Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monastic life

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hi, I have a quick question...

Is it possible for people to take temporary monk vows? (not including confession)

What I mean is, to take lay-monk vows for a few years while staying at a monastery. Then, returning to non-monk vows when you leave the monastery.

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Which tradition do you intend to take vows in R?
  • edited December 2010
    Well... I've been considering joining a monastery for a 3year 3month 3day retreat to learn and practice the dharma so I can be of more use to retreat centers.

Mmm... What I've been introduced to is Vajrayana buddhism of the nyingma tradition.

So, my question would be if I can take the vows temporarily? (with this as the intention from the beginning).
  • edited December 2010
    You can leave anytime you want. Monks do leave. The question of whether they'd take you if you were upfront about your temp. status, I don't know but why not? (Hopefully someone will join the discussion who can say for sure.)
  • edited December 2010
    Well... I've been considering joining a monastery for a 3year 3month 3day retreat to learn and practice the dharma so I can be of more use to retreat centers.

Mmm... What I've been introduced to is Vajrayana buddhism of the nyingma tradition.

So, my question would be if I can take the vows temporarily? (with this as the intention from the beginning).

Any tradition is fine and the focus of any one tradition in this duration should be able to acquire the understanding of all traditions from the perspective of one tradition.
    In fact, uou need not have to renounce like monks / nuns. Probably after three years of retreat, you feel suitable and has achieved bliss and serenity from within from the retreat, you may choose to renounce for the benefit of sentient beings.
  • edited December 2010
    I think for a 3 year retreat ordination can be taken for the duration of the retreat with the option to give back the robes at the end of it.

You really need to discuss it with the appropriate people at the monastery rather than on the internet, because Vajrayana traditions vary a little in their approach to certain things. There used to be a requirement for long retreats for the participants to have some knowlege of the classical Tibetan language of the texts and also to have completed certain teachings and practices first, however that might have changed now but I doubt anyone would be accepted for a 3 year retreat without any previous experience of Vajrayana practices. There are also other details which aren't generally given out to the public.

Contacting the monastery for the details is always best to avoid confusion.

• edited December 2010

Yes. You can take ordination and give the vows back up to 3 times per life.
    There is no need to take ordination for a 3 year retreat though if thats what you are interested in.
  • edited December 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    I think for a 3 year retreat ordination can be taken for the duration of the retreat with the option to give back the robes at the end of it.

You really need to discuss it with the appropriate people at the monastery rather than on the internet, because Vajrayana traditions vary a little in their approach to certain things. There used to be a requirement for long retreats for the participants to have some knowlege of the classical Tibetan language of the texts and also to have completed certain teachings and practices first, however that might have changed now but I doubt anyone would be accepted for a 3 year retreat without any previous experience of Vajrayana practices. There are also other details which aren't generally given out to the public.

Contacting the monastery for the details is always best to avoid confusion.

Yes, I'm speaking down the road of course... I still very much intend to spend about a year in California at the Nyingma Institute participating in their work/study program. They'll be able to give me some working knowledge of Tibetan language/culture and the appropriate teachings.

I was just curious if this would be an option to take temporary vows while residing at a monastery for the 3 year retreat. There may not be a "need" to take the vows... But I believe it would be beneficial to me :)

Thanks everyone :)