Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Naga vs. Annunaki

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
I'm not sure that this ought to be posted in this forum, or whether many people know much about the Annunaki of Fertile Crescent Mythology but I was wondering if there might be a correlation between them and the Naga of Hindu mythology? I understand that the Naga like the Annunaki also live underground in subterranean cities, is there a correlation between this and Agartha?

As an interesting side-note, linguistically Naga and Annunaki are very similar, the final naki of Annunaki possesses the same first two letters, and though the last two differ they do only slightly, for k and g are both velar consonants, simply voiced and unvoiced variants of the same articulation, philological analyses often face much more difficult anomalies in trying to piece together proto-languages or predictable rules to linguistic evolution. To give a simple example for those who might be unfamiliar to un/voiced orthography changes, think of wolf vs. wolves. Finally, a schwa, as found in nāga is by nature a more or less neutral vowel which usually evolves from a prior vowel's increasingly lax pronunciation until it is reduced to a mid-central vowel, or in layman's terms, nothing at all really, just open your mouth and use your vocal chords with no stress, articulation, tone or the like--this would be the 'uh' sound in English. It can evolve from any vowel, such as the i in Annunaki. See where I'm at?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Have you been reading Sitchin? I read an excoriating critique of his "linguistics" ... somewhere ... lemme find it ...

Ah! Here it is: PaleoBabble (though this isn't the in-depth linguistic critique I was looking for.)
    The Sitchin archive instructs as how to search for Annunaki in a database of Sumerian texts, with video. (Follow the instructions and you can read every instance of the word used in many, many texts.)

Blog post on the video.

All Sitchin posts.
    No! Wait! Here it is: the more in-depth discussion of his linguistic fallacies, found at Sitchin is wrong dot com. Particularly, this article.

My point being ... Sumerian is a language-isolate and Sanskrit is an Indo-European language. Should we assume any correlation besides the seeming (and you really gotta squint to see it) homophony?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Who is that?
  • edited November 2010
    I have always been intimidated by linguistics;
    never took a course. I love the vocabulary!

Glottal

Fricative

So onomatopoetic in their morphology.

The Tibetan 'las-nag' ("dark [karmic] impulse")

iTIUo.jpg
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Wow, since I don't have a lot of computer time, I've been forced to save a large web of pages to a flashdrive that I will slowly read over the course of the next few days, I'll have to revive this thread then. Thank you, you always know the most random things.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    Have you been reading Sitchin? I read an excoriating critique of his "linguistics" ... somewhere ... lemme find it ...

Ah! Here it is: PaleoBabble (though this isn't the in-depth linguistic critique I was looking for.)
    The Sitchin archive instructs as how to search for Annunaki in a database of Sumerian texts, with video. (Follow the instructions and you can read every instance of the word used in many, many texts.)

Blog post on the video.

All Sitchin posts.
    No! Wait! Here it is: the more in-depth discussion of his linguistic fallacies, found at Sitchin is wrong dot com. Particularly, this article.

My point being ... Sumerian is a language-isolate and Sanskrit is an Indo-European language. Should we assume any correlation besides the seeming (and you really gotta squint to see it) homophony?

Didn't the Native Americans have a river called the Pontius? And I thought tons of cultures called the Atlantic ocean by cognates? I know this conspiracy related and without sources because I'm lazy, but eh.. it's a point.
  • edited December 2010
    I was playing around in The Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature. I searched all the texts there for "snake" as a 'label'. I found that the Sumerian for snake is 'muš'.

'Annunaki' is, of course, a transliteration of the Sumerian deity name anuna. The Corpus breaks down the beginning of the word thus:
    an -
    1) "sky, heaven; upper; crown (of a tree)"
    2) "date (palm) spadix"
    Ok, and this is kind of far out: the spathe looks kinda like a king cobra hood, no? Compare the picture of the spadix with the picture of this lingam naga. The spadix becomes the lingam.

Lingam.jpg

rep73.jpg

And here a dissection of a massive spadix.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    lol

don't you know when talking about things like this one must always avoid the overused phrase 'okay.. this is going to be kind of far out..', it reminds me of the culmination of my theories into the blue-beam theory (that not I'm condescending or saying it won't happen), but you get my point ;)

so there's an etymological link between a spadix and snake in Sumerian for obvious reason. i think i'm unfortunately having trouble finding the significance?
  • edited December 2010
    So, they break Anunna down like this:
    AN - A - NU -NA
    AN: We've already seen that AN could refer to a spadix

A: This can refer either to "a bird-cry", "water; semen; progeny", "a text, the scribal exercise a-a", "to do; to make; to act, perform; to proceed, proceeding (math.)", or "a cry of woe; to cry, groan".

NU: This refers to "(small) fly, mosquito", "male genitalia; sperm; offspring", "man", or "(to be) not, no; without, un-".

NA: This is either "(compound verb nominal element)", "man", "pestle; a stone", "stone; stone weight", or "incense (burner)"
    Taken altogether we get SPADIX SEMEN PENIS PESTLE. Basically, all of these elements are the same. And everyone knows what the one-eyed snake is!

I think the significance might be that all of this is masturbatory.

shell1.gif

I AM NO EXPERT ON ANCIENT SUMERIAN. THIS HAS BEEN A TEST OF A LINGUISTIC DATABASE. THIS HAS JUST BEEN A TEST.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    lol

Perhaps it all is masturbatory.

It just seems to me that there's more to the story when entire cultures around the world on different continents seem to have similar beliefs on a variety of topics such as this. Now of course I'm more or less at this point just begging to get into conspiracy theories that are nonsensical on the nature of such a forum, but still, again, there's got to be more to the story.

You know there's stories of the Vikings when they'd been living in Vinland a thousand years ago meeting the Inuits and learning that the Inuits won't venture too far north where they believe there's green foliage and animals because they believe it's inhabited by demons? The vikings proceeded to say something to the effect of 'screw it' and predictably went north anyways, those who went never returned and hence the sudden disappearance of Vinland.

The significance isn't about random blurbs on Agartha, but the fact that the fricking Inuits believed in it and consequently a minority of Icelanders along with all the other random cultures. The obvious ties to Annunaki are there too. Then I'm reading about Nagas receiving dharma talks from Gautama and light bulb.