Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited November 2005 in General Banter
I have always been a fan of the 1981 TV show and the movie was okay but not very true to the story but recently I bought the 5 book collected set at Barnes and Noble and I must say that I am having a hard time putting the thing down. I recommend everyone read this. The ideas and philosophies are great.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Hitchhiker began life as a radio serial. Douglas Adams was still writing it as each episode was recorded. He is said not to have known where the story would take him and the last episode had to to ripped out of his hands! For my taste, it is much better than the TV series and, even, than the books.

It is available from the BBC.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Aaaah, I remember the series on radio, very well! And the TV series, narrated wonderfully by Peter Jones!
    Have either of you read the 'Dirk Gently' "Trilogy of two".....? Very clever, convoluted, seemingly disjointed but coming all together, masterfully at the end....! Brilliant! What a shame he died before he could make it a proper 'trilogy of four' as he referred to the Hitch-hiker' series..... :(
    edited November 2005
    The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul! Wonderful.

The nearest living writer to Adams, better even than Pratchett imho, is Robert Rankin.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    ......(I don't actually like Pratchett.........):o
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited November 2005
    COOL!

Me and Ajani are also fans of the show.Especially the part where the answer to everything in life was 42 :lol::lol:
    Ajani had finish reading all the five books.Maybe you can discuss with him.
    Me on the other hand will just bask in the humour of the show..Haha..
    Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy is one of the Best Shows..:bigclap:

"May your fiath in yourself and your religion remain unwavering"
    -Ar.Aid
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    ......(I don't actually like Pratchett.........):o

Have you read Thief of Time?
    edited November 2005
    No..... But then again, I haven't read any Pratchett... I've had loads read to me though.... he seems to take established classics and add his own edge to them.... after a while I get irritated......:wtf: :o:lol:
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited November 2005
    hitchhiker's guide to galaxy?i've seen the cd(pirated version),and i only watch the beginning and the end cause i fell asleep in the middle.maybe science fiction is to sophisticated for a neanderthal like me
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I remember reading "Good Omens" by Pratchett and someone else.

It seemed - okay - at the time.

But, I can see what you're saying, Fede. Making your craft on taking some sort of masterpiece and then making light of it - seems much easier than actually coming up with a masterpiece on your own.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Let us all join hands and sing the following hymn (which I've been humming since the movie first came out):

So long and thanks for all the fish
    So sad that it should come to this
    We tried to warn you all but oh dear
    You may not share our intellect
    Which might explain your disrespect
    For all the natural wonders that grow around you.
    So long, So long, and thanks for all the fish

The world’s about to be destroyed
    Theres no point getting all annoyed.
    Lie back and let the planet dissolve (around you)
    Despite those nets of tuna fleets
    We thought that most of you were sweet
    Especially tiny tots and your pregnant women.

So long, So long, So long, So long, So long,

If I had just one last wish
    I would like a tasty fish

If we could just change one thing
    We would all have learnt to sing

Come one and all
    Man and mammal
    Side by side in life’s great gene pool

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Argon thought I was crazy when I was singing this song... Haha...

The ending was such a mess... WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! To think Arthur Dent'd have died back on where he started... Earth! His daughter is barking crazy, dude...

Personally I have Tom Clancy and John Grisham as my favourite authors... Next to them is the gone past author Issac Asimov, but I kind of disagree with his AI philosophy, thus I fight 'em! RAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! KA-MATE! KA-MATE!
  • edited November 2005
    I'm constantly bugging my husband by busting into song. And usually it's really sporadic - a few words here and there. I might start in the middle or at the end. Maybe 'cause I can't remember lyrics for anything (unlike him).