Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where does this quote come from?

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
edited November 2010 in General Banter
I saw this online and couldn't find any source as to where it came from:
At first I looked at the clouds and they were just clouds. Then I was learning the Way, and they were no longer just clouds. Now I have learned the Way and they are once again just clouds.

It sounds fairly Zen to me. But it could be from a really bad movie or something.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I think it was more about rivers and trees, or something. I've heard it before, but not in a movie; book or lecture on Buddhism.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Before I had studied Zen for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains, and waters as waters.

When I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not mountains, and waters are not waters.

But now that I have got its very substance I am at rest. For it's just that I see mountains once again as mountains, and waters once again as waters.

- Zen Master Ching-yuan
  • edited November 2010
    What's it supposed to mean?
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This might help.

http://www.shotokai.com/ingles/filosofia/searching_bull.html

Epicurus wrote: »
    What's it supposed to mean?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Before I had studied Zen for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains, and waters as waters.

When I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not mountains, and waters are not waters.

But now that I have got its very substance I am at rest. For it's just that I see mountains once again as mountains, and waters once again as waters.

- Zen Master Ching-yuan </td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

Thanks! Where is this quote from (text)?