Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My Buddhism

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Sorry I have not been around here for a while. Marching Band is finally over now!:bigclap: Anyway, I don't have any particular intrest in associating myself with one specific sect in Buddhism. I have taken my own philosophy and added some Buddhist stuff in it too.

- There are no absolutes, however in society, it may be deemed necessary for certain laws and rules to be enacted to insure the welfare of the people and the state

-No need for personal deities or afterlives

-Bad things can happen to very good people

-Suffering is part of the life of all creatures

-Violence may be permitted in circumstances such as self-defense

-All actions do have consequences (both negative and positive)

-Love is a word...Nothing more...What is important is the meaning it implies.

-Veangeance, often times seen as the same as justice, only prolongs suffering and is only for self-gratification.

-Just because I see that one path is easier than the next, this does not mean that I will take the easier path.

-A man may spend his whole life locked away in search of happiness and never find it, where as another may give just one penny as an offering to the poor and attain the gladness of several lifetimes.

This is just a loose 'creed' of mine. A jumbled bunch of ideas. Does it fit in at all with the Buddha's teachings!?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I personally can see nothing of what you have written that either contradicts or goes against what the Buddha taught.
    If you can manage to live your life along the lines of what your few and pithy words say here, you are not doing too badly at all, Knight! :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    Sorry I have not been around here for a while. Marching Band is finally over now!:bigclap: Anyway, I don't have any particular intrest in associating myself with one specific sect in Buddhism. I have taken my own philosophy and added some Buddhist stuff in it too.

- There are no absolutes, however in society, it may be deemed necessary for certain laws and rules to be enacted to insure the welfare of the people and the state

-No need for personal deities or afterlives

-Bad things can happen to very good people

-Suffering is part of the life of all creatures

-Violence may be permitted in circumstances such as self-defense

-All actions do have consequences (both negative and positive)

-Love is a word...Nothing more...What is important is the meaning it implies.

-Veangeance, often times seen as the same as justice, only prolongs suffering and is only for self-gratification.

-Just because I see that one path is easier than the next, this does not mean that I will take the easier path.

-A man may spend his whole life locked away in search of happiness and never find it, where as another may give just one penny as an offering to the poor and attain the gladness of several lifetimes.

This is just a loose 'creed' of mine. A jumbled bunch of ideas. Does it fit in at all with the Buddha's teachings!?

I hope it does, because I agree with you 100%. :)
  • edited November 2005

It certainly doesn't disagree, though it's helpful to bear in mind that Buddhism isn't a set of beliefs. Buddhism teaches us to let go of such ideas and see things directly. Learning to respond appropriately is not a matter of holding particular beliefs but of seeing things as they are, unfiltered by ideas of how we or the world should be.
  • edited November 2005
    Yep, I just wander around aimlessly with all sects wondering how I got here????
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Hey ZenMonk,

What does your little saying mean? "Rev. Genryu"?

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    :) It means Reverend Genryu.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Well, I kind of figured that.

I didn't think that it stood for:

Reverse Genryu or
    Revert Genryu or
    Revere Genryu or
    Revenant Genryu or
    Reveal Genryu (you get the point)...

I was hoping you would expound on you being a Reverend of what and where? :)

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Not much to expound on I'm afraid. It simply means that I'm a fully ordained Zen Buddhist monk.