Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

edited November 2010 in General Banter
Who here has read Jiddu Krishnamurti's thoughts? What is your opinion on them/the guy?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I've read about 90% of "The Awakening of Intelligence"

I think he has a special way of looking at things in the sense that he is very practical and rational. He doesn't care what religion or background you are from, he's only interested in talking to you directly about your current problems. He makes some very good points...we've had all of these systems of philosophy and religion for a LONG time...Buddhism, Hinduism, Muslim, Christianity....and still the world is still chaos. Krishnamurti is excellent at pinning down the reason for this from a rational perspective. He forces you to consider your own problems directly, and not to resort to some system of practice in order to deal with them. He asks a lot from people.

But...on the down side, I think he spends TOO much time trying to rationalize things, that it doesn't end up making any sense. In his talks he spent too much time trying to rationalize, and not enough time listening to the questions of his audience.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, I haven't read any actual book by him, but read some of the his talks' transcripts and it seem to not go anywhere. I was amazed at how much his thought process seem close to how I analyze things though....he's definitely hard on people and on himself. But yeah, he doesn't seem to be able to effectively communicate the value of some of his realizations.
  • edited November 2010
    Yea, he also only had one way of explaining things, and when people didn't get it, he just explained it in the same way again.

One of his best topics though is the way we use images to relate to everything in life. He is spot on in regards to this.

Oh and The Awakening of Intelligence is just a massive collection of his discussions with people around the world, its not any writing.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I have nothing but the profoundest respect for the man. Are you aware of what the Theosophists in India were trying to do and how he just said, "No!"? An incredible life, really. The circles I moved in never came close to his, though, and so unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to meet any of his "followers."

I have read many of his works, but his earliest —written when he was a boy— is still my favorite. It is titled, "At the Feet of the Master." A few others I've read are Life Ahead, Commentaries on Living, and Way of Intelligence. It's been a while, but Krishnamurti spoke articulately about the fact of how fear governs our lives and how we need to be free of it. Quite frankly, I always admired his iconoclastic attitude against things that would trap the human or investigative spirit.

I am sorry that some people don't like his style, but such are the times. If it isn't all brassy and noisy, people just can't hear.
  • edited November 2010
    I have great respect for him as well, and actually I believe the main reason he was so misunderstood is simply due to people clinging to their belief systems.

I'm sure as my understanding grows, I will be more able to understand his words.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Bumping!
  • Dear friends,
    How unfortunate is it that we have likes and dislikes. We accept and appreciate that which we LIKE. We appreciate that which appeals to me. We do not really go all the way for truth. If we are really serious and honest we never criticize that
    which we have not understood. You may criticize the things after having complete comprehension. If we can not understand truth it is not the mistake of truth. Similarly if you have not understood K it is not his mistake. You may not have given your heart or even time for him. That is so because we are not interested in truth. See How absurd is our heart and minds are? not interested in truth but comments on those who spoke nothing but truth like K. And on the top of it you want our opinion on him. How can any candle comment on a Sun? regards

Rao taduri
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    It's a discussion forum not a monastery.
    This is what the forum is for, discussing teachings, writings practice and Buddhism in general.

appraisal and criticism is absolutely vital in Buddhism, to accept or not accept, to discern what sits well with us or not, is essential.
    Truth is subjective. We have different viewpoints, just as people gazing at a single diamond from different angles see the same thing, but slightly differently, nevertheless.

If that doesn't sit well with you, then really, I'm not sure what you're on a discussion board, for.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    It's a discussion forum not a monastery.
    This is what the forum is for, discussing teachings, writings practice and Buddhism in general.

appraisal and criticism is absolutely vital in Buddhism, to accept or not accept, to discern what sits well with us or not, is essential.
    Truth is subjective. We have different viewpoints, just as people gazing at a single diamond form different angles see the same thing, but slightly differently, nevertheless.

