Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would you support this idea?

edited December 2010 in General Banter
So I just had a flash of insight into something I want to do with a hobby of mine.

Has anyone ever seen a 3D lenticular poster before? They are the pictures that look like they have multiple 3D layers, or when you look at the poster from different angles, the scene changes/moves like its animated. Pretty much a hologram on a poster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing

Well I during my free time sometimes I like to make fractal images on my laptop. I spend anywhere from an hour to 3 hours to make them. A couple of my better ones are attached here. (Best viewed at high resolutions)

So what if I printed some of these out as lenticular posters, sold them, and donated all of the money toward a worthy cause? I was thinking about a homeless shelter or some sort of benefits for the homeless program, because I see them a lot in Denver and Boulder and it really gets to me.

Would you pay $10-$20 for one of these posters, knowing I would donate 100% to a cause like this (well maybe %95 to pay for printing costs? Just asking as an open ended question...like if you saw someone selling them at a concert or on the street or whatever. Would you buy one?

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I'd probably say something like "Hey, Hippie scum! Did they really have to be fractals?! Can't your fried brain come up with anything else??"

But sure, I might buy one, if I liked the colors :)
  • edited December 2010
    Colors are what I spend the most time on by far!!

And hey what do you have against fractals. And hippies for that matter! :D
  • edited December 2010
    Colors are what I spend the most time on by far!!

And hey what do you have against fractals. And hippies for that matter! :D

A wise man is neither yuppie nor hippie. Ever heard of non-dualism? :P

And fractals can be cool. As long as there wasn't hippie labor involved. I like oranges and yellows and reds.
  • edited December 2010
    Haha..well, some people would call me a hippie but I've been to a lot of music festivals (yes I see the irony in this statement :) )...I am NOT a hippie.

What do you think of the colors in the ones I posted?

This is another one with cool colors
  • edited December 2010
    Woah damn..apparently its just going to show the image.

That works..
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I like it. Count me in. You'd have to remind me when it's done though, I'd probably overlook it otherwise.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited December 2010
    what I can say is that... visual information is part of "maia".

http://elvenmuse.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/fractals/

...and that mind is one of the senses that humans have (that catpath shouldn't be there).

I will be uploading the .flame files someday...

your images are hypnotic/conducive_to_meditation.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I believe I would support pretty much anything related to the homeless cause. ॐ
  • I believe I would support pretty much anything related to the homeless cause. ॐ
    i prefer a mobile life
    ॐ gli alberi sono le mie case / trees are my home ॐ
  • edited January 2011
    IMO, You'd need some legal proof you are doing what you say with the money. I think you'd need a lawyer to set up a non-profit thing for that and also so you don't have tax problems.

Perhaps it is easier and better for you to hitch up with an existing proven non-profit charity with their auctions or similar established fund raising venues. There is no shortage of legitimate fund raisers these days. Good luck. Great idea. :thumbsup: