Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dalai Lama weighs in on science and spirituality

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
The Dalai Lama weighs in on science and spirituality

Tenzin Gyatso, also known as the 14th Dalai Lama, has written an editorial piece in the New York Times today. One of the keenly interesting, and timely, bits is that he claims that if some scientific discovery clearly contradicts Buddhism, then Buddhism itself must adapt. If only other religious leaders were so quick to allow compromise.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    The more I find out he knows, the more my brain feels like exploding! Is there no end to this Man's quest for knowledge, to his curiosity, to his openness?
    What a guy! :ukflag:

(Please mentally visualise Tibetan flag. I thank you!)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Thank you so much for posting that, Brian.

HHDL says:
    If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview.
    I saw him asked what he would do if science proved that rebirth was not possible. He replied that he would immediately stop believing in it!

Those who have untangled themselves from attachment are not even attached to their deepest beliefs. Ignatius of Loyola, threatened with the dissolution of his beloved Company (which became the Society of Jesus) by the Pope, said he needed 15 minutes to become completely reconciled to the loss. Would that I sat as lightly to my own unexamined beliefs to which I cling.
    edited November 2005
    P.S. Perhaps we need a Tibetan-flag-waving emoticon.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Every day that I work I struggle with science, ethics and humanity. Medicine has advanced a great deal and we have things to keep people alive longer. The question always seems to come up "Should they be kept alive longer?" There is a ton of technology and medicines we have that can prolong someones life, but the question of using it is a struggle.

Now, this same technology saved my life at the beginning of the year and I'm glad for it. I was 39 at the time and had many years left to live. When I see that same technology used on 85-90 year olds who are just being kept alive for what ever reason, I struggle. If I know that the person who is laying there wanted all of this machinery and technology, it doesn't bother me a bit. I know that is what they wanted. But when we don't know and the children are making the decisions, then I wonder. Most often, the families want everything done. I find it difficult when the doctor has to make a quick decision, and it is always in the direction of saving lives. I'm not for active euthanasia, but sometimes it seems that letting nature take it's course is the kindest thing to do. Since finding Buddhism, it's made it harder for me in some ways. We are not to kill actively, but at the same time if doing nothing means the termination of life, is that okay? I would always like to say yes. But ethical questions aren't always that easy. Any input here?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I believe this is one of the beauties of Buddhism.

You have a leader of the religion stating that "if something is found to be true, we need to accept that and change our beliefs based upon that truth."

There is no wrangling trying to protect statements or lies that have been followed for centuries. There is no dodging behind the falsehoods you've propogated over the years trying to protect your own "interest" in what you've been teaching. There is no worrying about losing your financial security (because if you now state that "I was wrong" you may lose followers that pay tithes)...

Because "truth" is what matters.

Very interesting article.

-bf
    edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Every day that I work I struggle with science, ethics and humanity. Medicine has advanced a great deal and we have things to keep people alive longer. The question always seems to come up "Should they be kept alive longer?" There is a ton of technology and medicines we have that can prolong someones life, but the question of using it is a struggle.

Now, this same technology saved my life at the beginning of the year and I'm glad for it. I was 39 at the time and had many years left to live. When I see that same technology used on 85-90 year olds who are just being kept alive for what ever reason, I struggle. If I know that the person who is laying there wanted all of this machinery and technology, it doesn't bother me a bit. I know that is what they wanted. But when we don't know and the children are making the decisions, then I wonder. Most often, the families want everything done. I find it difficult when the doctor has to make a quick decision, and it is always in the direction of saving lives. I'm not for active euthanasia, but sometimes it seems that letting nature take it's course is the kindest thing to do. Since finding Buddhism, it's made it harder for me in some ways. We are not to kill actively, but at the same time if doing nothing means the termination of life, is that okay? I would always like to say yes. But ethical questions aren't always that easy. Any input here?

Jerbear,

I'm not sure if you know the Journal of Buddhist Ethics. There is a good article on medical ethics which poses the question of euthanasia and makes it apparent that there is no single position which can be called "Buddhist" in a normative sense:

http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/2/dkhughes.html

EUTHANASIA

There are no monographs devoted specifically to euthanasia in Buddhism. There are a few periodical articles and the subject is dealt within one or two books. Relevant issues are the distinction between various forms of euthanasia (e.g. "active" and "passive") and the use of narcotics in palliative care which may cloud the mind and interfere with the process of dying (Keown, 1995; Kapleau, 1989; Lecso, 1986; Ratanakul, 1988, 1990).
    Kapleau's volume The Wheel of Life and Death (1989) contains a short discussion of euthanasia in conjunction with suicide and it is suggested that Buddhism would reject the practice of either. Ratanakul concurs, reporting "a growing consensus among the Thai public that euthanasia (passive or active) is morally unjustifiable" (1990:27). Keown and Keown (1995) explore Buddhist and Christian attitudes to euthanasia and suggest both oppose it for similar reasons. Nakasone, however, is of the opinion that "Evidence indicates that Buddhists would favor the 'right-to-die' position" (1990:76). Jennifer Green's short article "Death with Dignity: Buddhism" (1989:40-41) discusses only the practicalities of funeral arrangements and does not mention euthanasia. Neuberger (1987) is likewise concerned with practical as opposed to moral issues.
    Euthanasia has been a special feature in two Buddhist magazines, Raft, and Tricycle. London-based Raft, the Journal of the Buddhist Hospice Trust, devoted its No. 2 Winter 1989/90 issue to Euthanasia. Sixteen pages in length it contains short pieces by authors such as Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Ajahn Sumedho, Dame Cicely Saunders and David Stott, exploring the cases for, against, and in terms of a middle way. A similar range of opinions will be found in the Winter 1992 edition of Tricycle, which contains short articles by Patricia Anderson, Jeffrey Hopkins, Philip Kapleau, Chogyam Trungpa, and an interview with author Stephen Levine.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    All,