If that doesn't sit well with you, then really, I'm not sure what you're on a discussion board, for.
    Exactly!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    There must be absolute freedom from orthodox or traditional movements; but rather there must be total freedom, absolute freedom from all sense of nationalities, racial prejudices, religious beliefs and faiths.
    Krishnamurti

In other words, people have to stop being people. OK, how do we do this? We certainly don't do it by establishing some sort of think tank of elite free thinkers. A hundred years from now, they're still going to be thinking about the problem, because it has no logical solution.

I have no big criticisms about the man or what he said and feel sorry for what he had to put up with in his childhood. I do need to point out that for all his repeating a lot of what Zen has been saying for centuries, his teaching never gets beyond the "This is what we're doing wrong" stage. It's guru teaching without the robes and incense.

People are tribal animals, on an instinctive and hardwired level that cannot be overcome by just pointing out it's not logical and counterproductive in a crowded world. If the Buddha's Dharma is a prescription for the disease of suffering, then Krishnamurti is someone pointing out that you're sick without offering a way to get better. That's the difference. Buddha answered the question, "OK, now what?"

To put it another way, he's like a visiting lecturer at a school, who comes in, tells the students some interesting things about how we should buckle down and get an education, but leaves it to the real teachers to actually do the hard work of pounding an education into a bunch of unruly students.

Sorry if I'm being critical, and his followers will tell me that I'm just clinging to my religion without seeing the paradox of putting him on an elevated spiritual plane. Again, instincts at work. It's how the human mind handles the world.

If only people would stop being people.
  • edited January 2011
    If critical thinking is the way you like to walk the path, then Krishnamurti is for you. I have enjoyed him for his critical approach. I have also read from HWL Poonja, who is a hoot, and a student of Ramana Maharshi, who is an all-time favorite of mine for his brief text on the matter (the Gospel According to Ramana Maharshi), and I recall a joke about Krishnamurti... I believe it was a student's comment; "He empties the vase one piece at a time, and Poonja smashes the vase altogether".

Cheers - Mark
  • Read this poem by Krishnamurti

The Immortal Friend
    (Poem)

I sat dreaming in a room of great silence.
    The early morning was still and breathless,
    The great blue mountains stood against the dark
    skies, cold and clear,
    Round the dark log house
    The black and yellow birds were welcoming the sun.

I sat on the floor, with legs crossed, meditating,
    Forgetting the sunlit mountains,
    The birds,
    The immense silence,
    And the golden sun.

I lost the feel of my body,
    My limbs were motionless,
    Relaxed and at peace.
    A great joy of unfathomable depth filled my heart.
    Eager and keen was my mind, concentrated.
    Lost to the transient world,
    I was full of strength.

As the Eastern breeze
    That suddenly springs into being
    And calms the weary world,
    There in front of me
    Seated cross-legged,
    As the world knows Him
    In His yellow robes, simple and magnificent,
    Was the Teacher of Teachers.

Looking at me,
    Motionless the Mighty Being sat.
    I looked and bowed my head.
    My body bent forward of itself.

That one look
    Showed the progress of the world,
    Showed the immense distance between the world
    And the greatest of its Teachers.

How little it understood,
    And how much He gave.
    How joyously He soared,
    Escaping from birth and death,
    From its tyranny and entangling wheel.

Enlightenment attained,
    He gave to the world, as the flower gives
    Its scent,
    The Truth.

As I looked
    At the sacred feet that once trod the happy
    Dust of India,
    My heart poured forth its devotion,
    Limitless and unfathomable,
    Without restraint and without effort.

