Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Addiction

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
I am new to Buddhism and I am a smoke cigarettes. I have been trying to defeat this battle for quite some time and I could really use some good advice. I realize this is something that I must do, and decide to do for myself, as well as others, but I'm still struggling.I read a book about sitting with discomfort but I haven't quite won this battle. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    amylynn518 wrote: »
    I am new to Buddhism and I am a smoke cigarettes. I have been trying to defeat this battle for quite some time and I could really use some good advice. I realize this is something that I must do, and decide to do for myself, as well as others, but I'm still struggling.I read a book about sitting with discomfort but I haven't quite won this battle. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I would really appreciate it.

Not really words of wisdom, but you can find some of my thoughts on addiction here.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Talk to your doctor about your options. Best bet is to try multiple different things; a doc at least could prescribe patches or nicotine gum. These would help with the physical side of the addiction -- however there is a mental aspect as well.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2010
    When I quit smoking (back in 1995) I told myself the only thing I needed to do was not pick up a cigarette. I told myself this one thing over and over. I had no ideas of Buddhism back then. I also drank a lot of water whenever the urge would well up. i also ate alot and had an obsession with tomatos and basil:rolleyes: i found out later that tomato plants are related to to tobacco plants. When that urge comes on, sit with it and ride it out, it will stop. It will see-saw like this for some time and eventually it becomes less and less. For me it was about a month out I started feeling pretty good, but I couldn't be around people smoking. About a year out it felt like a memory. My best to you. Hard habit to break. People will quit heroin, coke, alcohol but they won't quit smoking, it can be that tough. Stay strong, many years down the road you will be greatful for your health and not having the misery of COPD or lung cancer. Know that by the time you experience a serious breathing issue related to smoking, you have destroyed anywhere from 50-75% of your lung tissue, at that point there is no turning around. My dad had COPD, he couldn't breath. Toward the end of his life eating became too taxing. He shot himself. I am not trying to be over the top I just want to give you some food for thought.
    With Metta,
    Todd
  • edited December 2010
    Once you have decided, you win half the battle against odd. the next step is determination.

600,000 die each year from passive smoking
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/health/view/1095648/1/.html

http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/effects-of-smoking.php
    Smoking cigarettes can harm almost every organ in your body, from top to bottom and inside and out. Moreover, it is only now that doctors are beginning to discover the true extent of the harm that smoking can cause to a person's health and to the health of those around him.

In the UK around 120,000 people die each year from smoking-related diseases. 50% of long-term smokers die prematurely from smoking, a large number of them when they reach middle age.

Globally around 2.5 million people die each year from smoking and it has been estimated that some time during the 2020's the number of deaths caused by smoking will hit the 10 million mark.

With Metta!
  • edited December 2010
    Hey, I just read this somewhere... If you want to give up smokiing, you need to drink plain water with a straw... This will give you the satisfaction and will also clean whatever lining....
    And for the buddhist thing, do meditation.. Like Thich Nhat Hanh said, become mindful of your breath whenever you get such urges...

Love And Light,
    Nidish
  • edited December 2010
    I had my doctor prescribe Chantix. I smoked for 10 years and was able to kick the habbit in 4 weeks. I would talk to a doctor about it.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2010
    amylynn518 wrote: »

Everyone struggles with their addictions friend.
    Bring to mind the effects of actions...Try not lighting them as well :o
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    No words of wisdom are gonna help you quit smoking until you have a firm desire to do so planted within yourself.

Sorry, but this is something you're going to have to do yourself, by yourself, and for yourself. I can't figure out why this subject needed two threads in less than a week —unless maybe you just want somebody else to make you feel all good about yourself. Well, that will achieve nothing.

I'm assuming that you're no older than 30 or so and have plenty of time to learn what it is that you really want. For now, just cut down and look for words of wisdom within yourself. Those are the best, for they are truer.