Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shakra Devanam Indra

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
What's the actual approach to studying this buddhist figure? Within the schools/branches?

Do you consider it to be a metaphor? A real (temporal) being? Or that even questioning about this brahma is conducive to more time spent on samsAra?

Maha-Assapura Sutra quote:

The Blessed One said, "'Contemplative, contemplatives': That is how people perceive you. And when asked, 'What are you?' you claim that 'We are contemplatives.' So, with this being your designation and this your claim, this is how you should train yourselves: 'We will undertake & practice those qualities that make one a contemplative, that make one a brahman, so that our designation will be true and our claim accurate; so that the services of those whose robes, alms-food, lodging, and medicinal requisites we use will bring them great phAla & great reward; and so that our going forth will not be barren, but fruitful & fertile.'[1]

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Depends entirely on you, and the tradition that you follow. Obviously not all Buddhist traditions have "guardian deities". :)

I am confused though, if you have abandoned the five lower fetters and are Anagami as you've indicated on another thread, why you're asking this particular question at all...?
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited December 2010
    because if all the fantasies (or even some of them) of the samaric wandereres came "true". Then, I will like to invoke Shakra Devånam Indra; help him defeat the other devas and brahmas... and apply for the position of Shakra Devånam Indra.

HOWEVER, this dellusion will only be used until 2014... even though, I'm not entirely sure if this figure is "fictional".
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    I mean, 2012... Quetzalcoatl, Ragnarok, Apocalipsis...

it will be nice to have a stock of popcorn for this few years.
  • edited December 2010
    He is pretty awsome. We owe alot to celestial beings for they convinced the Buddha to stay and teach us.
    edited December 2010
    once one enters the path, samsAra gets too tedious...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Really V? Really?
    edited December 2010
    Yes, I'm just focusing on Anxiety now... who wants to feel anxious? I may even get fired! And that's one of eight aspects of the noble path... I don't want to be begging for food in the streets, at least not in Kali Yuga.

But if someone gives me some coffee and food, then I can help him or her in any way =)
  • edited December 2010
    Vincenzi wrote: »
    because if all the fantasies (or even some of them) of the samaric wandereres came "true". Then, I will like to invoke Shakra Devånam Indra; help him defeat the other devas and brahmas... and apply for the position of Shakra Devånam Indra.

HOWEVER, this dellusion will only be used until 2014... even though, I'm not entirely sure if this figure is "fictional".
    He should just beat up Mara! :D
  • well... oh "boy":

(11) Devas Wielding Power over the Creation of Others (paranimmita-vasavatti deva) These devas enjoy sense pleasures created by others for them. Mara, the personification of delusion and desire, lives here. · Ten wholesome actions (MN 41)
    · Generosity

As Far As (i) Know, does not exist... buddhist logic proof: Mara is an aspect of citta, a pollutant/poison of viñana, // reading "Janussonin Sutta: To Janussonin" while posting // not an actual being. shakyamuni is a prefered name for tathagata.

(22) Unconscious beings (asaññasatta) Only body is present; no mind. ..."babies"; probably living in // using http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/7/7d/Pleiadi_it.jpg // Alcyone, sons of Atlante and Elettra. Note: this probably is because the information am writting is highly encrypted... a gift from pleadi if you will. nimmanarati deva = pleiadi. 3 years to get there, 8 years to come back (as bardo's; bodhisattva vows required).

(31) Neither-perception-nor-non-perception (nevasaññanasaññayatanupaga deva) The inhabitants of these realms are possessed entirely of mind. Having no physical body, they are unable to hear Dhamma teachings*. Fourth formless jhana
    (30) Nothingness (akiñcaññayatanupaga deva) Third formless jhana
    (29) Infinite Consciousness (viññanañcayatanupaga deva) Second formless jhana
    (28) Infinite Space (akasanañcayatanupaga deva) First formless jhana

*unless they have boddhi-citta'based access to tathaGathaGarba.

0) PariNirvåna : only accessible to anagåmi's that take the bodhisattva vow (actually forse-gami vow: only rupa and arupa råga left), and to samyak buddha's. /AFAIK!

This are still 31 planes of existance.