This is all just my opinion on the ending of a life from the stance of the Theravadin Suttas, but there is the case of one monk who decided to end his own life and was found 'blameless' by the Buddha. This was recorded in the Channovada Sutta: Majjhima Nikaya 144.

It appears from this account that at the end of this monk's life, when the body's pain was unbearable but the mind was free from clinging, the ending of that life was accepted as 'blameless'. Now, this Sutta is in no way promoting suicide, or the taking of a life, but the Buddha makes one point clear:

‘Sariputta, there may be the families of venerable Channa’s friends, well-wishers and earlier relatives, I say, there is no fault to that extent. Sariputta, if someone gives up this body and seizes another, I say it is a fault. In the bhikkhu that fault is not apparent. Bhikkhu Channa took his life faultlessly.'

- From the Channovada Sutta

In the Theravadin view, when an un-Awakened person makes the decision to end a life, whether it be another's or their own, there may be fault because that person is not fully Enlightened and therefore may not know exactly why they have made that decision in the first place (not to mention the other person's situation). There is the possibility that such a decision could be made out of the defilements of greed, hatred, and delusion, and such an action would be propelling that existence further into the cycle of death and rebirth (besides giving the person who committed the act itself the most unwholesome of kamma).

So you see, from the Theravadin perspective, not only would it depend on your state of mind, but theirs as well. It is not so simple as to say, "It's ok as long as it is done out of compassion." or "Such a thing is not accepted at all." It is a very complicated, and muchly debated topic amongst Theravadins.

I hope that my opinion is in line with what the Buddha taught, and not offensive in anyway. If you find me or my interpretations in error, I apologize.

:)

Jason
    edited November 2005
    All,

These are wise words spoken by a wise person. It is hard to find fault with such a man. Even if I do not practice Tibetan (Vajrayana) Buddhism, I still see the Noble Eight fold Path in his actions of body, speech, and mind.

Jason
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Simon,
    Thank you for the references. It made things as clear as mud! Having worked in the ICU for the past 5 years, I've seen so much suffering. As Jason pointed out, if we aren't enlightened, we're taking a risk. I don't think most people are enlightened.

Four years ago, I made the decision to have my twin sister taken off life support d/t brain death after a massive brain aneurysm burst. No question that "she" was gone. When I only hear moans from some one, I'm not sure if they are just in pain or are they trying to tell me something. I always follow the orders that are in force at that time, whether I agree with them or not.

Euthanasia is always a sticky topic no matter what school of thought one is coming from.
    edited November 2005
    Jerry,

I am sorry to hear about your sister. Sometimes we simply do not know what the best thing to do is. In her case, however, I believe that you made the right decision. As for while you're at work, I think it is the wisest choice to follow the orders that are enforced at the time. In hospitals the decision is usually the families, or the doctors, to make. Whether you like the decision or not, it is best to respect their wishes.

That is my belief anyway.

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Ethics, whether Buddhist or Christian or humanistic, are challenges to us. They are not a set of stone-engraved rules as any of us who have lived more than 5 minutes have found out.

Buddhism, in particular, poses moment-by-moment existential questions for each of us.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Jerry,

I am sorry to hear about your sister. Sometimes we simply do not know what the best thing to do is. In her case, however, I believe that you made the right decision. As for while you're at work, I think it is the wisest choice to follow the orders that are enforced at the time. In hospitals the decision is usually the families, or the doctors, to make. Whether you like the decision or not, it is best to respect their wishes.

That is my belief anyway.

Jason

Jason,

For me to do other than the written orders is illegal and reason for me to lose my nursing license and go to prison. Good reasons for following the orders. One thing we do as nurses is to let the families know as much as we can while following that thin line of what the doctor's want the families to know. In ICU, we start talking about what the patient would have wanted right away because it can be a lengthy illness for some.

