Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist.com's new look

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited December 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
Got a lot of work done on the theme for our forthcoming new forum software. I'm very much keeping the same style and color scheme, but hopefully the new layout will feel a little lighter, simpler, and easier to use.

Here's the header so far. The big white area is where discussions will go - I blanked them out since they still look icky as I haven't gotten past the header & page frame.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Neat.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Looks a nice improvement ... thanks for all your hard work
  • edited December 2010
    cool!
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    edited December 2010
    1) Some time back I conveyed a request: The vacant space on the left column below member avatar/details can be appropriated to display the posts. I need big size fonts so I use zoom so much that the contents spreads beyond the computer screen and that requires more scrolling.

2) I also would like to see chronological list of postings. That will helpme to check the posts I might have missed since my previous visit.

3)Often I am reluctant to post something cos I suspect the issue might have been already touched elsewhere in the forum. I am not sure how to search the posts for a specific key word/issue.

Please see if my request is workable.

Thanks.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Tanda, I'm definitely looking forward to community feedback on the new site so that we can make improvements regularly and quickly after the migration. However, let's wait to actually see it before making more requests, OK? :) All of your concerns are already addressed by the new software.
    edited December 2010
    The really exciting thing is that every time I come back to the theme now I have to remind myself I'm not actually on NewBuddhist :D The translation is working really well; it already feels like home.
    edited December 2010
    More!
    edited December 2010
    Inside a discussion. May get tweaked some more before launch, but this is quite close.
  • edited December 2010
    Nice Lincoln! I like the 'filterable' aspect on the forum view page. I'm starting a music community sometime soon and am considering using Vanilla. But going to try it out here first :)
    edited December 2010
    am considering using Vanilla.
    Great! After the move, I'll be making some posts about the new features available to everyone. Right now I'm concentrating on what people need to save and what things will look like so there's not information overload :D
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I have an idea Lincoln, not sure if this is something that'd be easy to do though. How about an option to be notified by e-mail of new threads? Possibly with criteria so it's only of certain sections of the forum, or from certain posters.

I for one would not mind getting e-mails telling me there was a new thread. It would not only be easier to find them, but the thread-poster would get a lot more replies if a number of others used that option. Default would be off/no of course. :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Nice.

Looking forward to the new side-bar menu for switching forums.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    I have an idea Lincoln, not sure if this is something that'd be easy to do though. How about an option to be notified by e-mail of new threads? Possibly with criteria so it's only of certain sections of the forum, or from certain posters.

I for one would not mind getting e-mails telling me there was a new thread. It would not only be easier to find them, but the thread-poster would get a lot more replies if a number of others used that option. Default would be off/no of course. :)

Cloud, read Lincoln's post (#6) and be patient....!

Personally, I think the above is unnecessary.
    There's nothing wrong with coming in and looking at the new posts. All of those with a zero or fewer than 3 replies are basically 'new' threads.... why make extra work where it's not really needed?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    ooo didn't see that. well I am patient, just had the idea since there are changes being made. again, missed it, sorry. :)
    edited December 2010
    Sunday is the big day!
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Lincoln, I'm looking forward to the change. Thanks for your hard work and being such a good forum admin!
  • edited December 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Sunday is the big day!

facebook-like-buton.pngImostLight likes this
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Hey, How do you get rid of or change bookmarked threads in right column of your page? I'm assuming that, with perhaps the exception of a few stickies, that these are "self-generated" and unique to each of us.

For the time being I'm saving my comments, as I get acclimatized here. However, I do like the look of continuity very much.

I am also writing this to experiment with editing, deleting, etc. I'm very much hoping that this can still be done.
  • Lovely...
    @Nirvana, to add and remove bookmarks, click the lotus flower.
  • edited December 2010
    i didnt like it at first... but now i do :D
  • I just wish the framing of posts was bigger. It kinda feels like reading an RSS feed. But apart from that everything looks great :)

Oh and a quicker way of accessing Bold, Italic, Quote, Post image etc
    @Epicurus Both are in the works.
  • Like Epicurus above, I like to use multiple quotes, different graphics (italics, bold, underline) and maybe I'm being lazy and just not seeing those options. I'm sure you guys are aware and things will turn out great but just wanted to mention this. The avatars are very small. Also will you allow us to post photos? Again, no demands or expectations from me, just talking and being constructive with suggestions. Thanks!
    @Roger You can "Attach a file" below the reply box if you want to post photos. I may indeed change the avatar size soon, but not immediately. You can do italics and bold with HTML, but there is no button for them at the moment. I do, however, plan to add back a button for simple formatting like that. Multi-quotes are gone for now, though you *can* click "Quote" on multiple posts and they'll stack nicely in the reply box.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @Lincoln, something I noticed. I had 8 e-mail notifications when I got online this afternoon, and they all ended up being from the same thread; I was sent one for each poster that posted to the thread. And that's not all... there were other threads that had new posts, but I didn't get e-mails about any of those.

BTW I have all checkmarks marked in preferences for e-mail notifications.
  • @Lincoln one more thing I noticed, when you post in a thread now it doesn't automatically bookmark that thread.