Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist narrative structures?

conradcookconradcook Veteran
edited November 2010 in Arts & Writings
I think we all know pretty well how Christ's story is used often as a parable and underlying structure for popular fiction.

It goes like this: A hero faces insurmountable odds, sacrifices himself for love, is betrayed, is killed (symbolically or literally), is gone for a period of time, comes back to life, butchers his enemies, marries the beautiful woman, and lives happily ever after. Just Like Christ. (??)

That's the Hollywood version, anyway. The ending, where the hero usually commits mass murder, isn't in the Gospels, but I guess it makes for better film.

But when this kind of thing is done right -- which to me means communicating the message of brotherly love -- it can be quite beautiful.

So, my question--

Is this done with the story of Buddha, or other Buddhist narratives? Are there narratives in the Buddhist tradition that are likely to be found in movies or novels?

Thoughts?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.