Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It's just a feeling/ thought/ sensation, ect.

edited November 2010 in Meditation
When I'm meditating if a feeling, thought ect. comes to mind, I simply identify it as a feeling and refocus on my breathing.

What has surprised me is that even when I'm not meditating this method is very helpful. When a negative thought or feeling arises, I simply note that it has arisen, try briefly to identify it's cause and the wait for it to go away. Often when I'm doing other things it comes as a surprise to me to notice that the thought/feeling has gone.

All this has been so, so helpful. It allows me to practice mindfulness and also note the impermanence of all things. Before I knew about Buddhism, I would often get stuck in negativity, going around and around without escaping.

So for others who are new like me, I just wanted to say that sticking with meditation is worth it. I use the same method when meditating becomes physically uncomfortable. The discomfort does go away when I focus on my breathing.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    That's very good. Mindfulness is very helpful in developing bodhicitta :)
  • edited November 2010
    The discomfort does go away when I focus on my breathing.

I completely agree. The breathing techniques I've learned from meditation have helped me in numerous other areas of life.