-J Krishnamurti, 'The immortal friend', Ommen, Star publishing Trust 1928, Pages 8-10 also quoted in 'J Krishnamurti' as I knew him' by Susunaga Weeraperuma- Motilal Banarsidass- 1996, Pages 181-183.
  • Dear Friends,
    Are we any different after having all these discussions over such long time. If the change is only superficial then is it worth all this hard work? Is it a forum to show our knowledge or cleverness in this field of spirituality or philosophy or is it a forum to help each other for the complete understanding of TRUTH. If it is not the case then I will be out of this forum right now. Regards

Dr Rao Taduri :
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Most people are here to learn and/or to help others. Some aren't. They're free to leave if they don't like the forum, of course. :D And of course being the "General Banter" section, this isn't such serious discussion.
  • Dear Friends,
    Are we any different after having all these discussions over such long time. If the change is only superficial then is it worth all this hard work? Is it a forum to show our knowledge or cleverness in this field of spirituality or philosophy or is it a forum to help each other for the complete understanding of TRUTH. If it is not the case then I will be out of this forum right now. Regards

Dr Rao Taduri :
    My friend, everyone has to start somewhere.

I gave a series of talks about the Dharma some years ago and taught meditation. When I asked for questions, a lot of hands immediately shot up. Some of the questions were obviously designed to seek validation of their insight. Some were argumentative and showed they had an underlying struggle going on in their mind. A few were sincere questions about how to practice the Dharma or straighten up a confusing point.

I know how it is, because when I sat and listened to my first Master, I had a question carefully prepared before the event to show my hard won insight to him and the group. He knew it, I'm sure. He validated my insight and gave me a question that proved I had far to go.

You've told us what you don't want to find here, but what is it you would like to find here? As sloppy and messy and argumentative as this forum can be, so far all I've found is minds at work, trying to connect with each other.

• What is required for capturing the real truth? Not the truth which is man-made
    or man-thought so that it is illusory and has no real perfume or value. I know all
    of you can give a million very erudite answers. But it should be given by one who has felt or smelt that real perfume so that they have the real love in heart and true intelligence in the mind ( not the cleverness of brain ) Regards

Dr Madhusudhan Rao taduri
  • What is required for capturing the real truth? Not the truth which is man-made
    or man-thought so that it is illusory and has no real perfume or value. I know all
    of you can give a million very erudite answers. But it should be given by one who has felt or smelt that real perfume so that they have the real love in heart and true intelligence in the mind ( not the cleverness of brain ) Regards

Dr Madhusudhan Rao taduri
    Well, Master Seung Sahn of my school of Buddhism realized the truth by going on a hundred day retreat to a mountain and eating only pine needles and taking icewater baths. Like to killed him, and he admitted after that, he didn't find anything up there that he didn't take with him to begin with.

Capturing the real truth requires a person examine and discard past assumptions and habits. To begin with, you're not capturing anything. Words are a flawed tool, but certainly not useless. It's how the Dharma teaching is transmitted, after all.

Way back when, the Buddha smiled, twirled a flower in his fingers and held it out to the congregation. Only one follower smiled back. Thus Maha Kashma received the true teaching beyond words, and Zen was born. But was the teaching in the twirling flower, or the smile? What was transmitted between Buddha and the monk? Another great Master heard a tile striking a stone and received the clear mind. Was the teaching in the tile, or the sound, or within the monk?

You can enter the gateless gate just as easily from reading the rambling words of a fool, as you can hearing an Enlightened Master pontificate. What you're looking for isn't "out there" after all.

• edited January 2011
    " Way back when, the Buddha smiled, twirled a flower in his fingers and held it out to the congregation. Only one follower smiled back. Thus Maha Kashma received the true teaching beyond words, and Zen was born. But was the teaching in the twirling flower, or the smile? What was transmitted between Buddha and the monk? "

Between the Buddha and the monk was all the monk needed to know. ?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What is required for capturing the real truth? Not the truth which is man-made
    of you can give a million very erudite answers. But it should be given by one who has felt or smelt that real perfume so that they have the real love in heart and true intelligence in the mind ( not the cleverness of brain )
    Well, thanks for that, but until that person makes themselves known, we'll just have to make do with all the members here who have joined to share, contribute, enjoy, learn, exchange and communicate.
    if that's not for you, or to your liking, well, that's just tough, but thanks for stopping by.

:)