Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What if Jesus was Satan?

edited November 2005 in Faith & Religion
Discuss.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Aren't we all a bit of both? :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Simon put up a thread awhile ago where I stated something like this. I can't remember where the thread is.

But it basically went something like - if Satan is The Great Deciever - do you think he's going to try to win people over by using bands like Marylin Manson or get people to start worshipping devils and practicing witchcraft (as spoken of in the Bible) or things like that?

Or do you think he will come to people as a beautiful person or shining angel that looks as if to bring peace and happiness and justice?

I know if someone came to me looking like Linda Blair in the Exorcist and wanted me to join up with them - they'd be seeing my backside as I ran away.

But - have someone like Salma Hyack coming to ask me to join her side - oh baby!, I'm all over it!

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    If you want a 'spiritual' reply, here is one:

The Christ and the Deceiver can be read as aspects of our own selves, constantly struggling, if we read Scripture as allegorical rather than as some sort of journalistic literalism.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    If you want a 'spiritual' reply, here is one:

The Christ and the Deceiver can be read as aspects of our own selves, constantly struggling, if we read Scripture as allegorical rather than as some sort of journalistic literalism.

Thank you for the intelligent answers you always give. Once I quit reading the bible literally, the book means more to me. I don't read it often, but when I do I know I'm not reading "THE WORD OF GOD" but man's ideas about a deity.

And some of those ideas are quite scary
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    And some of those ideas are quite scary

If you'd like a story that bamboozles Bible literalists, have a look at Exodus, chapter 4, verses 24-26. It is the strange story of Zipporah and the "husband of blood". Translators try to get it to make sense. Some even translate the Hebrew euphemism for genitals. But, if you compare versions and (if you read Hebrew) the original or (if you don't) a Jewish translation, you will see that the whole scene is very problematical, even apart from the idea that Yhwh had decided to kill Moses.

I really love asking clergy their exegesis on these few verses. and I have never heard a sermon on them!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Simon, I have just hauled these verses up out of the deep chasm of botomless knowledge known as 'Theeinteurnette' and given that I am a woman ofacertainage, in my prime, I naturally understand the verses completely!:crazy:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot,

King Diamond, while in Mercyful Fate, wrote a song about just such a thing:

The Lady Who Cries

Many have seen the statue that cries
    But only I have seen her at night
    Many say that it...is a miracle
    Many say that her...tears can heal you, but

When the sun goes down, and my day begins
    That's when I saw her change
    Her tears did turn to blood, just like a miracle
    And through her mouth of stone, I saw the fire

From so deep inside, I heard a voice from Hell
    "I am the lady who cries, I am he who lights the night"
    "I am Lucifer"

[solo: Shermann]

Many say that it...is a miracle
    Many say that her...tears can heal you, but

From so deep inside, I heard a voice from Hell
    "I am the lady who cries, I am he who lights the night"

[solo: Wead]

"I'm your eternal friend"

"Let my children come to me at day
    Let my children come to me and pray"

[solo: Wead]

"They don't know who I am
    Or that they worship the Devil
    "They don't know who I am
    They think I'm a miracle..."

I never miss a chance to promote the King.

:)

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Well thar ya go Elo-Him mah man... y'all can take the Dude outta the Devil, butcha kint take the Devil out' the Dude - !!:rarr: :usflag:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Fede,

:lol:

:rockon: Jason :rockon:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Simon,
    I know the one you are talking about. Boy, did YHWH show his ticked off side there. He sure can get angry at a seconds notice.