I also agree that it isn't my business to make the decision or to like them. I try to be as respectful as possible. I try to remember that I really don't know the person in the bed. The family is looking at them in a totally different manner. I know that when I looked at my sister I kept hoping that brain function would return but knowing as a nurse it wasn't going to happen. I was medical power of attorney for her as she was single. Luckily her minister was there to help out the rest of the family while I dealt with the medical aspects. Some family members had a hard time believing that she was actually brain dead. But I also thought of the past 36 years we had spent together also. My point is that whatever decision someone makes isn't just for what is going on that moment, but for someone's lifetime. Thank you for your input as I think you are quite wise.
    edited November 2005
    Jerry,

Well, you're welcome for my input, but I wouldn't agree that I am wise. I'm really more of a wise-ass in person.

;)

Jason
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Jason,
    When I met Brian for coffee, he told me about you. I'm amazed at how far you've come. I have to be honest and say I respect the fact that you have studied so much and can answer alot for us beginners. I am really trying to follow what my teacher is telling me to do also, because there are times I want to dive in deeper and he wants me to "Keep it simple". I would add the last s, but it wouldn't be nice. And by the way, I'm a smart aleck also.
    edited November 2005
    It may surprise some people but check this out:

A cardinal asks faithful not to discount science

By Nicole Winfield, Associated Press | November 4, 2005

VATICAN CITY -- A Vatican cardinal said yesterday that the faithful should listen to what secular modern science has to offer, and warned that religion risks turning into ''fundamentalism" if it ignores scientific reason.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, a Frenchman who heads the Pontifical Council for Culture, made the comments at a news conference on a project to help end the ''mutual prejudice" between religion and science that has been an issue for the Roman Catholic Church, and that is part of the evolution debate in the United States.

The Vatican project was inspired by Pope John Paul II's 1992 declaration that the church's 17th-century denunciation of Galileo was an error resulting from ''tragic mutual incomprehension."

Galileo was condemned for supporting Nicolaus Copernicus's discovery that the Earth revolved around the sun; church teaching at the time placed the Earth at the center of the universe.

''The permanent lesson that the Galileo case represents pushes us to keep alive the dialogue between the various disciplines," Poupard said.

But he said that science, too, should listen to religion.

''We know where scientific reason can end up by itself: the atomic bomb and the possibility of cloning human beings are fruit of a reason that wants to free itself from every ethical or religious link," he said.

''But we also know the dangers of a religion that severs its links with reason, and becomes prey to fundamentalism," he said.

''The faithful have the obligation to listen to that which secular modern science has to offer," he added, ''just as we ask that knowledge of the faith be taken in consideration as an expert voice."

Poupard and others were asked about the religion-science debate raging in the United States over evolution and ''intelligent design."

Intelligent design's supporters argue that natural selection, an element of evolutionary theory, cannot fully explain the origin of life.

The Rev. Monsignor Gianfranco Basti of the Vatican project Science, Theology and Ontological Quest, affirmed John Paul's 1996 statement that evolution was ''more than just a hypothesis."

''Evolution is more than a hypothesis," Basti said, ''because there is proof."
    The context:
    The STOQ Project II (Science, Theology and the Ontological Quest):
    • Is founded on the collaboration of three Pontifical Roman Universities: Lateran, Gregorian and Regina Apostolorum. From this year other three Pontifical Universities - the St.Thomas, the Salesian and the Holy Cross - started to collaborate at the STOQ Project II.
    • Is coordinated by the Pontifical Council for Culture with the support of the John Templeton Foundation.
    • Is aimed at developing the dialogue between Science, Philosophy, and Theology, in order to confront the Christian vision of world, man and society with the many theoretical, ethical and cultural challenges raised by the developments of science.
    • Is to be immersed over three years (from 2003 to 2006), into different Study and Research Programs in the Universities involved in the Project. Students can follow courses of The STOQ Project in all the Universities involved. These courses will be recognized within each University and can be inserted into the student curricula.
    • Is directed at students, scientists, philosophers, theologians and all those interested in deepening the rational basis of their faith, or exploring the possibility of being believers at the beginning of the Third Millennium.

Reference: http://www.stoqnet.org/index_e.html
    edited November 2005
    Jerry,

What did he tell you...!?!? It's all a lie! I was never in Texas, I don't even know what a knoll is!

...er...

I hope it was ALL good things. *eyes Brian*

;)

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Jerry,

To be serious though, thank you for what you've said. I do study a lot, and I attempt to help those with questions the best that I can, but that is all. There is nothing wise about that. I am sure that my understanding of what the Buddha taught is infinitely small compared to the actual truth of it all. While I appreciate the nice things you say about me (I honestly feel very happy when I read them) I do not feel I am deserving of them. I am afraid people might get the wrong idea about me and think I really do know a lot!

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Elohim,

I think it's the kindness and understanding you convery when you are helping the rest of us that makes people feel like they do towards you.

-bf
    edited November 2005
    ''The faithful have the obligation to listen to that which secular modern science has to offer," he added, ''just as we ask that knowledge of the faith be taken in consideration as an expert voice."

I still find statements like this amazing.

How can faith be taken as an expert voice. Faith in it self provides no reason, no basis, no nothing. It is the very basis of faith that you believe without evidence.

How can faith be applied to science?

Good post, Simon.

-bf