to play with. Psychologists have studied the writings of famous tulkus (HHDL, and Chogyam Trungpa, possibly others, I don't recall), and feel that removing children from their parents at such a tender age can be traumatic. They link Trungpa's alcoholism to a sense of abandonment at a very early age.

Of course they do. You know what I link it to? He liked to drink. Occam's Razor hasn't let me down yet.
  • edited December 2010
    The question is: why was he so out of control about it? A lot of people like to drink. Not everyone drinks themselves to death over time. (You're not fond of psychology, are you, KD?)